Missing by Drake Braxton

Missing

by Drake Braxton

177587,099 (4)1

Blain’s husband, Manny, is missing, just like that: they went to Blain’s high school reunion in Alabama, and Manny disappeared from the party and was nowhere to be found. Being this a mystery, you would think the story was to understand what happened to him, but actually it’s more Blain’s rediscovery of himself and of his relationship with Manny. In the aftermath of that night, Blain and Manny appear to be a perfect couple, but days pass and the cracks in the relationships become more visible. What I appreciated of this story is that the author doesn’t try to make Blain’s pain less hurting for the fact he had trouble with Manny: Blain and Manny were in love, and they were trying to make their relationship work. Actually, considering it was Blain’s infidelity that causes some of those cracks, there is also his feeling of being in part responsible for Manny’s fate.

I cannot say much without ruining the story, but this one surprised me cause it soon was apparent that more than a mystery, this was an involving contemporary romance, about a man who is not perfect, a recovering alcoholic, someone who is able to betray the man he loves for the cute face of one of his students. I liked the author wasn’t condescending with his character, and on the contrary, he was willing to present him in all his facets, some positive and many negative. The victory of the man over the basic instincts will be even more rewarding in this way.

elisa.rolle | Feb 12, 2014 |
3.75 stars. Very intersting tale. Not your typical m/m romance. Odd tale of man in distress about husband death and how he deals with it. ( )
  Penny01 | Feb 1, 2014 |
~~~

When you physically experience an apocalyptic, mind-tilt from reading a book -- that's EXCEPTIONAL!

This book is:

A Love Story
An Introspective
and
A Privlege to Read

I am completely drained and completely fulfilled.

I am drained and exhausted, but in the kind of way that makes you know the effort was very worthy.

THE CHARACTERS

Professor Blain Harrington - I miss my husband. But I also miss myself.

Manny - Manny was my family and he was missing.

The extended characters create the vivid fabric that more than supports this story. Strong friends, terrible bigots and sexy yet flawed lovers are just a few of the well developed personae completing this experience.

THE STORY

Here's where this review will be lacking, but not because the story lacks for anything. Instead, I just can't tell you what the story is about without saying too much. I will say that this is a full, rich journey with a realistic ending.

The author could have easily veered off into personal postulation. At times my mind was screaming to be shown the answers, asking to be driven through the "no man's land" safely. Like a good storyteller though, Drake Braxton let me find my way. I hesitate to use the word enlightened, but there is certainly a sense of that at the end, adding an additional element of merit to this read.

THE WRITING

The genius of the writing is even more obvious as I look back at the beginning of the book to write this review. It's a "chicken or the egg" scenario. Which came first Mr. Braxton? The beginning couldn't possibly have been crafted before the ending was formed, could it?

A complicated, complex and involved journey that is a must read. It's just an incredible accomplishment and a privilege to read.

RECOMMENDATION: Exceptional

~~~

Take a look at my Male/Male Romance Book Blog:

http://www.attentionisarbitrary.blogspot.com ( )
  LisaT131 | Sep 21, 2013 |
I have no idea how to label this book. All I know is that it was brilliant. Harsh, gritty, loving, sexy, confusing, amazing, upsetting, hopeful, crushing, scary, and, finally, absolutely delightful.

Personal growth, awareness and delirious action.

For a debut novel, this is amazing. Actually, it would be amazing for any author and at any stage of his or her writing career; it has a unique voice and a feeling of honesty is seeping through with every page you turn.

Nothing I've even known is for sure anymore. Absolutely riveting. Not even ONE chapter went the way I thought it would. Not even ONE turn of events took off in a direction I was expecting.

And on top of all that? Even the cover is stunning, and to the point.

No excerpts from this one. Just go read it. The storytelling is like a ride on the Blue Tornado in Gardaland.
I'm still clutching my belly, wondering where my shoes are, and if my hat can be seen anywhere, or perhaps it's lost forever.

Up is down, and I have NO idea where down is.

Well done. Well done, Mr Braxton.

***
I was NOT asked to read this book by anyone, I paid for it with my own money, as I do for all the books I read, all the music I listen to and the movies I watch. ( )
  AnnaLund2011 | Sep 20, 2013 |
Author Drake Braxton uses first person narrative to tell of the struggle that Blain endures in life. This is a story of relationships and love.

Too many dashes throughout the novel. ( )
  bemislibrary | May 26, 2013 |

2012 New England Book Festival - Winner Gay Fiction
2012 Rainbow Award Winner - 2nd place in Gay Mystery/Thriller

While attending a 20th high school reunion in Alabama, Blain Harrington loses the love of his life in the blink of an eye. He soon realizes that everything is not always as it seems as he sets out on a journey for answers. What do you do when the world you thought you knew crumbles around you? How do you piece it back together?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:02 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,564,817 books! | Top bar: Always visible