Sunny Side Up by BJ Appelgren

Sunny Side Up (edition 2012)

by BJ Appelgren

20None511,232 (3.71)1 / 1
Member:RJ_KING
Title:Sunny Side Up
Authors:BJ Appelgren
Info:Zillah (2012), Edition: First, Paperback, 280 pages
Rating:*****

Sunny Side Up by BJ Appelgren

I just couldn't make myself finish this one. I think it was mainly the writing style that turned me off, but the disjointed feeling of the actual story put me off also.
  OracleOfCrows | Sep 21, 2013 |
There were many times in the Scherborne experience where I didn’t react to Mr. B.’s comments, Themes, or quotes. More often, I found myself reacting positively to B.J.’s responses to his thinking on a subject. Was this because I misunderstood Mr. Bennett’s message? Was this because B.J. better understood his message or was this because she presented an entirely different perspective? Neither person was right nor wrong. Both just responded from a different place of understanding and experience.

The following terms were used to define the process of evolvement.
Exoteric is the natural state before any process is applied
Mesoteric is the period of transformation
Esoteric is the time of realization

The author explains, “Mr. B. asks us at different times to imagine what could be accomplished if people did not have the need for personal recognition or the need to indulge in discouragement. What if we would act just because we know a certain action is the right thing to do? The quality of our lives depends on our struggle with ourselves.” (p. 134)
How true that ego is the cause for many self-created problems.
  MaryAnn12 | Apr 4, 2013 |
I was happy to give this book a try, but I found that it was not well written in the sense that it lacked style, form, prose. I couldn't get into it either, extremely slow moving. I can relate to spiritual transformation, however it was difficult to decipher her transformation vs. feeling or opinion. This is something that had me thinking about a massacre towards the end, yet it never happened just like the storyline itself never got off the ground! ( )
  fashionablyloud1 | Mar 4, 2013 |
I just couldn't get into this book. I didn't like the writing style and when words break across lines, it drives me nuts. Others may enjoy this book and find it helpful in regard to their own transformation, but I just didn't like it. ( )
  eheinlen | Feb 25, 2013 |
Sunny Side Up by BJ Appelgren.

I was not around during the period of time that the author was writing about, otherwise I might have understood some of the esoteric concepts that were studied at the Sherborne school. I just kept asking myself, "who has this much time on their hands to be doing this?" There were many details about the author's day to day life at the Sherborne school - she obviously kept a detailed journal! The memoire was thought provoking, entertaining and well-written and I believed I learned a little bit on a topic that I knew nothing about before reading. ( )
  janejetson223 | Feb 21, 2013 |

BJ Appelgren is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,410,572 books! | Top bar: Always visible