Trouble in Texas (Deep in the Heart of…

Trouble in Texas (Deep in the Heart of Texas) (edition 2012)

by Katie Lane

Member:BookWormRflects
Title:Trouble in Texas (Deep in the Heart of Texas)
Authors:Katie Lane
Info:Forever (2012), Mass Market Paperback, 352 pages
Rating:*****

Trouble in Texas (Deep in the Heart of Texas) by Katie Lane

Fun and fluffy...and now I have a bit of a hankering to become a Madam. ( )
  A.NovelGal_Reads | Feb 5, 2014 |
Really 2.5 Stars

Originally reviewed http://scorchingbookreviews.blogspot.co.uk/2012/12/a-nix-cowboy-review-trouble-i...

I loved the first two in the Bramble series by Katie Lane but this one just didn’t hit the mark for me. It doesn’t really need to be read alongside the other books as it doesn’t feature any of the other characters. My main issue with this book was that, whilst the humour was charming in parts, I didn’t find the characters likeable enough for me to care about their stories. I will continue with this series because I loved the first books but this one was one which I found difficult to finish. ( )
  Scorchingrevs | Sep 21, 2013 |
Lane gave me a delightful tale that had me laughing, crying, giggling and sighing! This was a fast paced story, with wonderful characters that I connected too and had me buying the previous books in the series. Like a lot of the series I love each book can be read as a standalone and centers on a couple.

The tale begins at Miss Hattie’s Henhouse once a place men traveled to from miles around for good brandy, fine Cuban cigars and lovely ladies; the home is crumbling but Brant Cates goes there searching for answers surrounding a family curse and the death of his granddaddy. With a chip and the weight of his family resting squarely on his shoulders he’s seeking to solve a century old crime. Imagine his surprise when he is greeted by a couple of old hens and ends up getting shot. Then finds himself handcuffed to a four-poster bed kissing a woman. Elizabeth Murphy the town librarian and reluctant owner of the Henhouse gets a call from the three old women who reside there and immediately heads out to the farm to see what trouble they have gotten themselves into this time. Imagine her surprise when she discovers a naked man handcuffed to the bed. Brant wakes up and begins kissing Elizabeth thinking he is dreaming but before things can go to far she makes her escape. What have the hens done this time and how will she get them out of this mess? The tale that unfolds was hilarious, romantic and captivating.

Kane provided some of the most unique and colorful characters. Elizabeth is a thirty-seven year old woman who dresses like a school marm, wears her hair in a tight bun and lives alone with her cat. Her mother taught her to avoid men and sadly she lives her life through the pages of the books that line the library walls. I immediately connected with her as we book lovers gotta stick together. The hens exasperate her. She loves them even though she is determined to sell the Henhouse. Brant Cates just oozes smexy, despite the hard-ass walls he has built around himself. This man bears the weight of loss and family. I found him to be noble and sweet. Brant was complex and the more layers the author revealed the more I admired him. (swooned over him!) His brother Beau is go luck after surviving some challenges and I am hoping to get his tale. We meet his other brother who just recently wed, and I am assuming his tale was a previous novel. The Hens themselves were an absolute riot. Their outrageous behavior, willey ways and kind hearts won me over in a heartbeat. The three of them plot to help Elizabeth find happiness and I was rooting for them the entire time. The townsfolk added to the tale and I think I’d have a grand old time if I ever visited just people watching. The romance felt genuine, developed slowly and was at times very hot. I enjoyed watching it unfold.

I thought Trouble in Texas offered up a fresh, fast paced plot. Now granted I do not read a lot of contemporaries and maybe you will tell me it’s been done, but it was new for me and I became completely swept up in the tale. At the top of each chapter the author shares Hen House Rules and each was funny, unique and sometimes truthful. The mystery surrounding Brant’s ancestor was interesting and the reveal shocking. I liked the way the character’s tied into the tale and it came full circle. This was an excellent escape from reality and I enjoyed it immensely.

It should not come as a surprise that I recommend Trouble in Texas and the entire Deep in the Heart of Texas series. Kane spins a wickedly good tale with delightful characters and I am looking forward to reading her books for years to come.

I want to thank Hachette Book Group for providing this ARC in exchange for my unbiased review. Kimba @ Caffeinated Book Reviewer ( )
  kimbacaffeinate | Mar 30, 2013 |
Legend has it, William Frances Cates, great-grandfather of Brant Cates, was shot and killed by Sheriff Murdock over a hundred years ago. The shooting was the result of a dispute relating to a dedication plaque for the town of Bramble. The legend goes on to state that the dispute was about money. William was commissioned to make a plaque for the town hall. The building of the town hall fell behind schedule, thus the plaque William presented had the date the town hall was supposed to be completed, not the date it was actually completed. Since the date was wrong, the town didn’t want to pay. To make matters worse, William’s body was never returned to his family. However, over the course of generations, William’s death turned into the Cates' family curse, which included several deaths.

Branston William Cates is now the oldest of the Cates children. He has it set in his mind that there is a curse on his family. The true oldest child, Buckley, died as a teenager, trying to outrun a train. Brant’s wife Mandy and young son, B.J., were killed in a tornado. And his younger brother, Beau, who is probably in his twenties is a cancer survivor. We first heard of Brant, President of C-Corp, a large family owned oil and gas company, in book three of the series, Catch Me a Cowboy. In that book, C-Corp had just purchased Dalton Oil, one of the largest employers in Bramble, with the intention of closing it down and ruining the town, revenge for killing William Cates.

