Seeds of War (Volume 2) by Rachel E Fisher

Seeds of War (Volume 2) (edition 2012)

by Rachel E Fisher

741,138,814 (3.8)None
Member:Krista23
Title:Seeds of War (Volume 2)
Authors:Rachel E Fisher
Info:CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (2012), Paperback, 262 pages

Seeds of War (Volume 2) by Rachele Fisher

No tags.

It has been several years since the world has been devastated by the great famine. Fi, Asher, Sean and the family have made it to Eden and have found their place there, all making tremendous contributions to the Eden community and what it stands for, each finding themselves in integral roles not only in Eden, but in the future of the planet. Now the time has come for the second phase of Eden's purpose, which is to reconnect the people living topside that have survived. The great famine occurred as a result of the genetic modifications of plants and foods by man, which resulted in "sick food." They discovered that the genetically modified foods were the primary cause of "the sickness," which took the lives of so many. The sickness is a general term used for different types of illnesses such as cancer, diabetes, and many many others that were a direct result tainted food. Now as Seeders, they begin the reconnection process by distributing heirloom seeds and teaching others how to plant and grow the "true food," and connect them through radio technology not only to Eden, but to each other. This is very important, and very dangerous. Not only do they have to get people to trust them, they have to deal with the Lobos, which is a term they use for the people that want to raid, kill, and destroy. The world has become a very dangerous place, which is nothing new to Fi, Asher, and Sean, but they soon find out that they have an even more threatening group than the Lobos who want to stop them at any cost.

I thoroughly enjoyed getting to know Fi, Asher, Sean and the others in Eden's Root, and was excited to see where Rachel Fisher took the story next. I absolutely love Fi. She is quite the heroine. She was only 14 when all of this started, became and a strong, loyal, fierce, yet loving leader. In Eden, she is considered somewhat of a celebrity, even though she can't stand to be the center of attention. Now at 17, she finds herself as leader once again as her group embarks on their mission to reconnect the people. Asher, and I love Asher, is Fi's fiance, he's a fierce warrior, and the one who is responsible for training the fighters. He's also really hot. Sean is Fi's best friend and he and his family have been with her since the beginning. He is the technological whiz and the brains behind the bunch, but he is also a warrior himself. We also see Sara, Fi's best friend and Sean's girlfriend in a much bigger role in this book, and are introduced to quite a few new characters as well.

I loved the story and was sucked in from the start, my attention captured from beginning till end. The story itself is very creative and realistic, which is kind of scary, because I can really imagine something like this happening. I loved where Fisher took the romance in this book, especially between Fi and Asher. There are some really beautiful moments, which add so much to the book. In addition to the romance, there is also plenty of action, danger, intense fighting scenes, and drama, with just enough humor mixed in. I also really liked the ending of the book. It ends in an intense moment with a bit of cliffhanger, yet is excellently done, leaving you satisfied, while at the same time excited for the next installment. I would highly recommend Seeds of War to anyone who loves dystopia, romance, science fiction, and adventure. Seeds of War is a well written and entertaining novel that leaves you turning the pages for more. ( )
  alwaysyaatheart | Jan 28, 2013 |
BookNook — Young Adult book reviews

Seeds of War is a tricky book to review. While I was still very interested in the overall idea, I felt like this book suffered from second-book-in-a-series syndrome. It was missing a strong, central, overarching conflict. It had a lot of mini conflicts, and a few half developed overall conflicts, but nothing was really strong and central. I think that made the book lose focus a bit.

Before I dive further into that, I'll talk about some of the things I liked. I really enjoyed learning more information about the famine and the government's involvement. Eden starts communicate with Diaspora II, and at one point they finally start asking some tough questions, like What the heck happened and how did the famine begin? In the first book I really starved for those little details, and in Seeds of War, we finally get some bits of information.

There were also some really sweet romance moments, but there are good things and bad things about the romance itself. At about the halfway mark, I was suddenly hit with a really sweet romance between Fi and Asher. The problem was that it practically didn't exist at all before this point, and then it really dwindled down after this point. I know that Fi and Asher were already dating when the book started, but I feel like their romance never really came into play in the first half of the book. They were just.. together. There was no sweetness, no fluff love stuff. Then it suddenly came at us full force for like ten pages, and I really enjoyed it. I just wish that could have been more integrated throughout the entire book. As a romance junkie, I think that would have made me like the book more overall.

Side note: there was a moment with unprotected sex that made me roll my eyes. Sometimes I just can't believe teenagers are that stupid. I know some of them are, but it just aggravates me.

