Going Vintage by Lindsey Leavitt

Going Vintage

by Lindsey Leavitt

I was dying to get my hands on this one. Turned out to be a cute read.

Mallory (the mc) grated my nerves far too many times for me to count but it was refreshing to see she had a good head on her shoulders in the end. I may have wanted a bit more closure but its ok. I can deal.

Now I want to buy a poofy 60's dress. ( )
  lapiccolina | Jun 23, 2017 |
I found this difficult to get into, perhaps because I didn't realise it was a teen book until I started it. It became more engaging as it went on. It's a nice, light read. It's not as profound as it could have been, however. ( )
  AngelaJMaher | May 5, 2017 |
I was initially drawn to this YA book because of its title. Vintage is something I like to shop, buy, and hold on to, so the story's premise intrigued me. Mallory, a junior in high school, swears off all technology and breaks with her over-a-year boyfriend, Jeremy, after discovering (by cyber snooping) that he has an avatar wife in a computer game and that Jeremy's inbox is filled with his cyber wife's messages. The very next day Mallory -- while helping her father pack up Grandma Vivian's house because the widow has recently moved to a retirement community -- finds an old notebook of Grandma Vivian's that contains a five-item to-do list from 1962 when Vivian started her junior year in high school. With # 1 on the list being "Run for pep squad secretary" Mallory's mission of trying to live as if back in the early '60s commences. But Mallory's school has no pep squad and so she must start one. Naturally, this brings on complications.

The story unfolds with such humor early on that I expected it to be all light and breezy about teen angst. I admit to being mistaken in thinking that the book's title and premise would make it just one of those fun and entertaining YA reads. It was so much more. Mallory's sister, Ginnie, her Grandma Vivian, her new friend, Oliver, and Mallory's parents too, are all richly drawn supporting characters. And I have a fondness for a humorous story that has hidden serious layers. Plus, this book so skillfully shows how easy it is to mistake a past era as a simpler time when comparing it with today's technology-driven world. Suffering a broken heart, searching for self-identity, makes GOING VINTAGE, with all its layers, one exceptional read. ( )
  PaperDollLady | Aug 12, 2016 |
Originally posted at www.bookishthingsnadmore.com

Loved this book. It was so cute and fun. It's not really what I was expecting, but I couldn't help by love Mallory. She's been wronged by her boyfriend, and decides the best thing to do is to unplug from modern technology. This is an extremely hard thing to do in the world we live in today with all of the different types of social media. You never really have to have a face to face conversation with anyone.

Going Vintage is very much a "finding yourself" type of book. Mallory's a teenage girl that's been wronged by someone she really trusts. Not only is she going through the turmoil of being cheated on, but her grandmother has moved to a retirement home and is acting different. Her parents also fight non-stop, and her sister thinks they may be on the road to divorce. That's a lot of baggage on a teens plate. Mallory also has a iffy relationship with her mom. She doesn't want her mom mega-involved in her life.

Mallory is using this list to try to simplify her life, but she finds it's pretty difficult when she doesn't know what half of these items are. She's a great character, that goes with the flow. Ginnie, her sister is amazing. She's a couple of years younger than Mallory, but she's an old soul. She can reason things out, and seems to know the logical approach to most situations. I loved her, and think she'd be one awesome little sis.

This is a great beach read I think. It's not too heavy, even with some of the topics it covers. Being inside Mallory's head will have you laughing, crying, and frustrated throughout the book. She makes me remember what those young love days felt like. ( )
  BookishThings | Mar 23, 2016 |
The concept of a teen quitting her cell phone, computer and social networks in the interest of hearkening to a simpler time, is intriguing but most of the book is about the fallout of her breakup with Jeremy. I couldn't get into her middle-class teen angst but this book will appeal to most romance-loving teens. ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
To my little sister, Rachel
Things I say to distract Jeremy so I can take a break from making out:

When sixteen-year-old Mallory learns that her boyfriend, Jeremy, is cheating on her with his cyber "wife," she rebels against technology by following her grandmother's list of goals from 1962, with help from her younger sister, Ginnie.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,104,230 books! | Top bar: Always visible