Trouble in Texas (Deep in the Heart of…

Trouble in Texas (Deep in the Heart of Texas) (edition 2012)

by Katie Lane

Member:BookWormRflects
Title:Trouble in Texas (Deep in the Heart of Texas)
Authors:Katie Lane
Info:Forever (2012), Mass Market Paperback, 352 pages
Rating:*****

Trouble in Texas (Deep in the Heart of Texas) by Katie Lane

Katie Lane has a great talent for making characters from all ages and backgrounds into people you come to care about over the course of reading her books. And her innate sense of comedic writing makes it a joy to read her books.

If you've read the series we meet some of the Cates family in the 3rd book. Brant, the oldest and president of C-Corp wanted to close down Dalton Oil in Bramble, TX and had sent his younger brother Billy in as a spy to do it but Billy ended up falling in love with Shirlene and the town. Brandt still blames the town for what he calls the Cates Curse. One his way to Bramble for Billy's wedding he ends up at the infamous Miss Hattie's Henhouse which had been a bordello back in the day. He is greeted by three old women who currently live there who call themselves the Hens, Minnie, Baby and Sunshine. Minnie has a tendency to shoot first and ask questions later. After nicking him in the arm and giving him a drink with drugs in it they cuff him to a bed so he wont call the Sheriff.

Elizabeth Murphy is the prime and proper librarian in Bramble, Texas. She is still a virgin and she also owns Miss Hattie's Henhouse. It wasnt something she wanted and her first priority is to sell it since the Hens can't afford the utility bills and the place is falling apart. When she realizes what the ladies have done she is appalled but ends up not releasing him after realizing he would probably call the sheriff and then the whole town would know she owns the Henhouse.

Brant and Elizabeth eventually come to an agreement that she will help him find out what happened to his great great grandfather if he doesnt press charges. What neither of them counted on what there attraction to each other. Elizabeth has made peace with never marrying and dresses like an old maid to not attract attention to herself. Brant is a bitter man and still grieving man over losing his wife and son in a tornado. And to throw a even bigger monkey wrench into the deal Brandt's brother who has just gotten done with a year of chemotherapy shows up and decides he wants to buy the Henhouse.

The mystery of what really happened to William Cates back in the 1800's is finally solved in this book. We also get to see how Faith and Hope are going with there babies and hubbies and see that the town is still as matchmaking as ever.

Looking forward to Beau's book next. ( )
  CindySnS | Oct 26, 2016 |
This book was a delightful read that shows the characters land in one funny situation after another. All of the characters were likeable and the even the side characters were very colorful. The Hens were simply hilarious.

Trouble in Texas is book four in the Deep in the Heart of Texas series, I haven't read any of the other books in this series and although it could be a standalone, I'd recommend reading the other books first. There are a lot of characters introduced in this book, and I think I'd have enjoyed it even more knowing who they were.

Now don't let me sway you the wrong way with that, because I really did enjoy it. The book was funny and lighthearted, and also a really satisfying read. And I'm looking forward to reading the other books in the series as well. I think you'd like it if you're looking for a fun, light read, with a good Happily Ever After.

***Review copy provided by NetGalley in exchange of an honest review*** ( )
  Chrystina.Williams | Dec 4, 2015 |
Fun and fluffy...and now I have a bit of a hankering to become a Madam. ( )
  A.NovelGal_Reads | Feb 5, 2014 |
Really 2.5 Stars

Originally reviewed http://scorchingbookreviews.blogspot.co.uk/2012/12/a-nix-cowboy-review-trouble-i...

I loved the first two in the Bramble series by Katie Lane but this one just didn’t hit the mark for me. It doesn’t really need to be read alongside the other books as it doesn’t feature any of the other characters. My main issue with this book was that, whilst the humour was charming in parts, I didn’t find the characters likeable enough for me to care about their stories. I will continue with this series because I loved the first books but this one was one which I found difficult to finish. ( )
  Scorchingrevs | Sep 21, 2013 |
Lane gave me a delightful tale that had me laughing, crying, giggling and sighing! This was a fast paced story, with wonderful characters that I connected too and had me buying the previous books in the series. Like a lot of the series I love each book can be read as a standalone and centers on a couple.

