Visual explanations : images and quantities,…

Visual explanations : images and quantities, evidence and narrative (edition 1997)

by Edward R. Tufte

Display of information for paper and computer screens; principles of information design, design of presentations. Depicting evidence relevant to cause and effect, decision making. Scientific visualization.
Member:bren
Title:Visual explanations : images and quantities, evidence and narrative
Authors:Edward R. Tufte
Info:Cheshire, Conn.: Graphics Press, c1997.
Tags:data, reporting, writing, business

Visual Explanations: Images and Quantities, Evidence and Narrative by Edward R. Tufte

Recently added bygkearney, omargosh, private library, Dectris, AMTuring, jmondy89, ohnokuo, BenKrywosz
Legacy LibrariesEdward Tufte, Tim Spalding
    Visual and Statistical Thinking: Displays of Evidence for Decision Making by Edward R. Tufte (cfranco)
    cfranco: The booklet "Visual and Statistical Thinking : Displays of Evidence for Making Decisions" is a reproduction of the chapter 2 of the book "Visual Explanations: Images and Quantities, Evidence and Narrative". Therefore, there is no need to read both of them, read only the "Visual Explanations" book.… (more)

English (14)  Danish (1)  All languages (15)
I got a lot less out of this than I did from The Visual Display of Quantitative Information, which is to say still a fair amount. I thought it was an enjoyable read nonetheless and certainly worth spending a few evenings on. The main thrust of the book seemed to be that it's important to show the reader information in a way that maximally enhances their understanding. Beyond that there's a list of examples of what to do and not do, and I'll remember those down the line when I'm looking at or making pictures. ( )
  haagen_daz | Jun 6, 2019 |
156 p.
  BmoreMetroCouncil | Feb 9, 2017 |
An eye-opening read. As a linguistic who deals with databases, this book dramatically improved my writing and design of graphics for publication. ( )
  KirkLowery | Mar 4, 2014 |
In "Visual Explanations," Tufte walks us through various case studies of visual explanations (charts, graphs, graphics, diagrams and maps). Some of the case studies are about great works, while others are about epic failures. By grouping these examples into themes, Tufte himself explains his principles for analzying and design visual explanations.

Using a series of vivid examples from both history and modern day sources, Tufte brings life to what otherwise sounds like a dry subject. He also writes with discipline, always careful to supplement his theories with examples. Lastly, the hardcover itself is solidly designed; the interplay between the figures and the text is pleasant and easy to read. ( )
  jasonli | Dec 9, 2013 |
Wow, is this an excellent book. It helped my presentation of data skills, and beefed up the Power Point approach as well. I abhor presentations, as the facts are what I am after. The ability to marry up prose with data and present, this is an important skill for all today. The nicest surprise was the ability to understand how to maximize color in a presentation of information. ( )
1 vote shdawson | Nov 19, 2012 |
Categories such as time, space, cause, and number represent the most general relations which exist between things; surpassing all our other ideas in extension, they dominate all the details of our intellectual life. If humankind did not agree upon these essential ideas at every moment, if they did not have the same conception of time, space, cause, and number, all contact between their minds would be impossible - Emile Durkheim, Les formes elementaires de la vie religieuse (Paris 1912), pp. 22-23
For my teachers, for many years Virginia James Tufte, Raymond E. Wolfinger, Lincoln Moses, Richard A. Brody, Paul Ekman, Robert A. Dahl, Stanley Kelley Jr. John W. Tukey, Frederick Mosteller, Robert K. Merton, Cuthbert Daniel, Howard I. Gralla, Inge Druckrey, Tom Prichard
Our thinking is filled with assessments of quantity, an approximate or exact sense of number, amount, size, scale.
In the study of perception, just noticeable differences measure the very limits of human abilities to detect the faintest of differences between, say two adjacent colors almost exactly alike in a continuous spectrum of 100,000 colors. Ad Reinhardt’s paintings rely on these vaporous distinctions, with some gradations revealing themselves only after many minutes of focused viewing. This is fine for art but not for data. Rather than operating at such an exquisite threshold of perceptual acuity, data displays must be clear, assured, reliable, sturdy. In designing information, then, the idea is to us just notable differences, visual elements that make a clear difference by no more – contrasts that are definite, effective, and minimal.

Edward R. Tufte is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,803,430 books! | Top bar: Always visible