Diary of a Worm by Doreen Cronin

Diary of a Worm

by Doreen Cronin

Series: Diary of a... (1)

This is a book all about worms and the funny conversations they have with each other. It talks about their life cycle and what they dislike about being worms. It gives a scientific lesson about worms but also has funny dialogue between the worms. This is an example of a modern fantasy book.
  sarahetuemmler | Apr 13, 2015 |
Realistic Fiction: This is a story about the life of an earth worm. It starts with how they help the earth when they dig. Then it goes into talking about how the worm wants to be friends with every animal but some he needs to stay away from because they eat worms. Like the birds.
  Rsantoyo13 | Apr 13, 2015 |
Diary of a Worm is an easy reader but could be used in class throughout middle school. I picked this book because it did not look like your regular picture book. I thought I was going to hate this book but I actually ended up liking it and thinking it was quite funny. The book flows just like an actual diary would. The worm dates his page and then talks about what happened throughout his day. On the front and back of the bookplates illustrations of pictures worm has taken are taped to each side. These pictures also give a diary element to the book. Through this book, worms are humanized and become relatable, they make macaroni necklace in art class, they joke with their sisters and they have to do homework. I would use this book in an environmental education class, it would be fun to read this book and then go look for worms in the dirt.
  jjsewanee | Apr 2, 2015 |
A young worm writes daily entries in his diary detailing his time at school, interactions with his family at home, and his adventures with his friend Spider.
  Emackay24 | Mar 16, 2015 |
Kristy Pratt
Due 2/3/15
Reading Log Opinion Response for Diary of a Worm
By Doreen Cronin

I did not have to decide whether or not I enjoyed the book, Diary of a Worm, since I found myself smiling throughout the entire story. It was not only funny, but organized and cleanly written with detailed illustrations that brought the story and characters to life. The book is written in diary-form, from the first-person point of view of Worm. Through his intermittent diary entries, the reader learns of his family, friends, and the everyday life from a worm’s perspective.
The reader is forced to smile from the very beginning for several reasons. The author opens with Worm’s first diary entry stating, “Mom says there are three things I should always remember: 1.The earth gives us everything we need. 2. When we dig tunnels, we help take care of the earth. 3. Never bother Daddy when he’s eating the newspaper.” Immediatley, the reader is touched by the sentimental idea of the how the earth provides for us and then how a simple worm contributes to the earth’s well-being, and finally, the reader continues to smile with the humorous picture and line about his father eating the newspaper. Although the story is written for an early elementary age group, the theme of “funny, sentimental everyday life” repeated throughout the book, makes it very enjoyable for readers of any age.
In addition to the text written with a humorous and innocent voice, it is cleanly organized. Each page spread is comprised of one dated entry and consists of only a few simple sentences and illustrations. Although the text is simple, between the words and the accompanying pictures, the message is strong. A great example of this is the March 29 entry, where Worm unsuccessfully tries to teach his friend, Spider, how to dig. In the last sentence, Worm states, “Tomorrow he’s going to teach me how to walk upside down.” On the next page spread, March 30, the single entry reads, “Worms cannot walk upside down.” The simple sentence is paired with a beautiful and detailed illustration that fills two pages of Worm, who has fallen from a large tree branch, being suspended in the air by Spider’s web so that he does not fall. Both characters have fearful expressions on their face, letting the reader understand the severity of the situation. In addition, the picture details the farmland below and the hills in the distance all in soft, but powerful shades of color. I found myself studying this page longer than any other in the story.
In conclusion, this book was very enjoyable and although it is not realistic for a worm to write a diary, it gives human characteristics to another living thing and allows the reader to see the world from another perspective. It also allows the reader to relate to the ups and downs of everyday life with family and friends. ( )
  KristyPratt | Feb 9, 2015 |

Doreen Croninprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bliss, HarryIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For “the boys” – Ken, Sean, Ryan, Patrick, and Timothy – D.C. /
For Rozzie and Cheetah – H.B.
March 20 / Mom says there are three things I should always remember: 1. The earth gives us everything we need. 2. When we dig tunnels, we help take care of the earth. 3. Never bother Daddy when he’s eating the newspaper.

This book provides a nice balance with touches of science here and there; the worm protagonist (clearly in elementary school) mentions a couple of times that he and his family enrich the soil with their castings and that the worms and the Earth depend on each other. Funny for younger elementary-age kids, who will appreciate the physical humor and big-sister jokes. Diary format makes this work impractical for a readaloud -- but the scrapbook-photo-style illustrations on the final pages are a very nice touch.

AR 2.8, Pts 0.5

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 006000150X, Hardcover)

Doreen Cronin (Click, Clack Moo: Cows That Type) and cartoonist Harry Bliss (illustrator of A Fine, Fine School) shed a whole new light on a creature that spends most of its time underground: the earthworm. Written in diary form, this truly hilarious picture book tracks the ins and outs of a worm's life from the perspective of the worm family's young son. Take June 15's entry: "My older sister thinks she's so pretty. I told her that no matter how much time she spends looking in the mirror, her face will always look just like her rear end. Spider thought that was really funny. Mom did not." Except for the fact that he can't chew gum or have a dog, the boy likes being a worm. He never has to go to the dentist ("No cavities--no teeth, either"), he never gets in trouble for tracking mud through the house, and he never has to take a bath. As long as he can remember Mom's rule "Never bother Daddy when he's eating the newspaper," all is well. Bliss's endearing cartoonish illustrations of anthropomorphized worms are clever visual punchlines for Cronin's delightfully deadpan humor. For example, "June 5: Today we made macaroni necklaces in art class" sounds normal enough until you see the worms wearing one piece of macaroni around their necks, taking up a good part of each worm's body. Children and adults alike will adore this worm's eye perspective on the world. (Ages 6 and older) --Karin Snelson

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:04:41 -0400)

A young worm discovers, day by day, that there are some very good and some not so good things about being a worm in this great big world.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,557,980 books! | Top bar: Always visible