Merminia by Emm Cole

Merminia

by Emm Cole

143683,257 (4)None

There is something about the word underneath the waves that is so alluring to me. The salt water, the sand, the beauty of a world so deep that those of us with legs rarely get to experience it. This book had all of that and so much more.

Merminia is the story of Selinne, a Merminian mermaid who is the sister of her tribe's leader. Their tribe is at odds with another, the Litiants, a rather bloodthirsty tribe on a quest for an object long lost to the undersea kingdoms. Selinne finds herself in the middle of it, caught between two tribes and two loves.

The mythology of this undersea world is creative and inventive. The differing tribes of mermaids have not only differing ideologies and traditions, but they are physically very different. Some of the mermaids are portrayed in a more whimsical way (like Disney's version of The Little Mermaid), others like the merpeople in Harry Potter, and others that are the warriors of the ocean.

Selinne is headstrong and powerful in her own right, but there are moments of "mermaidy" behavior (picking up a shiny piece of jewelry after a battle) that make her a more traditional mermaid. Gabriel is a warrior, a member of the enemy Litiant tribe who walks into Selinne's life at the worst possible moment and turns it on edge. He is a bit cagey and conflicted and often a complete contraditction, which gives him a lot of depth as a character. Aramis is a fellow Merminian and Selinne's other potential love interest. I am thoroughly on Team Aramis, although the triangle makes Selinne's story. He is completely devoted to Selinne, but he is not the self-pitying, stalking, or mopey kind of guy. He is there for her no matter what and in any capacity he can be I love him!

Things to love...

--The alternating 3rd person POVs. I like being able to get in the heads of different key characters.
--The world and the mythology.

My Recommendation: I loved the blend of new and traditional mythology to create an entirely new world! A great read! ( )
  Kiki870 | Sep 24, 2014 |
Interesting take on mermaids. Most books have mermaids as a totally perfect kingdom, where everyone lives in harmony, and the only problems arise when they interact with humans. The Litiant empire reminds me of the Roman Empire. I thought it left itself open for a sequel, which there was. At first, I got lost in the characters, but I eventually got into it. All in all, a good book.

This review (and rating) also appear on Amazon.com. I received a free copy from the author in exchange for a review. ( )
  jmcgarry2011 | May 9, 2014 |
Merminia, by Emm Cole is definitely a treasure, a very unique one at that!!
I can honestly say I have never read a book about mermaids before, and I never even have seen a mermaid fantasy, suspense, romance novel before. Of course, both of our daughters loved the Disney mermaid, but that was for little girls;)
This book will actually grab your attention from the first page, and will keep your attention well until the end!
Emm Cole really has a tasteful, fresh, creative style that is written so well, you will see each character in front of you, each segment of the story played out right before your eyes, and the images are not easily forgotten.
Each character is very descriptively detailed, and all pretty easy to like, and maybe even adore! They all fit together nicely, Selinne, being the main character. A confident, maybe a little stubborn, and has lots of determination, this mermaid is actually the type of main character females of all ages admire. Gabriel, is a warrior, who Selinne, (and the reader), will end up falling head over heels in love with, (or head over fins;)
Mermaids and Mermen, have the same types of issues, dilemmas, struggles, drama and feelings as humans do. Parts of the storyline, the characters personalities, and the atmosphere are created in such a way that we can relate. And at the same time, this alluring tale will provide a place for you to escape the real world, for just a while, until the end.
I would hope there is a 2nd volume on the way very soon. I would definitely be interested in reading it! I think this is an excellent series that will prove to stand the test of time and will capture the hearts of many, many fans. Young adult, fantasy, suspense, fairy tale fans. Even drama, romance, and adventure fans will find that this is well worth your time! ( )
  busymommylist | Sep 15, 2012 |

Emm Cole is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,416,502 books! | Top bar: Always visible