Diary of a Worm by Doreen Cronin

Diary of a Worm

by Doreen Cronin

Series: Diary of a... (1)

I am reading this to kindergarten and first grade students. we get to discuss diaries and characteristics of things (diaries, worms). We even get the opportunity to discuss composting and habitats. Great book! ( )
  weisser4 | May 3, 2016 |
This book has some real information about worms, as well as some fiction. The content and vocabulary are for higher leveled readers as well as the required background knowledge to understand the concepts being read. ( )
  Erin_Holte | Apr 26, 2016 |
Genre: Contemporary realistic fiction
Media: Paint, oils, ink
Critique: This would be a fun read for first graders and older because the vocabulary and content is for higher level of understanding. The book describes the many traits the worm has and are traits that students can also relate to in school like writing with a pencil. ( )
  Ahusk | Apr 15, 2016 |
Diary of a Worm is a very fun and relatable book. The book is about a young worm who attends school and always has fun interactions with his family. This book is great for young children and hilarious. ( )
  Shelbymdavis | Apr 11, 2016 |
I love the book Diary of a Worm for a few reasons. First, the point of view is essential to understanding this story. It is written from the worm’s first person point of view. For example, “today I tried to teach spider how to dig” was Worm’s March 29th entry to his diary. Another reason I like the story is because the illustrations enhance the story. They are engaging to students, for instance one is a photo of his father and himself while another has his report card taped on. The final reason I loved this story was because of how well developed the Worm character was. He is very believable and funny. An example would be when spider tries teaching worm to climb upside-down and all you see is an illustration of worm being held up by spider’s web. The big message is to cherish your memories by writing them down. ( )
  Rvealey | Apr 10, 2016 |

Doreen Croninprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bliss, HarryIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For “the boys” – Ken, Sean, Ryan, Patrick, and Timothy – D.C. /
For Rozzie and Cheetah – H.B.
March 20 / Mom says there are three things I should always remember: 1. The earth gives us everything we need. 2. When we dig tunnels, we help take care of the earth. 3. Never bother Daddy when he’s eating the newspaper.

This book provides a nice balance with touches of science here and there; the worm protagonist (clearly in elementary school) mentions a couple of times that he and his family enrich the soil with their castings and that the worms and the Earth depend on each other. Funny for younger elementary-age kids, who will appreciate the physical humor and big-sister jokes. Diary format makes this work impractical for a readaloud -- but the scrapbook-photo-style illustrations on the final pages are a very nice touch.

AR 2.8, Pts 0.5

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 006000150X, Hardcover)

Doreen Cronin (Click, Clack Moo: Cows That Type) and cartoonist Harry Bliss (illustrator of A Fine, Fine School) shed a whole new light on a creature that spends most of its time underground: the earthworm. Written in diary form, this truly hilarious picture book tracks the ins and outs of a worm's life from the perspective of the worm family's young son. Take June 15's entry: "My older sister thinks she's so pretty. I told her that no matter how much time she spends looking in the mirror, her face will always look just like her rear end. Spider thought that was really funny. Mom did not." Except for the fact that he can't chew gum or have a dog, the boy likes being a worm. He never has to go to the dentist ("No cavities--no teeth, either"), he never gets in trouble for tracking mud through the house, and he never has to take a bath. As long as he can remember Mom's rule "Never bother Daddy when he's eating the newspaper," all is well. Bliss's endearing cartoonish illustrations of anthropomorphized worms are clever visual punchlines for Cronin's delightfully deadpan humor. For example, "June 5: Today we made macaroni necklaces in art class" sounds normal enough until you see the worms wearing one piece of macaroni around their necks, taking up a good part of each worm's body. Children and adults alike will adore this worm's eye perspective on the world. (Ages 6 and older) --Karin Snelson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:09 -0400)

A young worm discovers, day by day, that there are some very good and some not so good things about being a worm in this great big world.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,601,963 books! | Top bar: Always visible