Degrees of Wrong by Anna Scarlett

Degrees of Wrong

by Anna Scarlett

I love this book SO hard. So much that I will be buying a finished copy when it comes out, even though I have the .pdf file forever and ever. this one NEEDS to be on my shelf. Also, it NEEDS to have a picture of Nicoli on the cover. Just sayin.

Full review to come.

ETA:

*Many thanks to Anna Scarlett & Epic Lynn Marie for allowing me to be part of the blog tour for Degrees of Wrong and for providing me with a review copy!*

Book Synopsis:

"This time, the straight-and-narrow path could be the road to ruin.

Dr. Elyse Morgan’s mission: find the cure to the HTN4 virus. The compensation, courtesy of the United Nations: a lab stocked with hi-tech goodies, limitless resources and enough chocolate to make her rear look like a cellulite farm. Bonus: she gets to live.

Rescued (kidnapped) and secreted (imprisoned) on an undersea warship, Elyse adjusts to her assumed identity as a cadet with the finesse of a toeless ballerina. Her sulfuric temper and blatant insubordination capture the unwanted attention of the ship’s captain, the gorgeous, infuriating, engaged Nicoli Marek.

Elyse would rather perform her own autopsy than become the other woman, but Nicoli—who’s as full of himself as he is of secrets—regards his impending marriage as a mere political transaction. And Elyse as fair game.

As Elyse’s suspicions about the UN’s true agenda mount along with her attraction to the relentless, chronically shirtless captain, she must choose between the murky path to everything she’s ever wanted, or the squeaky-clean path of self-sacrifice—which could mean taking the secrets of the virus with her to the grave.

Warning: Features a strong, chocolate-loving heroine who takes no prisoners on the way to saving the world from an epidemic and winning a captain’s heart." (Source: GOODREADS)

You should know right off the bat that I LOVED this book. It's easily one of my favorite reads of the entire year and I absolutely will be buying my own copy. I will read it again and again for sure!

It had all the elements that I love in a book: romance (though not insta-love), intrigue (plenty of it), a saucy heroine (I want to be BFFs!), and a super-hot hero (I just want him, period). I might end up gushing a little bit, so bear with me. I just loved the book that much. Besides, blog tours are SUPPOSED to be gushy. Right? RIGHT?!

Let's start off by talking about the story. It was completely full of action and kept me riveted from the very beginning. In a word, it was awesome. I love a lot of action in a book. Mortal peril? Bring it on (as long as it's not REAL mortal peril, of course). I loved that things kept moving and didn't stall. I was never bored for a second. When I finished, I wanted to start over again.

Anna's writing is incredible. You may or may not know this, but she's also the force behind Of Poseidon under the name Anna Banks. If you've read that, you've had a taste of how awesome she is and how her writing flows. Degrees of Wrong is EVEN BETTER, if that's possible.

Let's move on to the characters, because you all know that I'm almost completely character driven.

Elyse:
The story starts off in the middle of an attack, so we get to see Elyse the doctor in action. Her first interaction with absolute Super Hottie is hilarious. I think she'd much rather stick him full of needles than go anywhere with him. I loved her reaction. Sure, she notes that he's hot, but she gets on with her life and doesn't bother with the swoonage. I'm not sure I'd keep my head, so props to her.

Then we move on to the ship and she's taken out of her element. It shows too, because she's totally Miss Awkward of America. Because that's TOTALLY how I respond to new situations, I was like, 'Hey, BFFs now!'

She's a very strong heroine and someone that is easy to understand and relate to. I feel like I know exactly what motivates her. Not because she's transparent and fluffy, but because she's so real.

Nicoli:
And then we move on to Nicoli. Holy. HOTNESS. Batman. Seriously, you think the guys in YA are hot these days? Read Degrees of Wrong and then you'll know just how hot things can get. And I don't mean that in a sexytimes kind of hot either. (Actually, and to be completely honest, I found myself wishing that there were MORE sexytimes) He was the kind of guy you can count on to watch your back and then be all saucy about it. He'd do anything for you and do it with a completely maddening smirk on his face that you'd totally want to smack off and then kiss afterwards. Yes, dear readers, I am officially and madly in love with Nicoli Marek. Alas that he is not a living man! Ah well, fictional characters don't disappoint...

