The Bloodletter's Daughter (A Novel of Old…

The Bloodletter's Daughter (A Novel of Old Bohemia) (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Linda Lafferty

Member:jewelryladypam
Title:The Bloodletter's Daughter (A Novel of Old Bohemia)
Authors:Linda Lafferty
Info:Amazon Publishing (2012), Paperback, 512 pages
Rating:*****

The Bloodletter's Daughter by Linda Lafferty (2012)

I downloaded this book from Amazon over a year ago, and thought it was time to give it a read. I liked the premise from the summary, but when I was reading it something just seemed off and kind of bugged me. I couldn't quite place what annoyed me, but I forged through to 25% of the book, but it finally got to the point where I thought my time would be better spent reading something else. Hopefully, I can give this book another try and maybe be more successful. There are times that certain books, just don't appeal to me as they might at another.

The story of the illegitimate son of Holy Roman Emperor Rudolf II and the murder of a Bohemian bath maid. I guess what bugs me is that this is historical fiction, but it doesn't really feel like it. The story just frustrated me and I only got to about 25% because I was always on that edge of should I continue or should I stop? I finally got to the point I just wanted to read something different. ( )
  princess_mischa | Dec 4, 2016 |
A gripping tale! I couldn't put it down! ( )
  jkrnomad | Jul 1, 2016 |
Fascinating historical fiction based on the true story of illegitimate Hapsburg heir Don Julius and how he murdered a girl from Český Krumlov, a small village where he had been banished as punishment for his erratic and violent behavior (his father, Holy Roman Emperor Rudolf II, seemed to be in denial about Don Julius' mental illness). Great historical detail of the Hapsburg dynasty as well as an insightful look at life in Eastern Europe in the early 1600s. Vivid characters and a well-written story that captures the issues of the times (religious, political, gender). ( )
  PaulaKrapf | Aug 2, 2014 |
I LOVED this book. The fact that it is historical fiction and makes me want to go look up more history on the time is telling regarding how good it is. It is well written and the audio book was well read. I became very involved as I was reading. I love some characters, wanted to slap others, and hated a few. Any book that gets you emotionally involved is a good book. I highly recommend reading this book! ( )
  morandia | Aug 1, 2014 |
I stopped at page 170 because I simply couldn't read anymore of this book. At first glance, it was interesting, even captivating, so I kept reading. It was too salacious for my tastes, but that isn't why I gave it one star and stopped reading. The characters were caricatures or stereotypes; the writing was rife with cliche'; the dialogue was stilted, and the descriptions unimaginative. If the author did thorough research of the time period (early 17th century), it didn't show. She didn't tell me anything I hadn't already learned in school. Granted, I didn't get past 170 pages, so I can't say unequivocally that the book doesn't go into more depth. But at a whopping 514 pages, it required a time commitment that I stopped being willing to make. A book that long better be a quality book because it is asking a lot from the reader. I'm afraid that this book didn't even come close to being worth it. ( )
1 vote TheLoopyLibrarian | Jul 26, 2014 |

In 1606, the city of Prague shines as a golden mecca of art and culture carefully cultivated by Emperor Rudolf II. But the emperor hides an ugly secret: His bastard son, Don Julius, is afflicted with a madness that pushes the young prince to unspeakable depravity. Desperate to stem his son's growing number of scandals, the emperor exiles Don Julius to a remote corner of Bohemia, where the young man is placed in the care of a bloodletter named Pichler. The bloodletter's task: cure Don Julius of his madness by purging the vicious humors coursing through his veins. When Pichler brings his daughter Marketa to assist him, she becomes the object of Don Julius's frenzied - and dangerous - obsession. To him, she embodies the women pictured in the Coded Book of Wonder, a priceless manuscript from the imperial library that was his only link to sanity. As the prince descends further into the darkness of his mind, his acts become ever more desperate, as Marketa, both frightened and fascinated, can't stay away. Inspired by a real - life murder that threatened to topple the powerful Hapsburg dynasty, The Bloodletter's Daughter is a dark and richly detailed saga of passion and revenge.… (more)

57 wanted1 pay10 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,733,366 books! | Top bar: Always visible