The Rose Petal Beach by Dorothy Koomson

The Rose Petal Beach

by Dorothy Koomson

The novel opens as Tamia Challey’s husband Scott is arrested. She has no idea that her life is about to change forever, in ways she could not possibly have imagined.

Tami is a likeable and hard-working mother; she narrates most of the story, although it's interspersed with other narrators, and there are many forays into the past. The book is perhaps a tad slow-moving at first, as the background is filled in. It quickly becomes clear that all the narrators are holding back part of the truth, in different ways. There are plot twists and turns which I didn’t expect as well as some which I could see coming.

Koomson tells a powerful story, raising some important issues. This is not light fiction, and it deals with some quite unpleasant topics, although I thought they were handled very well. The final revelations are perhaps a tad abrupt, and I wasn’t entirely sure I believed them; yet the clues are there, right from the start.

It’s a book about women holding things together; it’s about the way we all have both good and bad within us; it’s about knowing when to say ‘no’, and when to lay down boundaries. It’s thought-provoking, and powerful. My only niggle is the amount of bad language used.

Not for those who wants light fiction, or for younger teenagers, as some of the content could be quite disturbing. But for those who like women’s fiction with a harder edge, I would recommend this very highly. ( )
  SueinCyprus | Oct 31, 2016 |
Prica o ljubavi,izdaji,sumnji.Sta je sve spremna jedna zena uraditi za ljubav,ljubav djece, muza i prijateljice.Laka za citanje,drzi paznju,intrigantna. ( )
  ceca78 | Apr 10, 2016 |
I enjoyed this book which turns around the betrayal of trust, deceit and love. I loved the legend about the rose petal beach she inserted in the book too.. and who it's about. The book is a nice mix: it's a romantic story, it has drama, contemplation and a who dunnit theme which keeps you guessing till the end. ( )
  Ingstje | Jan 18, 2016 |
Every love story has a dangerous twist. Tamia Brenett is horrified when her husband, Scott, is accused of something terrible - but when she discovers who his accuser is, everything goes into freefall. Backed into a corner and unsure what to think, Tamia is forced to choose who she instinctively believes. But Tamia's choice has dire consequences for all concerned especially when matters take a tragic turn. Then a stranger arrives in town to sprinkle rose petals in the sea in memory of her lost loved one. This stranger carries with her shocking truths that will change the lives of everyone she meets, and will once again force Tamia to make some devastating choices.

My Thoughts:

I really enjoyed ‘The Ice Cream Girls and The Women He Loved Before’ so it’s no surprise that I was going to enjoy this book too. Unlike DK earlier books these have a darker side to them. My first encounter with this author was many moons ago and for book group we read ‘My Best Friends Girl’ which I have to say I didn’t enjoy at all.

These latest books have taken on a much darker twisted side and lost the sugary feel that were in her earlier books. What I am finding however is dare I say they are becoming predictable. The stories are about the people that we think we know and love and they have a hidden side that some becomes apparent. Along comes a murder thrown in and when the perp is revealed he or she is the last person you would have thought.

However after all that is said and done I did enjoy this book. There was plenty to keep me turning the pages and wanting to pick up the book. I can quite easily get lost for a few hours being engrossed in the story. My only niggle is that maybe the books are becoming very much the same but I will be looking for more new books by this author. ( )
  tina1969 | Jul 21, 2013 |
An excellent, thought-provoking, well crafted read.

Full review to come. ( )
  juniperjungle | Apr 16, 2013 |

Every love story has a dangerous twist. Tamia Challey is horrified when her husband, Scott, is accused of something terrible - but when she discovers who his accuser is, everything goes into freefall. Backed into a corner and unsure what to think, Tamia is forced to choose who she instinctively believes. But this choice has dire consequences for all concerned, especially when matters take a tragic turn. Then a stranger arrives in town to sprinkle rose petals in the sea in memory of her lost loved one. This stranger carries with her shocking truths that will change the lives of everyone she meets, and will once again force Tamia to make some devastating choices...… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,980,832 books! | Top bar: Always visible