Death, Doom, and Detention (Darklight) by…

Death, Doom, and Detention (Darklight)

by Darynda Jones

7810154,388 (4)1

English (9)  Piratical (1)  All (10)
Lorelei King
  jmail | Mar 21, 2016 |
It all started with Death, interfering grandparents and some pissy high school students.
Lorelei has some issues to deal with. She has her grandparents controlling her love life. There is this whole save the world thing to deal with. She has high school drama added to with some new pissy attitudes. The love of her life is the Angel of Death and he's no longer interested. She finds out that there is some weird secret society right under her nose.Then she stumbles upon a new skill in her abilities that takes her deeper into the mysteries.
All that and she's only 16.
I enjoyed this second book in the series more than the first. It was darker, and had more bloodshed for sure, but it also had heartbreak. Sad, sad teenage heartbreak. I loved her new talent. I think it's my favorite new skill of the year so far. Totally awesome ! So the book was very good and stayed in the YA zone. I wish it wasn't I'd love this series with more adult issues. It had a few irksome teenage drama-rama moments that didn't fan out for me but they were important for this to be YA. I love the characters this author writes in any age group.
I am going on to book 3 and I can't wait for it. ( )
  TheYodamom | Jan 29, 2016 |
3 ½ Stars ( )
  BookaholicCat | Mar 4, 2015 |
Contemporary, Paranormal, Young Adult, Romance

Riley’s Switch, New Mexico

Lorelei McAlister’s life changed the day Jared Kovach came to town. The normal life she had didn’t go away quietly it exploded and shattered into a gazillion shards of fleeting light.

No more normal welcome eerie and dark.

Lorelei’s best friend Brooklyn is determined to help Lorelei hone her abilities. Lorelei on the other hand is trying to deal with the fact that Satan’s second-in-command has taken up residence in her body. Having a crush on the Angel of Death on top of that and Lorelei has more than enough to deal with. As if that isn’t enough to handle something sinister has come to town. The only thing it wants is Lorelei’s dying breath preferably while it is strangling her. At least the gang has a supernatural hero on their side. What the gang of misfits didn’t count on is the one being that can save them changing sides midway through the battle. Now the misfits need to find a way to capture one of the most powerful beings ever created. They also have to find a way to bring Jared back to their side before it is too late.

This is proving to be a wonderful trilogy that has more twists and turns so that the reader never knows what will happen next. The characters are fun and engaging and have the story moving at a quick pace and keep it from having any slow spots. It will also have readers wanting the third book to see if things will work out for Lorelei and Jared. This has it all with paranormal and romance and some mystery elements that make for a wonderful plot. This is proving to be a story that will be fun for readers of any age. ( )
  lrhubble | Sep 20, 2014 |
Being sick has its advantages, I get to read more of Darynda Jones.

I really enjoyed seeing the character growth and the complexities of growing up. Lorelei is learning a few things, and she is not liking it all. We see her try and figure out not just how to BE the Prophecy, but how to live it, what it means... memories returning, demons emerging, and where is her backup!?

I look forward to digging into book 3 in the series this evening. ( )
  LRitte | Nov 15, 2013 |

A follow-up to Death and the Girl Next Door finds Lorelei working with best friend Brooklyn to hone her abilities while struggling with the demon that would take over her body and fighting her crush on the Angel of Death.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,939,566 books! | Top bar: Always visible