Snow by P. D. Eastman

Snow is an amazing beginner book. The first snow is always the most beautiful day because of the blankets and blankets of untouched snow. On this day, two siblings or friends are able to enjoy the first snow. A day filled with lots of snow, laughter and many fun activities. The illustrations are picture perfect because it able the capture how snow looks and the many activities going on. The colors are simple, but eye catching too because of how the Illuster was able to draw and sketch out the characters. I really love the text used in this book because it was so easy to read. Teachers should definitely share this book with their students. It can be used in the classroom by letting the students self-read. Since, it is such an easy book many young students are able to read this book to themselves. I really like how this book was so cute and readable for young readers. Many young readers will be able to read this on their own and will proud about it. ( )
  s.vang | Sep 24, 2015 |
One of my favorite read alouds. ( )
  madamepince | Jan 10, 2015 |
I always like to read this book in the winter because it reminds me of how I felt during winter as a child when it snowed. I used to read this book when it snowed, and as a result have a sort of sentimental attachment to it. This was my designated “snow day book.” The thing I like best about this book is that it is simplistic, but still tells a good story. I think this is a perfect recipe for children’s books. Another thing I like about this book is that the illustrations look like they were colored in by a child. They have bold black lines with primary colors in the middle, occasionally spilling out. This, coupled with the simplistic text, really gives the feel that it is written by a child, which is especially interesting because the narrator of the book is a child. It is written as if the child went out and played in the snow, and then came back inside and wrote this book about his adventures. The main idea of this book is that no matter how old you are, there is still something purely magical about playing in the snow. ( )
  lmcswe1 | Dec 1, 2014 |
Simply written so it is good for a range of ages, for parents to read to their children, and also new readers who are sounding out words and beginning to read on their own. This is one of my favorite P.D Eastman books because it is about a subject that all kids love, we all love snow days and being able to play outside in it. I also love the illustrations because they aren't over done, they are quite simple but beautiful at the same time. There isn't much range of colors used, but it is enough to make the picture pop but not overtake the story being told.
  jzerba | Mar 17, 2013 |
Summary: An older "I can read it all by myself beginner book" all about snow. The book covers all the different activities you could do in the snow and why the children in the book like snow. It has simple words that rhyme through out so that it catches the attention of little ones and yet is easy for the beginner reader to read.

Personal Reaction: I have had this book since I was a little kid. I am not sure how I came to own it but it was published in 1962. I can't remember if I liked the book as a child but I think I must have because I remember the words well and I smile when I think about the book. I still enjoy it now as a adult and I have read it to both my girls over the years. I like the colors used in the illustrations and the rhyming of the words.

Classroom Extension Ideas: The kids could write short stories, or if to young, draw pictures, of their favorite season and what activities they like to do during that season.

We could learn about snow and how it is "made", which could lead to other weather related lessons as well. ( )
  MistyRobinson | Oct 3, 2012 |

P. D. Eastmanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
McKié, RoyIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed

Illus. in color. "Joyful verse relates the many ways to enjoy snow. First graders will love it."--Chicago Tribune.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:43 -0400)

Two children enjoy sledding, skiing, making tracks, building a snowman, and other activities in the snow.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,881,625 books! | Top bar: Always visible