Girl in the Glass (The Healer's Shadow) by…

Girl in the Glass (The Healer's Shadow) (edition 2012)

by Zoe Brooks, John L Wilkinson (Illustrator)

Member:MarniGreatrex
Title:Girl in the Glass (The Healer's Shadow)
Authors:Zoe Brooks
Other authors:John L Wilkinson (Illustrator)
Info:White Fox Books (2012), Edition: 1, Kindle Edition, 215 pages
Rating:***1/2

Girl in the Glass (The Healer's Shadow) by Zoe Brooks

The Girl in the Glass is a sweeping romance of a coming of age story that follows the trials and tribulations of heroine Anya (Judith) as she struggles to overcome great obstacles in a journey that is physical, emotional, and spiritual. Anya is orphaned at a young age—merely eleven and left to live as a servant in her Aunt’s house with her Shadow, Eva. Here, though she does not understand why, she is despised by her aunt whom she desperately wants only to please and from whom she desires the one thing she knows she will never receive – love. Under the tutelage of the taciturn housekeeper Marta, Anya learns to survive the unrelenting punishments that come her way every day for reasons large and small. It is through these very punishments, through her stalwart endurance that Anya first begins to grow. Like a young wild weed that will take nourishment from whence it can, Anya reaches towards anything that will help her grow.
Desperate for kindness, she mistakes lust for love and is eventually banished from her aunt’s home. But even this banishment offers hope, for it is key to her escape from the oppressive household. Led by her shadow, Eva who has been surreptitiously developing a plan, the two young woman escape across the blowing desert sands to the bustling town to the North. They change names, and Anya, now Rosa, finds a brief respite—but more growth through hardship awaits.
Author Zoe Brooks, in an interview that immediately follows the book, explains that she has worked with abused women and her expertise and passion shows in this book as we follow Anya/Rosa/Judith’s journey and triumph. This book is but the first in a trilogy, which I look forward to exploring further.

leighpod | Sep 12, 2015 |
Zo�� Brooks', The Girl in the Glass, is a gripping tale. It begins with Anya and Eva (her Shadow) who are enslaved by the dark power of a deranged aunt. They escape with their lives but eventually fall prey to an evil misogynist. There is a constant battle between the intellect (Eva), and the emotions (Anya). Eva must learn to be more human-like, to allow herself to be touched and to be able to tell lies. Anya, on the other hand, must learn to control her emotions and her sensuality. Rebirth must come through the power of love.
Great story telling!
Reviewed By: Arlena Dean
Rating: 5
Book Blog For: GMTA
Review:

"Girl In the Glass" by Joe Brooks was the first book in the 'Shadows Trilogy.' I found this novel 'Girl in the Glass' heat wrenching, even sad and angry then it has a way through this read to lift your 'spirit and then cheer for all of it in this journey that Anya and Evan went through in a unhappy childhood to now becoming a woman. This author did a wonderful job with her description she used in this good novel. At time you are able to feel the sand and even smell the salty air.

What was "Girl in the Glass" about...

"Anya, orphaned after the death of her father and her healer mother and forced to endure a young life in servitude to her wicked aunt. The huge family home she lives in (in a town on the edge of an impassable desert) is her world and her prison, that is until Anya and her twin/Shadow Eva escape."

the type of life she lived before the escape....

“I will have to say it: 'I am Anya and I am nothing'. I will look down at the floor as I say it, so that I don't see the smile on my aunt's face, so she won't see the defiance in my eyes. She will get her victory. She always wins these battles. I know it, she knows it. But one day, one day she will not.”

Punished for the final time by having to have an arranged marriage to a brutish man, Anya and Eva make their escape and this is where I will say you must pick up this excellent read to see where the author will lead Anya and Eva.

The characters were well developed and likable and some I couldn't identity with them at all but it was a fascinating story none the less. There were some questions left unanswered but I am sure it will be answered in 'Love of Shadow.'

I found this novel a remarkable and captivating story that once you got in it from page one, you will not want to put it down until the end. This was definitely a read of a survival in a world where there will be any odds stacked against them but "who show there is strength in friendship and servitude."

Would I recommend? YES! ( )
  arlenadean | Jun 14, 2013 |
A haunting but captivating story following the struggles of Anya and her shadow as they try to make their way in the world. This is a dark story but very compelling and draws you to continue reading with rich well developed characters, events and settings. I won this as an ebook and was pleasantly surprised. I look forward to reading the next book! ( )
  MarniGreatrex | Nov 5, 2012 |
Girl in the Glass is a story about two girls, Anya and her Shadow Eva. In this world, Shadows are people who aren't human, but look mostly like us. As far as I can interpret, they look human, but give of an air that makes it obvious they aren't. They are a little reminiscent of the demons from Philip Pullman's Northern Lights series. However, not everyone in this world has a Shadow and a lot of prejudice follows them around. The main similarity is that Shadows are like a conscience, always doing the right thing and ever practical, but with no emotions to cloud their judgements. This makes for very interesting reading, watching the differences between how the two girls react and change depending on the situations they're presented. Eva is always steadfast, but Anya (in a very human way) is corrupted and can sometimes even be unlikable and cruel.

Set in the desert town of Darkan, the story starts with a 12 year old Anya and spans a few years. It's broken into three parts and in each one of these the two girls have a new identity. In the first part, Anya is dealing with the deaths of her parents from the plague and now lives with a very abusive family, with her aunt at the head. We follow her through her journey of not only growing up, but also watching her try to find her freedom and happiness.

One of the main praises I have is the writing style, specifically the descriptive writing. The scenes are laid out so well, the imagery is fantastic and the emotions weaved in are amazing. This is one of the few books I have read where I could feel the tension throughout. Whether it be from fear of a person, fear of discovery or even something as simple, but terrifying as poverty. As well as this tension, there is also a constant feel of defiance throughout, against the people who hurt her, against harsh environments and against life itself. The unwillingness to give up or give in that makes Anya such a great character to follow.

Overall, I really enjoyed this read. It is the first in a trilogy and the second (Love of Shadows) came out this month. You can bet I will be following the progress of this series to its conclusion.

Disclaimer: I was sent this book by the author. This is not a sponsored review. All opinions are 100% my own. ( )
  needtoreadgottowatch | Oct 30, 2012 |

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,250,186 books! | Top bar: Always visible