Diary of a Worm by Doreen Cronin

Diary of a Worm

by Doreen Cronin

Other authors: Harry Bliss (Illustrator)

Series: Diary of a... (1)

This book is about a worm that wrights in his diary about everything that he experiences throughout the days and months. I like this book because it different then most children books. I would use this in my class room because its important to keep the memories that you made in a diary. I would say that this book is good for children that are between the ages of 4-6. ( )
  Cassandra.k | Feb 16, 2017 |
Age appropriateness: Primary, intermediate
Review/Critique: This book is about a worm who slowly discovers the great things in his life about being a worm and the things that he does not like too much about being a worm. He finds them through his relationship with his friend spider and his family, mainly through the experiences which he experiences with all of them.
I think it is a good fantasy book because it animates with human like characteristics and is very relate able to people in how we tend to look at the world.
  jdehowitt15 | Feb 13, 2017 |
Genre: Fantasy
Age: intermediate or primary
Review: A worm keeps a diary of his life and includes why he is important to the earth. This is a fun way to explain the importance of something so little, like worms, and how they work in our world- through the view of a worm.
Comments: You could use this book during science about the environment or worms, It showed how important something as little as a worm is to our world, which is huge! ( )
  mdalbeck15 | Jan 27, 2017 |
Doreen Cronin, creator of such picture-book hits as Click, Clack, Moo and Giggle, Giggle, Quack, turns here to the day-to-day life of a worm, chronicling his many earth-bound adventures in this amusing and educational diary. Opening in March, with the three things that Worm's mother wants him to always remember - that the earth provides everything worms need, that worms care for the earth by digging tunnels, that little worms should never bother Daddy when he's eating the newspaper - the story follows its lumbricine hero through half of the year, concluding in August with a reminder that while people may forget worms, the earth is always aware of them...

By turns humorous and informative, Diary of a Worm offers an entertaining tale of a little earthworm, with plenty of funny details - Worm trying to walk upside down like his friend Spider, Worm eating his homework one day - that contribute to the feeling of fun, as well as an overarching narrative, beginning and ending with the earth, that serves to subtly reinforce the important role of earthworms in the ecology. The artwork by Harry Bliss is colorful and likewise humorous, with plenty of entertaining details - mother worm's note to her son, instructing him to eat all of his trash; Worm's "passing" grade in composting, seen on his report-card on the decorative end-papers - that will have readers/perusers who notice them chuckling. Recommended to anyone looking for children's stories that will amuse and educate the younger picture-book audience. ( )
  AbigailAdams26 | Jan 18, 2017 |
A fun book that goes through the life of a worm. Although the talking worm is rather unrealistic, the happenings in the day and what the worm does is informational.
  LynleyShaw | Dec 9, 2016 |

Doreen Croninprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bliss, HarryIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For “the boys” – Ken, Sean, Ryan, Patrick, and Timothy – D.C. /
For Rozzie and Cheetah – H.B.
March 20 / Mom says there are three things I should always remember: 1. The earth gives us everything we need. 2. When we dig tunnels, we help take care of the earth. 3. Never bother Daddy when he’s eating the newspaper.

This book provides a nice balance with touches of science here and there; the worm protagonist (clearly in elementary school) mentions a couple of times that he and his family enrich the soil with their castings and that the worms and the Earth depend on each other. Funny for younger elementary-age kids, who will appreciate the physical humor and big-sister jokes. Diary format makes this work impractical for a readaloud -- but the scrapbook-photo-style illustrations on the final pages are a very nice touch.

AR 2.8, Pts 0.5

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 006000150X, Hardcover)

Doreen Cronin (Click, Clack Moo: Cows That Type) and cartoonist Harry Bliss (illustrator of A Fine, Fine School) shed a whole new light on a creature that spends most of its time underground: the earthworm. Written in diary form, this truly hilarious picture book tracks the ins and outs of a worm's life from the perspective of the worm family's young son. Take June 15's entry: "My older sister thinks she's so pretty. I told her that no matter how much time she spends looking in the mirror, her face will always look just like her rear end. Spider thought that was really funny. Mom did not." Except for the fact that he can't chew gum or have a dog, the boy likes being a worm. He never has to go to the dentist ("No cavities--no teeth, either"), he never gets in trouble for tracking mud through the house, and he never has to take a bath. As long as he can remember Mom's rule "Never bother Daddy when he's eating the newspaper," all is well. Bliss's endearing cartoonish illustrations of anthropomorphized worms are clever visual punchlines for Cronin's delightfully deadpan humor. For example, "June 5: Today we made macaroni necklaces in art class" sounds normal enough until you see the worms wearing one piece of macaroni around their necks, taking up a good part of each worm's body. Children and adults alike will adore this worm's eye perspective on the world. (Ages 6 and older) --Karin Snelson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:09 -0400)

A young worm discovers, day by day, that there are some very good and some not so good things about being a worm in this great big world.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 112,473,236 books! | Top bar: Always visible