Up Above and Down Below by Paloma Valdivia

Up Above and Down Below (edition 2012)

by Paloma Valdivia

195537,190 (3.5)None
Member:MzzColby
Title:Up Above and Down Below
Authors:Paloma Valdivia
Info:Owlkids Books (2012), Hardcover, 32 pages
Collections:Book Reviews
Rating:**
Tags:children's, picture book, acceptance, equator, northern hemisphere, southern hemisphere, humor

Up Above and Down Below by Paloma Valdivia

I thought this was going to stay abstract ("On top, they think he ones on the bottom are different,") but then it does sweep into the real world ("When spring makes its entrance in one place, fall pushes its way into the other"), plus I should have noted the matching North-side-up and South-side-up map-of-the-world endpapers. If I don't think too hard about trying to figure out the ending (are they really visiting each other? Or just imagining it?) I do much better. Wish I were fluent in Spanish & could read this in the original to see if I like it better that way! ( )
  MelissaZD | Dec 31, 2013 |
  MelissaZD | Dec 31, 2013 |
This wonderful story discusses the differences and similarities amongst people challenging us to embrace what makes us and others unique! ( )
  Cfmichel | Apr 5, 2013 |
A whimsical story celebrating the differences and similarities among people. ( )
  Sullywriter | Apr 3, 2013 |
Translated from the original Spanish text, this quirky picture book compares and contrasts the lives of the people “up above” living in the northern hemisphere and the people “down below” living in the southern hemisphere. A bright palette of jewel tones color surreal right-side-up and upside-down images subdivided by a red line representing the equator. Unfortunately the quirky printed images complicate the issue and do nothing to clarify the text. The reader might still be thinking, “Huh? I don’t get it” by the time the account is done. World maps are presented in the end papers of the book, but a quick explanation of the Earth as a globe will help readers from Kindergarten through third grade “look at the world the other way around”. This story is more fun than educational; don’t expect the tale to underscore a lesson on geography with any clarity. ( )
  MzzColby | Nov 13, 2012 |

Paloma Valdiviaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ouriou, SusanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

"Are there different kinds of people in the world? If you live up above, you might think the people down below are different. If you live down below, you might think the people up above are different. But what if you turn yourself upside down?"--Dust jacket.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,694,607 books! | Top bar: Always visible