Elizabeth Murphy is the prim and proper librarian of Bramble. She’s a thirty-seven year old woman, who many consider to be an old-maid. She is strictly business and her clothes show it. Well, maybe not. Her clothes are probably what a seventy-year-old uptight school teacher would wear, if she wasn’t into the latest styles and fashion. Picture hair pulled back into a SUPER tight bun, glasses, and Miss Hathaway from The Beverly Hillbillies. She lives alone with her cat, Atticus. Oh, I forgot to mention she’s never been with a man before.

This is probably the best book in the series. I don’t know what it is about this book, but I love it. Brant and Elizabeth are two people you wouldn’t dream of putting together, but they work. It probably has something to do with the “hens”. The “hens” are a couple of women who use to live and work at Miss Hattie’s Henhouse, just outside of Bramble. In case you haven’t figured it out, the henhouse is a place where a lot of X-rated activity occurred. Or maybe not.

Appearances and perceptions are not always as they appear. The henhouse isn’t totally what you think it is. Brant isn’t anything like the guy he appeared to be in Catch Me a Cowboy. Elizabeth isn’t the quiet, let everyone push her around, not standing up for herself woman.

In Trouble with Texas, Elizabeth is contacted by a lawyer and told her grandmother, a woman she has never met, has left her the henhouse. Miss Hattie’s Henhouse was at one point in time a beautiful place. In fact, it still houses a library any booklover could only dream of being able to step into; and enough antiques to make the host of Antiques Roadshow salivate. But it’s also rundown and in desperate need of repairs. Not only did Elizabeth inherit the house, but she also inherited the three women currently living there. Minnie, the head hen, Sunshine, and Baby don’t want to leave and have some plans of their own.

The story starts out with Brant driving to Bramble to attend the wedding of his brother Billy and Sharlene. On the way to the wedding, he decides to stop at Miss Hattie’s and see if he can find out some information about his great-grandfather. Well, one thing leads to another, and Minnie shoots Brant and then the other hens drug him and handcuff him to a bed. This is only the start of the laughable moments for this book.

I'm all about the journey writers take readers on to get to happy endings. Katie Lane did a wonderful job of taking us on the journey of Elizabeth and Brant towards their HEA. We're able to find out more about Elizabeth and her background. We're also able to get to the bottom of the Cates curse and find out what actually happened to William Frances Cates.

Trouble in Texas is full of surprises and twists. I can't wait to find out what Ms. Lane has in store for us in book five, Flirting with Texas, featuring Beau Cates and Jenna Jay Scroggs.

Source: NetGalley
Reviewed for Read Your Writes Book Reviews ( )
  ReadYourWrites | Jan 19, 2013 |
Author Katie Lane has fast become one of my favorite authors to read. Her Deep in the Heart of Texas series is one of the best cowboy/ small town series out there and her latest book Trouble in Texas is just an enjoyable story to read.

Elizabeth Murphy is the quintessential prim and proper small town librarian. She doesn’t want the town to know of her family’s sordid past – that is is related to women who used to work at the local ‘hen house’. In fact she owns and is looking after the elderly hens that still call it home.

Brant Cates has been seeking revenge for his grandfather’s death. Now that his brothers won’t let him accomplish that he heads into town to watch one of them get married. Before he gets there he makes a stop at Miss Hattie’s, one of the places his deceased grandfather was said to have been. The next thing he knows he is naked and handcuffed to a bed!

I have to say I love how well the plot moves with this old murder mystery and the romance between Brant and Elizabeth. It was nice to see Brant was mostly over his deseeded wife enough that she did not come in-between him and Elizabeth.

I would recommend this book as well as the entire series to anyone who loves a good cowboy romance. ( )
  dpchapman | Jan 1, 2013 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 145551571X, Mass Market Paperback)

THERE'S A FOX IN THE HENHOUSE
Inheriting the most notorious house of ill repute in Texas can spell trouble for a girl's reputation . . . especially when she's Elizabeth Murphy, Bramble's prim and proper librarian. Yet when she discovers a buck-naked cowboy handcuffed to a four-poster bed, she forgets all about the town gossips. Elizabeth has sworn off men, but the stranger's kisses melt her resolve faster than ice cream on a hot summer day.
Waking up in Miss Hattie's Henhouse isn't how Brant Cates reckoned on getting to the bottom of his great-granddaddy's murder. The plan was to solve the centuries-old crime, then get the heck out of Dodge. But after meeting Elizabeth and discovering that the buttoned-up beauty is a sexy siren in disguise, he just can't pull himself away.
Now Brant needs Elizabeth to finally put his past to rest, but is she willing to risk her future on Bramble's newest bad boy?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:45:04 -0400)

Elizabeth Murphy, Bramble's prim and proper librarian, has sworn off men, but Brant Cates' kisses melt her resolve faster than ice cream on a hot day. Brant needs Elizabeth to help solve his great-granddaddy's murder and put his past to rest but is this buttoned-up beauty the future for Bramble's newest bad boy?… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,287,141 books! | Top bar: Always visible