The Chieftain (The Return of the…

The Chieftain (The Return of the Highlanders)

by Margaret Mallory

This is a new author for me, and starting with book four was a disadvantage to be sure. However, by the time I was done reading this story, I realized that the author actually did an outstanding job making sure the story stood on its own. She made sure that I wasn’t lost and even though the past characters kept popping in and out of this story, I felt she made sure her focus stayed on Connor and Ilysa.

As always, with each new author, comes new voice and it took me about half way through to get the hang of Ms. Mallory’s voice. Once I did, I relaxed and enjoyed the ride.

There are a few things to recommend this story and here are just a few from my observations.

I found the story solidly written, fast paced and the plot, albeit predictable, compelling and believable.

Ms. Mallory gave us a great Alpha hero who I found likable and heroic, while his heroine was sweet and innocent. Just a perfect counterpart to him.

What I also found much to my liking were the secondary characters that quickly grew on me [read, need to buy the other three books, like… now!].

I have no doubt that the fans of Margaret Mallory will love the end to this series, and the ones that never read her work, such as myself, will be making sure to visit their nearest book store to pick up the earlier books in this series. If you are in a mood for a light and entertaining story with men in kilts, this one will definitely fill the bill!

Melanie for b2b

*Book provided by the publisher through NetGalley. ( )
  bookworm2bookworm | Mar 30, 2017 |
4 ½ Stars - Review to come ( )
  BookaholicCat | Mar 4, 2015 |
A good historical romance with lots of fast paced exciting action. I was gripped by the angst in the relationship and while I felt the heroine was demeaned I also understood dilemma. Ilysa loves Connor and chooses to follow him to his new lands knowing as Chieftain he must marry for duty.
  Dawn772 | Jan 29, 2015 |
Margaret Mallory has done it again with this last book in her Highlander series. Connor is definitely alpha material with a soft spot in his heart for long-time friend, Ilysa. Ms. Mallory wove a very interesting plot that had me wondering how Connor and Ilysa were going to get their HEA because it seemed impossible. Brava to the author for keeping this reader entertained and guessing until the very end. I highly recommend this read and can't wait to see what Ms. Mallory publishes next. ( )
  JamiDavenport | Apr 2, 2014 |
Enter Our Highlander Giveaway! 1/29/13 to 2/20/13

Originally Reviewed At: Mother/Gamer/Writer
Rating: 5 out of 5 Controllers
Review Source: Publisher
Reviewer: CrayolaKym

“It takes a brave man to approach Duncan MacDonald’s sister, which can be the only explanation for why such a gem is yet unclaimed.” Chpt 17

Chieftain of the MacDonald Clan, Conner is everything a woman is looking. Well built, a natural born leader, and a strong will to protect his people, he must find his equal to stand beside him and defeat his enemies and his eye is longingly set upon Ilysa, a woman without powerful alliances, wealth, or anything to offer as much needed unity per say. Having had numerous attempts against his life by his Uncle Hugh who also desires to be Chieftain, Conner has some heavy decisions to make and quickly.

Ilysa is gifted in as many ways as she in beautiful, despite hiding it behind a cap and dreadful clothes, but a humbly proud woman albeit. After one of her visions leads to her locking up Conner in his own dungeon to prevent his death, she retreats back to Dunscaith Castle after his tempter gets the best, spending her time beautifying and primping in preparation for a life without the man she fancies, but how can she when her every thought returns to this godlike creature?

When Conner eventually catches up to Ilysa again he is bewildered at her transformation and wants her now more than ever. Now to just convince her she has more to offer then she thinks and to break it to his close friend, Iylsa’s older brother, he desires her and wants her by his side. Can Iylsa find it in herself to be what Connor needs? Can she prove she is the woman he needs by his side and make him see?

Mallory is a heart-stopping epistler whose writing draws the reader in quickly and begging for more. This book is part of a series, however, easily reads as a standalone as I have not read the prior books and would never have known it part of a series. Her style of character building is impressive as she strives to build strong characters, with obvious flaws, making the stories more personal.

momgamerwriter | Jul 17, 2013 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0446583111, Mass Market Paperback)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:08 -0400)

"Connor, chieftain of the MacDonalds of Sleat, holds the fate of his people in his hands. Rival clans are plotting to take over his lands, and duty determines whom he will fight, trust . . . even marry. Seeking guidance, Connor turns to Ilysa, a young lass with the gift of foresight, who reveals an approaching danger-and a passion that burns only for him. But the warrior must make a powerful marriage alliance, and Ilysa's bloodline is far too humble. With her powers to heal and see evil where others cannot, beautiful Ilysa dresses plainly, speaks softly, and loves her chieftain from afar. Yet when Connor finally stokes the embers of desire that have so long burned within her, Ilysa feels bliss unlike any she's ever known. Now as he is forced to place duty before happiness, Ilysa senses Connor is in grave peril. Can she find a way to prove she is the woman he needs by his side?"--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

Margaret Mallory is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,989,360 books! | Top bar: Always visible