Always & Forever by Chantel Rhondeau

Always & Forever

by Chantel Rhondeau

A Hearts On Fire Review

"Always & Forever" seems to promise suspenseful romance between an abused, disabled woman on the run with a criminal past and a disenchanted wealthy widower. The story started with elements of some great romantic suspenseful stories starts with and then...the characters were not as promising as the story progressed.

Then the story became disjointed, the dialogue weird. It's billed as a contemporary but the characters sometimes sounded right off the page of a so-so regency.

But leaving the stilted speak out of the equation, the weak characters were another issue for me.

The heroine has a damaged leg from an earlier attack which the hero was not understanding of. The hero was insecure and selfish, the heroine vapid and TSTL (too stupid to live). Both of them were so weak, the hero always acting like a jerk and the heroine was readily willing to forgive in the name of "love".

Please. *eye roll*

There's an easy guessable plot line involved and I'm going to spoil the ending but potential readers need this warning. Because if I'm rooting for the villain's beating of the heroine, you know there is a problem. But don't worry, while the heroine is being beaten, the hero's crying outside of the locked door - he's worried you see. And you know who saves the heroine?

The heroine.

And you know what's the heroine's first thought after being beaten and defeating the bad guy? She's grateful the hero is alright.

Seriously?

I. Just. Can't.

Maybe there are other readers who can forgive this but I can't. I'm all for equal rights and happy endings but this is disappointing.

There was nothing endearing of either character and both deserved each other. Good riddance." ( )
  SheReadsALot | Jun 20, 2016 |
With compelling characters that are bound to worm their way into your heart, Chantal Rhondeau has created a story that will have you outraged and thrilled, anxious and satisfied, with just enough frustration at the situations to keep you turning pages until the end. With an abused woman who needs to learn to trust, a man who has his own issues to deal with, and a slew of miscommunications and insecurities that alternate between incredibly frustrating and wholly understandable, readers will find the relationship has been detailed with a near-tactile realness.

With a mystery to solve that is full of twists and turns, a heroine that is easy to root for and some incredibly steamy sex scenes, this book provides a good afternoon’s reading and time will just fly by. Aside from some minor pacing irregularities, and a ‘bad guy’ who is more one-dimensional than I prefer, this book begged to have just another page read. Conversations are beautifully detailed; the characters spoke as if overheard, without artifice or embellishment. A few repetitions of key points were a niggling frustration, but since neither character had really ‘dealt’ with the issues of the past and the new problems were triggering old responses, it was both understandable and realistic.

As a first book from this author, it shows great promise and I look forward to more from her.

I received an eBook copy from the author for purpose of honest review as part of my Indie Authors Rock on I am, Indeed. I was not compensated for this review, and all conclusions are my own responsibility.
  IamIndeed | Mar 29, 2013 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,429,040 books! | Top bar: Always visible