Diary of a Worm by Doreen Cronin

Diary of a Worm

by Doreen Cronin

Other authors: Harry Bliss (Illustrator)

Series: Diary of a... (1)

What's it like to be a worm growing up as a little brother trying to learn not to eat his homework and how to get along with spiders? This book will tell you. Simple, charming and funny.
  mikeswanson | May 10, 2017 |
perspective on life as a worm. The worm goes through trials that many readers can relate to: nightmares, fun at school, arguments with friends, and many more. The worms’ perspective is comically depicted, highlighted by the illustrations done by Harry Bliss. Differences between the worm and the reader are shown as well: the worm enjoys scaring humans on the sidewalk after the rain, is praised for playing in the dirty, and eats junk with his family at dinner. These connections to the story made it a quick, enjoyable read.
However, when considering this story under the lens of literature, I could not help but notice that this story lacked many of the necessary elements of a story. This plot lacks over ally conflict, rising action, a climax, and falling action. Each page is an entry in the worms’ diary, which is comical but lacks overall substance. I did not feel like there was much of a deep message in this story, because very little actually happened. After reading this, I did not feel like I had any sense of connection with any of the characters. Usually, a diary format would lend itself to creating a deep connection with the main character, and had more conflict and conflict resolution happened in the story then the reader would have walked away feeling like they actually understand the worm. Instead, they are only offered a flat snapshot of this worms’ character.
The message of this book, though not deep, was: there are similarities and differences between the reader and all creatures on the planet. ( )
  elaine.shea | Apr 3, 2017 |
Book Review
The early reader book by Doreen Cronin shows us the day to day life of a worm through short journal entries. The worm spends his days with his friend spider, who the worm often compares himself to. At one point in the book the worm burrows in the ground to help the Earth Breathe and he tries to teach his spider friend how but fails. Later, he learns that he and spider are different and he enjoys being a worm.

Personal Reflection
For me the Diary of a Worm is a good children’s book for beginning readers. Its small entries and colorful illustrations will help keep the children involved. It also has valuable lessons children can learn from.

Classroom Extension Ideas:
1. Have students write their own fake diary entries like the worm.
2. Let students talk about one of their friends who are different from them like the worm and spider ( )
  tabithamarie | Mar 24, 2017 |
Diary of a Worm follows the daily activities of a worm. It interprets a child's interactions at school and with their family and friends through the eyes of a worm. This particular worm goes to school, hangs out with his best friend spider and bothers his sister at home. I think this book could be a great starting point for children in the classroom to write their own diary entries from another's perspective in a humorous way. Genre - Picture Book.
  nicoleconduff | Mar 19, 2017 |
This book is about a little worm who learns about the world around him and journals his findings. Some days he finds more things he likes about being a worm and other days he finds things he dislikes about being a worm. This is a good fantasy book because worms don't journal or do personified things like write or go to school. I would use this for primary. The illustrations are watercolor. ( )
  SkyD17 | Feb 24, 2017 |

Doreen Croninprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bliss, HarryIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For “the boys” – Ken, Sean, Ryan, Patrick, and Timothy – D.C. /
For Rozzie and Cheetah – H.B.
March 20 / Mom says there are three things I should always remember: 1. The earth gives us everything we need. 2. When we dig tunnels, we help take care of the earth. 3. Never bother Daddy when he’s eating the newspaper.

This book provides a nice balance with touches of science here and there; the worm protagonist (clearly in elementary school) mentions a couple of times that he and his family enrich the soil with their castings and that the worms and the Earth depend on each other. Funny for younger elementary-age kids, who will appreciate the physical humor and big-sister jokes. Diary format makes this work impractical for a readaloud -- but the scrapbook-photo-style illustrations on the final pages are a very nice touch.

AR 2.8, Pts 0.5

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 006000150X, Hardcover)

Doreen Cronin (Click, Clack Moo: Cows That Type) and cartoonist Harry Bliss (illustrator of A Fine, Fine School) shed a whole new light on a creature that spends most of its time underground: the earthworm. Written in diary form, this truly hilarious picture book tracks the ins and outs of a worm's life from the perspective of the worm family's young son. Take June 15's entry: "My older sister thinks she's so pretty. I told her that no matter how much time she spends looking in the mirror, her face will always look just like her rear end. Spider thought that was really funny. Mom did not." Except for the fact that he can't chew gum or have a dog, the boy likes being a worm. He never has to go to the dentist ("No cavities--no teeth, either"), he never gets in trouble for tracking mud through the house, and he never has to take a bath. As long as he can remember Mom's rule "Never bother Daddy when he's eating the newspaper," all is well. Bliss's endearing cartoonish illustrations of anthropomorphized worms are clever visual punchlines for Cronin's delightfully deadpan humor. For example, "June 5: Today we made macaroni necklaces in art class" sounds normal enough until you see the worms wearing one piece of macaroni around their necks, taking up a good part of each worm's body. Children and adults alike will adore this worm's eye perspective on the world. (Ages 6 and older) --Karin Snelson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:09 -0400)

A young worm discovers, day by day, that there are some very good and some not so good things about being a worm in this great big world.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,412,919 books! | Top bar: Always visible