Macabre Tales by Tony Thorne MBE

Macabre Tales

by Tony Thorne MBE

222,551,640 (5)None
Recently added byjblazarte, tonythornembe

Having read Tony Thorne’s other book, ‘Robots Included’, I approached ‘Macabre Tales’ with a certain expectation—and I’m glad to report I have not been disappointed. ‘Macabre Tales’ is an incredibly entertaining collection of speculative fiction—Tony has that uncanny knack for fully fleshing out what starts as a seemingly innocuous “what if”, bringing it to an arresting conclusion.

Tony Thorne’s approach in crafting a story reminds me of Ray Bradbury—you know, the way Ray used to look around the room to find his next story. Tony has that same literary power—he could turn an ordinary object or subject into an exceptionally imaginative story that will at turns leave you sitting on the edge of your seat, chuckling with humor, or simply muttering in amazement at how a tale reaches its conclusion.

The most chilling thing about these 18 stories is the fact that the setting in each one feels so close to home—no matter how outlandish the plot may seem to take, each of these stories leave you that certain sense that it could happen—it might actually happen when you least expect it. Among my favorites, for example, is the story, “Dead Ringer”, mainly because something like it actually happened to one of my friends. Tony also extrapolates current technologies into an unthinkable scenario: in “Nanophytes” paints a highly plausible of scenario of what is currently a marvel of medical technology suddenly becoming our worst nightmare.

Overall, these eighteen stories are a joy to read—every single one of these is a gem in its own right. Get a copy of ‘Macabre Tales’ today—also makes an awesome gift to any fan of the genre. Five solid stars for this one. ( )
  jblazarte | Apr 12, 2014 |
Macabre Tales is a collection of short stories that will amuse and entertain you to no end. These are stories that I would be comfortable sharing with family and friends. Each story is moderately short, so if you don't have a lot of time for reading, this would be a great choice. I found myself on the edge of my seat during one story, then smiling and chortling during the next. This collection is very imaginative, original, and unique. If you want a unique entertaining experience, I highly suggest you put this collection of short stories on your list.
Posted by , Rebecca Minto, USA ( )
  tonythornembe | Aug 24, 2012 |

Tony Thorne is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,535,203 books! | Top bar: Always visible