The tale begins at Miss Hattie’s Henhouse once a place men traveled to from miles around for good brandy, fine Cuban cigars and lovely ladies; the home is crumbling but Brant Cates goes there searching for answers surrounding a family curse and the death of his granddaddy. With a chip and the weight of his family resting squarely on his shoulders he’s seeking to solve a century old crime. Imagine his surprise when he is greeted by a couple of old hens and ends up getting shot. Then finds himself handcuffed to a four-poster bed kissing a woman. Elizabeth Murphy the town librarian and reluctant owner of the Henhouse gets a call from the three old women who reside there and immediately heads out to the farm to see what trouble they have gotten themselves into this time. Imagine her surprise when she discovers a naked man handcuffed to the bed. Brant wakes up and begins kissing Elizabeth thinking he is dreaming but before things can go to far she makes her escape. What have the hens done this time and how will she get them out of this mess? The tale that unfolds was hilarious, romantic and captivating.

Kane provided some of the most unique and colorful characters. Elizabeth is a thirty-seven year old woman who dresses like a school marm, wears her hair in a tight bun and lives alone with her cat. Her mother taught her to avoid men and sadly she lives her life through the pages of the books that line the library walls. I immediately connected with her as we book lovers gotta stick together. The hens exasperate her. She loves them even though she is determined to sell the Henhouse. Brant Cates just oozes smexy, despite the hard-ass walls he has built around himself. This man bears the weight of loss and family. I found him to be noble and sweet. Brant was complex and the more layers the author revealed the more I admired him. (swooned over him!) His brother Beau is go luck after surviving some challenges and I am hoping to get his tale. We meet his other brother who just recently wed, and I am assuming his tale was a previous novel. The Hens themselves were an absolute riot. Their outrageous behavior, willey ways and kind hearts won me over in a heartbeat. The three of them plot to help Elizabeth find happiness and I was rooting for them the entire time. The townsfolk added to the tale and I think I’d have a grand old time if I ever visited just people watching. The romance felt genuine, developed slowly and was at times very hot. I enjoyed watching it unfold.

I thought Trouble in Texas offered up a fresh, fast paced plot. Now granted I do not read a lot of contemporaries and maybe you will tell me it’s been done, but it was new for me and I became completely swept up in the tale. At the top of each chapter the author shares Hen House Rules and each was funny, unique and sometimes truthful. The mystery surrounding Brant’s ancestor was interesting and the reveal shocking. I liked the way the character’s tied into the tale and it came full circle. This was an excellent escape from reality and I enjoyed it immensely.

It should not come as a surprise that I recommend Trouble in Texas and the entire Deep in the Heart of Texas series. Kane spins a wickedly good tale with delightful characters and I am looking forward to reading her books for years to come.

I want to thank Hachette Book Group for providing this ARC in exchange for my unbiased review. Kimba @ Caffeinated Book Reviewer ( )
  kimbacaffeinate | Mar 30, 2013 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 145551571X, Mass Market Paperback)

THERE'S A FOX IN THE HENHOUSE
Inheriting the most notorious house of ill repute in Texas can spell trouble for a girl's reputation . . . especially when she's Elizabeth Murphy, Bramble's prim and proper librarian. Yet when she discovers a buck-naked cowboy handcuffed to a four-poster bed, she forgets all about the town gossips. Elizabeth has sworn off men, but the stranger's kisses melt her resolve faster than ice cream on a hot summer day.
Waking up in Miss Hattie's Henhouse isn't how Brant Cates reckoned on getting to the bottom of his great-granddaddy's murder. The plan was to solve the centuries-old crime, then get the heck out of Dodge. But after meeting Elizabeth and discovering that the buttoned-up beauty is a sexy siren in disguise, he just can't pull himself away.
Now Brant needs Elizabeth to finally put his past to rest, but is she willing to risk her future on Bramble's newest bad boy?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:08 -0400)

Elizabeth Murphy, Bramble's prim and proper librarian, has sworn off men, but Brant Cates' kisses melt her resolve faster than ice cream on a hot day. Brant needs Elizabeth to help solve his great-granddaddy's murder and put his past to rest but is this buttoned-up beauty the future for Bramble's newest bad boy?… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,799,297 books! | Top bar: Always visible