The Bloodletter's Daughter by Linda Lafferty

The Bloodletter's Daughter (2012)

by Linda Lafferty

2801940,328 (3.41)8

Prague 1606: Bath girl and Bloodletter’s Daughter Marketa is accidentally drawn into the madness of Don Julius, the Emperor’s mad bastard son.

Don Julius is banished to a remote corner of Bohemia to be ‘cured’—will it work? Upon seeing the Bloodletters Daughter, he is certain she has stepped from the pages of the Coded Book of Wonders, a priceless manuscript which he believes is the key to his sanity. Marketa is drawn in and hopes to be the one to heal the bastard prince but has she bitten off more than she can chew? Is he the ticket to a better life in Prague.

I was immediately drawn in to the story and turned the page wondering what would happen. It was well researched but about 2/3 of the way through the story began to drag a bit but I kept with it. The side story of Matthias was a bit distracting, it seemed as if it was plopped in the middle of the story in order to support a not yet written sequel. I kept waiting for a big reveal on the Coded Book which never came; the ending was a bit of a letdown. At close to 500 pages, it just ended up being too long and drawn out… ( )
  Shuffy2 | Jun 14, 2017 |
Great book

I enjoyed this book very much and would definitely recommend it to anyone. I was half expecting it to be a little dry considering all the historical references but was pleasantly surprised that this wasn't the case at all. I was also very interested to find out it was loosely based on actual events and real people who existed back in the 1600's. I'm curious to know if this author has any other books and if so I will want to give them a try. I'd never heard of her before but this book was a great first impression of her work.
  JordanAshleyPerkins | Jan 26, 2017 |
I downloaded this book from Amazon over a year ago, and thought it was time to give it a read. I liked the premise from the summary, but when I was reading it something just seemed off and kind of bugged me. I couldn't quite place what annoyed me, but I forged through to 25% of the book, but it finally got to the point where I thought my time would be better spent reading something else. Hopefully, I can give this book another try and maybe be more successful. There are times that certain books, just don't appeal to me as they might at another.

The story of the illegitimate son of Holy Roman Emperor Rudolf II and the murder of a Bohemian bath maid. I guess what bugs me is that this is historical fiction, but it doesn't really feel like it. The story just frustrated me and I only got to about 25% because I was always on that edge of should I continue or should I stop? I finally got to the point I just wanted to read something different. ( )
  princess_mischa | Dec 4, 2016 |
A gripping tale! I couldn't put it down! ( )
  jkrnomad | Jul 1, 2016 |
Fascinating historical fiction based on the true story of illegitimate Hapsburg heir Don Julius and how he murdered a girl from Český Krumlov, a small village where he had been banished as punishment for his erratic and violent behavior (his father, Holy Roman Emperor Rudolf II, seemed to be in denial about Don Julius' mental illness). Great historical detail of the Hapsburg dynasty as well as an insightful look at life in Eastern Europe in the early 1600s. Vivid characters and a well-written story that captures the issues of the times (religious, political, gender). ( )
  PaulaKrapf | Aug 2, 2014 |

In 1606, the city of Prague shines as a golden mecca of art and culture carefully cultivated by Emperor Rudolf II. But the emperor hides an ugly secret: His bastard son, Don Julius, is afflicted with a madness that pushes the young prince to unspeakable depravity. Desperate to stem his son's growing number of scandals, the emperor exiles Don Julius to a remote corner of Bohemia, where the young man is placed in the care of a bloodletter named Pichler. The bloodletter's task: cure Don Julius of his madness by purging the vicious humors coursing through his veins. When Pichler brings his daughter Marketa to assist him, she becomes the object of Don Julius's frenzied - and dangerous - obsession. To him, she embodies the women pictured in the Coded Book of Wonder, a priceless manuscript from the imperial library that was his only link to sanity. As the prince descends further into the darkness of his mind, his acts become ever more desperate, as Marketa, both frightened and fascinated, can't stay away. Inspired by a real - life murder that threatened to topple the powerful Hapsburg dynasty, The Bloodletter's Daughter is a dark and richly detailed saga of passion and revenge.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,104,223 books! | Top bar: Always visible