Worms Eat My Garbage by Mary Appelhof

Worms Eat My Garbage (1982)

by Mary Appelhof

359430,295 (4)10

I liked this book it was a simple guide to keeping worms that gave very easy to follow practical guides. I really liked that the author knew people would have different goals for their worm bins and created several different plans that accommodated those different goals ( )
  leabharlainne | Apr 2, 2012 |
Great explanation of how to vermicompost! I use a ready-made worm bin kit, which makes things somewhat easier than building one from scratch. It's very cool!
  mochap | Apr 19, 2009 |
For anyone interested in urban homesteading, gardening, recycling, composting, or just making your garbage smell less, this is the perfect book for you. Appelhof introduces vermicomposting (worm composting) in a clear, easy-to-understand manner, without over simplifiying. There are many options and techniques for this wonderful process, and she gives you all the options. The writing is well-organizes, entertaining, and spare. I used the book to refine my own worm composter and have seen improvments in my bin. Highly recommended! ( )
  hjjugovic | Mar 1, 2009 |
Not any more. We gave away the worm bin. It drew flies and was smelly. We are recycling a better way now.
  Hoagy27 | Dec 10, 2006 |
Foreword

Worms eat my garbage. They've been eating it for the past twenty-five years.
Chapter 1: What Should I Call It?
Some people use the term "home vermicomposting system" because it sounds more sophisticated than "worm bin." They are right on both counts; it is sophisticated, and it is a system.

The definitive guide to vermicomposting-a process using redworms to recycle food waste into nutrient-rich food for plants. Newly revised and updated, this 162 page manual provides complete illustrated instructions on setting up and maintaining small-scale worm composting systems. Topics include different bins, what kind of worms to use, sex life of a worm, preparing worm beddings, how to meet the needs of the worms, what kinds of foods to feed the worms, harvesting worms, and making potting soil from the vermicompost produced. A 63 page bibliography, 24 annotated references, a glossary,and comprehensive index make this a valuabe reference book as well as a practical manual.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:23:29 -0400)

Provides complete illustrated instructions on setting up and maintaining small-scale worm composting systems. Topics include: bin types, worm species, reproduction, care and feeding of worms, harvesting, and how to make the finished product of potting soil.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,958,510 books! | Top bar: Always visible