Confessions of a Teenage Hermaphrodite by…

Confessions of a Teenage Hermaphrodite (edition 2012)

by Lianne Simon, Amy B. Wisniewski Ph D. (Foreword)

Member:erleen
Title:Confessions of a Teenage Hermaphrodite
Authors:Lianne Simon
Other authors:Amy B. Wisniewski Ph D. (Foreword)
Info:Faie Miss (2012), Paperback, 244 pages
Collections:Read
Tags:Young Adult Contemporary

Confessions of a Teenage Hermaphrodite by Lianne Simon

This novel attempts to explain some background for blood splatter interpretations and the majority of the text is made up by anecdotes. There is also some very interesting background information about the author's youth, and his career progression.

This book is not in my usual genre, my partner recieved it as a Christmas gift at a family Boxing Day party, and I snaffled it ot read so I wouldn't have to do any awkward conversation. I was pleasantly surprised and found myself not wanting to put it down - I finished it in a day.

For me, each of the human interest stories which were logically set out were great. It's like crime short stories for me - yay, no waiting to find out who did it! I'm not patient enough to read a real 'crime' novel.

I didn't really appreciate the images of blood splatter that my partner will probably find the most interesting pages out of the whole book. The case studies were way more interesting - I guess it just reflects that I'm more of a fiction reader than a non-fiction one.

I did have one squeamish moment, but funnily enough it wasn't about the blood, it was a mention of someone's toenails being ripped off. Ouch! I feel kinda squeamish right now just thinking about it.

The author of this memoir is passionate about his topic and it shows throughout the text. His cowriter/editor combination pulls things into fascinating detail, and makes the whole lot work. I only wish that I can find something that I am so passionate about when it's time for me to enter the workforce proper.

I'm totally going to give this book 4 stars. I probably won't reread it, but I did find myself enjoying a genre that I don't usually read, and that makes a huge difference. Maybe there is hope for crime after all! ( )
  Rosemarie.Herbert | Feb 26, 2013 |
I got this book from the author in exchange for a review on the book.

First of I have to say I was so excited to get a copy of this book and the author has been wonderful!

This book was about a child named Jameson or Jamie who was born a hermaphrodite. A conditon where he was born with one testis and one ovary. Her parents forced her to be become a boy and act like a boy when she really was a girl and felt like a girl..

This book deals with the struggle of identity for Jamie and for the acceptance of her parents. Out in public Jamie would become "Jameson" but at home and around her cousin she could truely by Jamie.

It is a very sad book to read about the struggle and the fight she went through with her classmates, her family, and having to pick happiness for herslef or aceptance with her family.

I loved every minute of this book and was not a disappointment at all.
flag ( )
  sareiner | Feb 12, 2013 |
When Lianne Simon asked me to review her book, Confessions of a Teenage Hermaphrodite, I was having second thoughts about accepting it. I mean, the book was intriguing but I was unsure if I can handle its story. Luckily, my curious side won and I'm glad I accepted this book.

Jamie was almost like every other teenager, the only difference is that she was born between the sexes and in her case, she has a testis and an ovary. She was supposed to be raised a female, but due to her father's insistence, she was living her life as a boy.

I can't help but feel sorry for Jamie because all her life she's pretending to be someone she's not. She lives in so much confusion that she doesn't know who she really is and what she's meant to be. She's pretending not because she wanted to, it's because she needed to, so that she won't disappoint her father. The expectations from her parents really weigh her down.

I feel really frustrated at how the society treated her. The discrimination and misjudgment of other people towards her gender issues results in her inferiority. And you know what I realized about this? People with this kind of condition is not different from us. Yes, they may have gender issues and physical abnormalities, but what they are experiencing is just the same as ours.

We sometimes pretend to be someone were not, just so other people could accept us. We, also, encounter discrimination and misjudgment at some point in our lives. We, also, experienced pressure from our parents and friends. We all experienced the happiness of loving and the pain of losing someone. We all laugh and we all cried. And this book showed that we may be different physically but we are all equal in God's eyes.

Everyone can relate to this story, whether they're straight or gay or born between sexes. A really enjoyable read. ( )
  erleen | Nov 10, 2012 |

Lianne Simonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wisniewski, Amy B.Forewordsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

From the heart of an intersex teen, one who must ultimately choose male or female--family or true love--comes the story of a deeply emotional and perilous journey home. This is a young adult novel unlike any other--an authentic portrayal of the issues faced by a child growing up with a sexually ambiguous body.

Jameson can be like other boys after minor surgery and a few years on testosterone Well, at least that's what his parents always say. But Jamie sees an elfin princess in the mirror, and male hormones would only ruin her pretty face. For him to become the man his parents expect, Jameson must leave behind the hopes and dreams of a little girl. But what is so wrong with Jamie's dreams that they can't be her life?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:05:49 -0400)

Faie Miss Press

An edition of this book was published by Faie Miss Press.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,327,679 books! | Top bar: Always visible