Diary of a Worm by Doreen Cronin

Diary of a Worm

by Doreen Cronin

Series: Diary of a... (1)

This book had great humor, was in the setup as a diary, and it showed how the life of a worm in a way kids will understand. Both adults and children will love this book. ( )
  TeresaCruz | Oct 11, 2014 |
This is a great book for teachers to use in the classroom! There's examples of journal writing and it's an interesting way to have students do reports on animals. It shows them how to look at life through the animal's perspective. It allows for creative writing mixed with non-fiction writing. And the illustrations are a lot of fun! ( )
  mccooln | May 8, 2014 |
I know this is a bold statement, but this book just became one of my favorites. This story is informational, but also has a fun plot to it. The book had me laughing from the time I looked at the very first page; to the time I closed the book. The book is written as a diary so the author includes images of some of the worm’s life events. Those images include his first day of school, baby pictures, and his first tunnel. Each page has a date on it and the life even that the worm experienced that day. On March 20th, the worm writes that his mom says there are three things he should always remember. Those things are that, “the earth gives us everything we need, when we dig tunnels, we help take care of the earth and never bother Daddy when he is eating the paper”. The author wrote the story in the first person point of view of the worm so we get to hear about everything the worm experiences in his daily routines. This helps the readers to learn about the life of a worm, but in a more relaxed fashion. It is like getting to know the worm on a more personal level so it makes it more fun and relaxing to learn new facts. I enjoyed the illustrations because some of the images are made to look like photographs and made the story seem more realistic. This fit the mood of the story since it is written as a diary and on a personal level instead of just a informational book that spits facts out at you. The font wasn’t boring, which made you feel like you were really reading someone’s handwriting in his or her diary. The big idea of this book was to learn about the life of a worm, but it also teaches children something bigger than that. This book teaches children that learning can be fun and doesn’t have to be something they dread. They might read this book for pure entertainment and then realize that they just learned all these new facts about worms. ( )
  SaraColvin | Feb 5, 2014 |
Diary of a Worm by Doreen Cronin is the perfect mix of non-fiction and fiction for children ages 4-8. Readers follow worm as he goes to school, eats is homework and attends art class. This hilarious story is well written and is wonderfully illustrated.
As a Teacher-librarian I would recommend this book as a read a loud in libraries and classrooms. The entire series of Diary of a Worm, Diary of Fly and Diary of a Spider by Doreen Cronin can be used to teach curriculum and would be a perfect fit for an animal unit. Topics covered: essential elements to sustain life, life cycle, food source and food chain.
Diary of a Worm has won many awards such as:
School Library Journal Best Book
Parents' Choice Silver Honor ( )
  mmesullivan | Jun 22, 2013 |
Yet another book that my preschool class repeatedly ask for. It is such a silly diary with funny jokes that children and adults will love.
  rebeccabrooke | Jun 9, 2013 |

Doreen Croninprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bliss, HarryIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For “the boys” – Ken, Sean, Ryan, Patrick, and Timothy – D.C. /
For Rozzie and Cheetah – H.B.
March 20 / Mom says there are three things I should always remember: 1. The earth gives us everything we need. 2. When we dig tunnels, we help take care of the earth. 3. Never bother Daddy when he’s eating the newspaper.

This book provides a nice balance with touches of science here and there; the worm protagonist (clearly in elementary school) mentions a couple of times that he and his family enrich the soil with their castings and that the worms and the Earth depend on each other. Funny for younger elementary-age kids, who will appreciate the physical humor and big-sister jokes. Diary format makes this work impractical for a readaloud -- but the scrapbook-photo-style illustrations on the final pages are a very nice touch.

AR 2.8, Pts 0.5

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 006000150X, Hardcover)

Doreen Cronin (Click, Clack Moo: Cows That Type) and cartoonist Harry Bliss (illustrator of A Fine, Fine School) shed a whole new light on a creature that spends most of its time underground: the earthworm. Written in diary form, this truly hilarious picture book tracks the ins and outs of a worm's life from the perspective of the worm family's young son. Take June 15's entry: "My older sister thinks she's so pretty. I told her that no matter how much time she spends looking in the mirror, her face will always look just like her rear end. Spider thought that was really funny. Mom did not." Except for the fact that he can't chew gum or have a dog, the boy likes being a worm. He never has to go to the dentist ("No cavities--no teeth, either"), he never gets in trouble for tracking mud through the house, and he never has to take a bath. As long as he can remember Mom's rule "Never bother Daddy when he's eating the newspaper," all is well. Bliss's endearing cartoonish illustrations of anthropomorphized worms are clever visual punchlines for Cronin's delightfully deadpan humor. For example, "June 5: Today we made macaroni necklaces in art class" sounds normal enough until you see the worms wearing one piece of macaroni around their necks, taking up a good part of each worm's body. Children and adults alike will adore this worm's eye perspective on the world. (Ages 6 and older) --Karin Snelson

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:04:41 -0400)

A young worm discovers, day by day, that there are some very good and some not so good things about being a worm in this great big world.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,355,774 books! | Top bar: Always visible