Girl in the Glass (The Healer's Shadow) by…

Girl in the Glass (The Healer's Shadow) (edition 2012)

by Zoe Brooks, John L Wilkinson (Illustrator)

Member:MarniGreatrex
Title:Girl in the Glass (The Healer's Shadow)
Authors:Zoe Brooks
Other authors:John L Wilkinson (Illustrator)
Info:White Fox Books (2012), Edition: 1, Kindle Edition, 215 pages

Reviewed By: Arlena Dean
Rating: 5
Book Blog For: GMTA
Review:

"Girl In the Glass" by Joe Brooks was the first book in the 'Shadows Trilogy.' I found this novel 'Girl in the Glass' heat wrenching, even sad and angry then it has a way through this read to lift your 'spirit and then cheer for all of it in this journey that Anya and Evan went through in a unhappy childhood to now becoming a woman. This author did a wonderful job with her description she used in this good novel. At time you are able to feel the sand and even smell the salty air.

What was "Girl in the Glass" about...

"Anya, orphaned after the death of her father and her healer mother and forced to endure a young life in servitude to her wicked aunt. The huge family home she lives in (in a town on the edge of an impassable desert) is her world and her prison, that is until Anya and her twin/Shadow Eva escape."

the type of life she lived before the escape....

“I will have to say it: 'I am Anya and I am nothing'. I will look down at the floor as I say it, so that I don't see the smile on my aunt's face, so she won't see the defiance in my eyes. She will get her victory. She always wins these battles. I know it, she knows it. But one day, one day she will not.”

Punished for the final time by having to have an arranged marriage to a brutish man, Anya and Eva make their escape and this is where I will say you must pick up this excellent read to see where the author will lead Anya and Eva.

The characters were well developed and likable and some I couldn't identity with them at all but it was a fascinating story none the less. There were some questions left unanswered but I am sure it will be answered in 'Love of Shadow.'

I found this novel a remarkable and captivating story that once you got in it from page one, you will not want to put it down until the end. This was definitely a read of a survival in a world where there will be any odds stacked against them but "who show there is strength in friendship and servitude."

Would I recommend? YES! ( )
  arlenadean | Jun 14, 2013 |
A haunting but captivating story following the struggles of Anya and her shadow as they try to make their way in the world. This is a dark story but very compelling and draws you to continue reading with rich well developed characters, events and settings. I won this as an ebook and was pleasantly surprised. I look forward to reading the next book! ( )
  MarniGreatrex | Nov 5, 2012 |
Girl in the Glass is a story about two girls, Anya and her Shadow Eva. In this world, Shadows are people who aren't human, but look mostly like us. As far as I can interpret, they look human, but give of an air that makes it obvious they aren't. They are a little reminiscent of the demons from Philip Pullman's Northern Lights series. However, not everyone in this world has a Shadow and a lot of prejudice follows them around. The main similarity is that Shadows are like a conscience, always doing the right thing and ever practical, but with no emotions to cloud their judgements. This makes for very interesting reading, watching the differences between how the two girls react and change depending on the situations they're presented. Eva is always steadfast, but Anya (in a very human way) is corrupted and can sometimes even be unlikable and cruel.

Set in the desert town of Darkan, the story starts with a 12 year old Anya and spans a few years. It's broken into three parts and in each one of these the two girls have a new identity. In the first part, Anya is dealing with the deaths of her parents from the plague and now lives with a very abusive family, with her aunt at the head. We follow her through her journey of not only growing up, but also watching her try to find her freedom and happiness.

One of the main praises I have is the writing style, specifically the descriptive writing. The scenes are laid out so well, the imagery is fantastic and the emotions weaved in are amazing. This is one of the few books I have read where I could feel the tension throughout. Whether it be from fear of a person, fear of discovery or even something as simple, but terrifying as poverty. As well as this tension, there is also a constant feel of defiance throughout, against the people who hurt her, against harsh environments and against life itself. The unwillingness to give up or give in that makes Anya such a great character to follow.

Overall, I really enjoyed this read. It is the first in a trilogy and the second (Love of Shadows) came out this month. You can bet I will be following the progress of this series to its conclusion.

Disclaimer: I was sent this book by the author. This is not a sponsored review. All opinions are 100% my own. ( )
  needtoreadgottowatch | Oct 30, 2012 |
I was lucky enough to win a copy of Girl in the Glass in a Librarything Giveaway.

Girl in the Glass is a totally captivating novel; set in a world very different to and yet not unlike our own, the protagonist Anya along with her shadow, Eva, are living a life of servitude at the whim of her evil Aunt Kat after the death of her parents. Together, they escape, and are drawn into a world of danger, intrigue and wonder.

I found it hard to understand and imagine what the protagonist has to endure in the first half of the novel. It is not that it is badly written, it is that the bad is written well and it is hard to get your head around quite how evil some of the characters are portrayed to be. Girl in the Glass is a stunning literary work that clutched at my heartstrings; it combines the vicious with the tender, the joyful with the heartbreaking, despair with hope. It is almost indescribable, and there is no way my review could do it justice.

Zoe Brooks' writing style is absolutely phenomenal; the words flow across the page with an ease and grace that does not come readily to many authors. It was free from the usual spattering of spelling and grammar mistakes that I usually find even in the best of books (and sometimes even in books published by big publishing houses); it is nice to discover that some authors care enough about their work to either proofread it themselves or have someone thorough cast their eye for detail across the page. It really makes a difference to the reader to find a text as beautifully polished as this.

I will most definitely be looking out for more works by this author in the future; I have already purchased the next book in the series when I was only half way through this one! I'm very much looking forward to reading more about these characters and seeing where their journey takes them next, ( )
  Rea_Cat | Oct 28, 2012 |

Zoe Brooks is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,128,066 books! | Top bar: Always visible