The pacing at the beginning of the book was... really weird. Fi & Co. had to go on this huge six month long mission. They made a big deal out of it, and there was this whole sad moment about Fi having to leave her sister behind and say goodbye to her, and them all going on about how it'll be sooo dangerous. But those six months passed by in like 10-20 pages. I just felt like there was a huge build up, and I thought it was going to be a really central part of the book, and then it was just over in a quick breeze. I honestly think that entire part could have been cut from the book and just summarized as something that already happened between books one and two.

Seeds of War also had some religious points in it that I wasn't crazy about. I'm not a religious person and I don't love reading about it. The religion didn't dominate the book, but for a while I thought it was going to. It's connected to the "growing and unknown force" that's referenced to in the blurb, which is introduced as a group of religious extremists called the Truthers. Once we got passed the religious stuff, there was a cool new development involving the Truthers and my interest was really piqued, but then nothing really happened and I felt like the ball was dropped a little. There was no clear purpose to connect the characters to the Truthers, so for the most part I just saw them as existing independently of each other, with a few references here and there.

I was just never really sure where the book was headed. Fi & Co.'s mission was to start reconnecting the world by supplying settlers with radios and heirloom seeds, but there was no conflict there, and the lack of conflict kind of made me lose interest. The Truthers were causing trouble, but it was never enough trouble to make them truly intertwined with the plot.

I'm still pretty fascinated by the whole story and famine part of Seeds of War, but ultimately this book did feel like a bridge between the first book and the third book, where there will probably be some sort of showdown. The title of the book—Seeds of War—implies war, but we never actually see a war in this book. It is hinted that it will exist in the third book, but it makes me question why this book isn't called Reconnection instead, and the third book could be called Seeds of War. So for me, this book wasn't quite as good as Eden's Root, but I'm thinking the third book will probably be an improvement. ( )
  tripsis | Jan 17, 2013 |
In a world of apocalyptic ends. The people of Eden rely highly on the ability to connect with other groups for survival. Although they could probably sustain themselves with trips to the outside and growing their own food. It's something that is not beneficial at this time. They must have contact with the outside world to know what is happening and continue their efforts to help society get back to a normal as fast as possible.

The Seeders are responsible for making these trips. To get supplies, talk with other groups and find out the state of the outside world to help keep their own citizens safe. But it's a dangerous world out there, and each trip can have devastating results. With groups of what could be considered savages out to murder and steal amongst other things above it's dangerous for anybody.

In the first book we followed Fi and her family to find Eden. A place where there was safe food and a hidden location. But now is the time to survive and help rebuild, it's dangerous and they don't know who they can trust.

The devotion to each other and will to live is the driving force of this story. There was not as much down time as there was in the first book which involved a lot of traveling. There are still several characters that build the story, but the focus here is the group of Seeders and the reader will come to care about them and really fight for their purpose.

With the deeper development of the characters and the hard work of rebuilding and surviving in this world. I enjoyed reading this book more than the first in the series which contained a lot of walking, dialogue and info dumps to create the world. But now, here in the continuation the reader can dive right in!
Great continuation to the story, both entertaining and heart breaking. ( )
  Krista23 | Nov 2, 2012 |
Not bad for the second installment. Not bad at ALL. With new plot twists and adventure around every corner, I devoured this book.

In this book, I fell for the plot. It always kept me on my toes and really excited. Usually, the sequels in trilogies I find lacking but this time around I found this book more exciting then the first! In this plot, the group has survived. With one step at a time, they have become seeders. Replanting original seeds to fruits and veggies, trying their best to restore natural earth food. All the while there is an uprising of radical religious groups bringing down the efforts. Enough to even kill them for replanting. Like, I said exciting. The plot carried loads of action as well as LOVE!

The love interest flourished just the way I wanted it. Even with some unexpected surprises! I'm so excited and happy at the same time! AHHHHHHH! I especially loved this part because Fi and her love are starting fresh. They deserve a new beginning and if it means this, then YAY! I loved watching their love grow so strong! This couple truly rocks with all that they have been through.

There are some new character developments that I enjoyed as well. Some secrets are exposed bringing to light the effects of the events that happen. I like that these characters help other characters developed. It's like a rock sharping a knife. Very good.

Seeds Of War is an awesome sequel. A very lawless society full of people trying to help, to people destroying whats left, it really makes you think. The originality of the story brings happiness to my heart. Seeds Of War is impressive! ( )
  Bookswithbite | Aug 23, 2012 |

Rachele Fisher is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,246,087 books! | Top bar: Always visible