The Neighbors by Ania Ahlborn

The Neighbors

by Ania Ahlborn

I’m genuinely confused. I read Seed a couple of years ago (or whenever it came out) and I remember that I enjoyed it. I even gave it 4 stars (it was probably more of a 3 or 3.5, I was more generous then). I didn’t think it was amazing or go-down-in-history literature, but original and well written (I thought).

Enter “The Neighbors”. A few days ago I came across her other books and they all had pretty high reviews. So I deliberated on which one to read first and chose this. And now, confusion. It isn’t that the writing isn’t very good (though it really isn’t) and it isn’t that the plot is weak (though it is), in fact, it really just isn’t anything.

I stuck it out because it’s short and I kept hoping to get to the good part but it turned out there just wasn’t one. Nothing really happened in this book. In fact, more happened in the history of the characters, sprinkled here and there, than during the actual (book) present. I really just don’t understand how the author went from a pretty good, decently written, enjoyable and original book to this poorly written, absolutely boring and completely unoriginal one.

Now I’ve been known to binge-read true haunting books, which we all know are silly, unoriginal, poorly written, and potentially boring. So I do have a tolerance and even a soft spot for this, especially in the “horror” genre (which really this book can’t qualify for on the grounds of nothing happening!)

So my solution to this quandary? I’m going to give it one more go. Last chance, Ania! I’m going to read The Bird Eater, also highly rated. As to this book, I cannot recommend it, because it’s just a nothing read. As to the author? I’ll reserve judgment momentarily.
  DianaFord | Jan 5, 2016 |
Didn't really pick up until the last 1/4 of the book for me, that was the only part that really held my attention. I didn't not like the book, but I won't read it again (i do have another book by Ania Ahlborn that is on my "to-read" in the near future list). The cover & description had originally got me interested in the book, but that's pretty much where my interested ended. I did however like Harlow's character. She couldn't have easily been way over done, but she was just crazy enough! ( )
  TheKnittedSheep | Jun 6, 2014 |
I must say that I choose this book by its cover: a teapot with blood...charming.
I don't even know what to say about it. Did I like it? Yes. Will I read it again? No. Was I captivated by it? Yes, in a very macabre and disgusting way. Was I impress? No, not really.
The plot was a good one even if not original and it's good enough to keep us reading just to know what will happen next. Sometimes it was a little boring, with all the house description and the mixing of past/present, but in the end, it was necessary for us to understand the why.
I like it even though I was a little disgusted by it, but I guess that was the point of the story.
It doesn't give you chills, but will keep you thinking about it. ( )
1 vote Lost_Lenore | Jan 23, 2014 |
More like 3.5 stars. This was a twisted page turner that kept me so riveted I read it in a day (so totally points for that). I literally had to know what was going on with Harlow & what would happen to Drew. I have mixed feelings though. While I couldn't stop reading, after it was over I felt it was a bit flat. The buildup to unmasking Harlow was my favorite part & I thought very well done & deeply disturbing. I never felt sorry for her even when the terrible things she endured earlier in her life are revealed. She was an excellent predator & manipulator & that made her fascinating to watch as the story unfolded. Red was a bit more of a mystery but his complicity was disturbing all on its own. Mickey was necessary, of course & his final part to play in the story was worthy.

Drew was, more than any other the character I'm most undecided about. I felt sorry for him but after a while I was as repulsed by him as I was Harlow. I had to keep reminding myself that given his experience with his family & mother in particular, he could be absolved of having any sort of sense. He repeatedly shrugged off his internal alarm that something was terribly amiss & was so very easily led by Harlow, that it strained believability. His cloying Mommy nurturing thing twisted with the sexual attraction couldn't be broken through until basically he's at the precipice about to be thrown off it to his death & then it dawns on him that he's maybe in over his head. He still doesn't have a clue as to how bad the situation is though & that really was something that bothered me, in the end. It finishes up tied in a nice bow with the carnage far off & echoes of "There's no place like home".

I pre-ordered this when I came upon the summary & I'm glad that I've read it. The author can tell a riveting story. I'd read her again but I wouldn't re-read this book. Great for a weekend or rainy afternoon (that's what prompted me to choose to read it). ( )
  anissaannalise | Jan 1, 2014 |

Andrew Morrison sacrificed everything--his childhood, his education, and the girl of his dreams--to look after his alcoholic mother. But enough is enough, and now he's determined to get out and live his life. That means trading the home he grew up in for a rented room in the house of an old childhood friend--both of which are in sorry shape. The only thing worse than Drew's squalid new digs and sullen new roommate is the envy he feels for the house next door: a picture-perfect suburban domicile straight out of Norman Rockwell, with a couple of happy householders to match. But the better acquainted he gets with his new neighbors--especially the sweet and sexy Harlow Ward--the more he suspects unspeakable darkness beyond the white picket fence.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,293,412 books! | Top bar: Always visible