Old Blood [novella] by Karina Halle

Kinda slow, but an interesting look into the life of this specter that's been in the books since the beginning. ( )
  GoldenDarter | Sep 15, 2016 |
Great short story! I was completely enthralled and read it in its entirety in one sitting. I was fascinated, horrified, and heartbroken by Pippa's story. I've never been a fan of Perry's mother, and now I'm REALLY not a fan! ( )
  BethanyMoore | May 13, 2016 |
Pippa's story. A sad tale of a hard life filled with poor choices. I found it slow and hard to stay focused on. There were some background detail of Perry and Declan that were slightly revealing but noting shattering. She just didn't hold my interest for what ever reason. ( )
  TheYodamom | Jan 29, 2016 |
First, I want to say how impressed I am with Halle's planning of this series. It appears she had much of the ongoing plot mapped out before even starting the first book, and I can now see that in the minute details and clues that are interwoven throughout each book.

With that said, this novella was a quick and essential read for me to find answers to questions and to gain a better understanding of Perry and Declan's backgrounds and motivations. One of the foremost questions is who exactly is the crazy, creepy clown lady. She consistently appears throughout the series and her cryptic comments make the reader believe that she knows quite a lot about Perry and Dex. Old Blood explains Pippa's relationship to both both characters and, by telling Pippa's story, Halle provides greater clarity about why Perry began to see ghosts as a child. I also have a better understanding of why Dex behaves as he does (...maddeningly frustrating at times to me).

Pippa has her own poignant story of struggling to to find her way in the midst of love and loss. Pippa's character is strong, independent, daring to defy fate for the love of a daughter. The consequences of her decisions have impacted Perry's life in ways I couldn't have imagined until now.

I'm not a fan of novellas and tend to skip over them if possible when reading a series. However, Old Blood provides the transition readers need to move forward with the series. ( )
  Sunmtn | Sep 14, 2014 |
Huh? Yeah! I'm totally listening. So, in 2nd grade, you tripped on a rock, you say? Fascinating...

Man. After so much creepy clown lady creepiness throughout the series, I expected her story to be frikkin awesome. It wasn't. It was boring and long.

The details. The incessant insignificant details! She's so frikkin long-winded and I would have loved to have gotten this story in half the words. It could have been told that way just fine. Even with all those words, I felt zero connection to this character. Such a letdown after such a buildup. I get her role and the story itself isn't bad. It's just the telling of it. So tedious.

Additionally, some of her scenarios/circumstances were too contrived for me. Whatever. Moving on to the next book.

For more of my reviews, visit my blog:

JennyJen | Aug 14, 2014 |

A haunting story from the Experiment in Terror Series...it is not a stand-alone novella and it is recommended you read books #1-5 before embarking on this tale. From her harrowing introduction in Darkhouse, the spectre known as "Creepy Clown Lady" has been a constant fixture in Perry Palomino's life. But beyond the horrid makeup and piercing stare lies Pippa, a woman just like everyone else. Well, not quite. When Perry discovered Pippa's message to her and Dex on the EVP recordings, she thought she heard the last of the old woman's message. She was wrong. In the novella Old Blood, Pippa relays the tale of her troubled and tortured past, revealing how an aspiring actress and loving mother fell into madness and how an unfathomable betrayal led to her untimely death. For Perry, the repercussions of her message are life-shattering. Old Blood is #5.5 in the series and occurs between books #5 On Demon Wings and #6 Into the Hollow.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,745,996 books! | Top bar: Always visible