Actually, I'm going to leave it there. There's not a whole lot more that I can say, because clearly, this is a favorite book. I leave it to you to choose to get a copy (which you totally should because it's awesome!) and enjoy it for yourself. Actually, the more demand we have for titles like this, the more likely it is that the publisher will release it in paper form. Right now, it's e-book only (sob!), but I'd love to have it out in hardback. Or paperback. Or a ream of paper. I just want it on my shelves! The links under the picture will take you to places for purchase.

This is absolutely a 5 Eiffel Tower book!
  emmyson | Oct 9, 2013 |
Does anyone remember SeaQuest? - Well, that book felt like SeaQuest to me. It wasn't what I had expected at first but it became much for fun!

Elyse is such a refreshing and strong female charakter. She is a hell of a force, but still a human being that can fall in love. In fact, I identified a lot with her, maybe that is why I like her so much. It is hilarious how she fights with Nicoli Marek, that handsome but engaged Captain who is determined to win her affection anyway. And he does, but Elyse is not a second-woman-type and she would not give in her emotions under such circumstances. Her ways of denial and his ways of convincing … I couldn't help myself but laugh the whole time.
While the story moves on you also learn much about Nicolis reasons to give a damn about his engagement and his secret bonds and forgiving him his relentless efforts to gain Elyse seem not so immoral anymore. But there is a long way to go and they both have to make a decision in the end.

Everything is surrounded by that underwater theme which I enjoyed a lot. As said above, SeaQuest feeling! Elyses search fot the anti-virus gets subsided by the romance, but I can overlook that easily.
If there are people out there who like a hilarious romance with some sci-fi elements you have to read that book. I heartily recommend to do so! ( )
  SamJehanzeb | Aug 9, 2013 |
Background: Dr. Elyse Morgan is kidnapped, sort of, and forced to finish finding the cure for the new Black Death. While working she is designated to an underwater ship owned by the government. While aboard she meeting Captain Marek, who is...well...engaged but determined to gain Elyse's affection.

Review: Wow not what I expected-- what I thought would happen, I would be upset because an engaged man was being creepy and trying to sleep with another women, and maybe even a little weirded out if there were sex scenes... happily surprised by this whole story.

Elyse is hilarious and her whit and aggressiveness kept me reading. Marek's attempts toward her really bothered me at first for the above reason but later you learn a lot about him and the situation changes greatly and you learn to swoon over him. Happy to say that there were not sexy scenes looming over the pages...even though they may have been fun. This was a great example of a romance, fantasy, as well as a mystery. I never knew where it was going to go and I was pleasantly surprised. Degrees of Wrong surpassed all of my expectations. I would say this is more of an adult read however the sarcasm and cleverness of the characters would really make in enjoyable to a wide audience, older YA's as well as adults.

Ebook provided by the author in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  sszkutak | Aug 23, 2012 |

Dr. Elyse Morgan's mission: find the cure to the HTN4 virus. The compensation, courtesy of the United Nations: a lab stocked with hi-tech goodies, limitless resources and enough chocolate to make her rear look like a cellulite farm. Bonus: she gets to live. Rescued (kidnapped) and secreted (imprisoned) on an undersea warship, Elyse adjusts to her assumed identity as a cadet with the finesse of a toeless ballerina. Her sulfuric temper and blatant insubordination capture the unwanted attention of the ship's captain, the gorgeous, infuriating, engaged Nicoli Marek. Elyse would rather perform her own autopsy than become the other woman, but Nicoli--who's as full of himself as he is of secrets--regards his impending marriage as a mere political transaction. And Elyse as fair game. As Elyse's suspicions about the UN's true agenda mount along with her attraction to the relentless, chronically shirtless captain, she must choose between the murky path to everything she's ever wanted, or the squeaky-clean path of self-sacrifice--which could mean taking the secrets of the virus with her to the grave.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,993,791 books! | Top bar: Always visible