Ten Little Ladybugs by Melanie Gerth

Ten Little Ladybugs (2000)

by Melanie Gerth

My girls liked this book more than I expected. It's actually very simple. Each page has ladybugs, and one by one they leave, so subsequent pages have fewer and fewer ladybugs, until one remains. Fortunately, a breeze comes along and blows the lonely one home, where all the other ladybugs are waiting. (Funny story, when we first read this, I thought the ladybugs were eaten, because they always meet another animal and then disappear. Turns out, the other animals are all just waiting at the end, too. They must be friends.) The winning feature are the ladybugs, which are small plastic figurines glued to the page that the young audience can touch. Each page has enough holes to accommodate the number of ladybugs required for that page, so as the ladybugs disappear, less and less holes are present. A clever construction that really works for my girls. As for the text, the story is told in rhyming phrases, with one catch - the rhyming word, which is always a number, is told on the following page. The verbal clue combines with the counting down to help children figure out the correct number. Therefore, in addition to the fun my kids have with grabbing the ladybugs and watching them disappear, they also like the counting element, because they love numbers right now. With all of these features, this book is a definite winner from our children's books collection. ( )
1 vote nmhale | Jan 23, 2013 |
Summary- The book was about counting ladybugs, starting with ten ladybugs and as you turned each page it would take away one ladybug. The words were at the bottom of the page with bold print easy to read.
Personal reaction- I enjoyed reading this colorful book. I will be buying this book to read to my grandson who is a year old right now. I think because of the bright colors and shapes, all young children would love this book.
Extension I- Have each child get out ten pencils or crayons. Have the whole class count out loud to ten. Then as a class take one away and then see how many they have.
Extension II- Take ten jellybeans for each child. Count out loud to ten then take one away by eating one then count till their all gone.
  sandysuson | Sep 10, 2012 |
Summary:

Ten little ladybugs sit on a vine,one by one they dissapear, where did they go? Page by page, the ladybugs go away! The ladybugs are visited by varios insects, reptiles, animals and mother nature (wind), which finally blows the last ladybug home, at which time all the little ladybugs are together again.

Personal Summary:

Ten Little Ladybugs, by Melanie Gerth is one of my favorite picture books, I have read this book to all three of my sons as they grew. This particular book has many features that make it a prize in any book collection for young children ranging in age from 3 to 5. The author uses lots of color and incorporates, so to speak, a counting game into this book. This book is very educational, and an excellent book for young readers to begin with. The bold text helps with the reading and easier pronunciation of the book. I really enjoy this book as do my sons.

Classroom Extension:

1. In the classroom , I would use this book to demonstrate the basics and principles of subtraction. This book could also be turned around from back to front showing addition principles to get the laddybugs back to the vine where they started .

2. Ten Little Ladybugs could be used as a tool to teach children to identify colors as well as insects.

3. Another beneficial aspect about this book would be, the bold print would help children with visual disabilities to see and make pronunciation of text some what easier.
  tonyalwickware | Sep 7, 2012 |
An adorable counting book with a fun, non-cliched rhyme about ladybugs. Little readers will love the large ladybugs that burst out of every page as the rhyme counts down. The beautiful illustrations of animals and nature are also a plus. This is one of my two year old son's favorite books. ( )
  DayehSensei | Jul 20, 2011 |
A fun book about bugs that teaches the math concepts of counting, identifying numerals, and subtraction. It also uses rhyming words and offers the students the opportunity to experience tactile stimulation. ( )
  Elizabeth1977 | Jul 17, 2011 |
TEN little ladybugs sitting on a vine, along came a butterfly-- then there were...

A counting book featurings ten little ladybugs until all the ladybugs arrive home!

Young ones will love learning to count backwards as they watch ten touchable ladybugs disappear one by one.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,771,036 books! | Top bar: Always visible