You Gotta BE the Book: Teaching Engaged…

"You Gotta BE the Book": Teaching Engaged and Reflective Reading with… (edition 2007)

by Jeffrey D. Wilhelm

103None116,693 (4.38)3
Member:sedelia
Title:"You Gotta BE the Book": Teaching Engaged and Reflective Reading with Adolescents, Second Edition (Language and Literacy Series (Teachers College Pr)) (Language & Literacy)
Authors:Jeffrey D. Wilhelm
Info:Teachers College Press (2007), Edition: 2, Paperback, 264 pages
Collections:Owned
Rating:*****
Tags:2012

"You Gotta BE the Book": Teaching Engaged and Reflective Reading With Adolescents by Jeffrey D. Wilhelm

While this is a book I read as a teacher candidate, it is one that I will never let leave my sight. I cannot stop recommending it to fellow teachers. Wilhelm, a veteran teacher, delves into a year of research on what it means to be a reader. What do good readers do that unengaged readers do not? He follows nine students who represent the spectrum of readers that he often encounters. The reader is led on a journey through the year and is able to see how Wilhelm works to get those students who are disengaged, engaged. His philosophy aligns with many teachers' today (myself included). His recommended activities connect with visual, and auditory learners by incorporating drama and art heavily into the curriculum. His actions as a teacher researcher are admirable, and the results seemed both realistic and positive. Learning about research from inside the classroom has suddenly become more beneficial than any article I have read as a teacher candidate. His words help to give teachers a voice that sometimes gets silenced by the outside politics and policies. ( )
  econnick | Nov 23, 2012 |
For teachers or parents out there who are struggling to get their kid to read - get this book! Wilhelm has spent years researching the best methods for engaging struggling readers with books, and for helping engaged readers find even more meaningful ways of connecting with stories, novels, and other texts. "You Gotta BE the Book" gives a fairly good overview of why struggling readers don't like reading, what's preventing them from enjoying books, and how to fix it. It also presents some simple activities that are incredibly effective at helping kids enjoy and make meaning from what they read.

As teachers, it is our responsibility to help struggling students over obstacles. This book isn't just for English teachers, though it definitely has more relevance to them than to any other subject; however, if you teach reading at all in your classroom, Wilhelm's ideas about reading activities and the struggle of low-level readers are definitely worth checking out. I found this book accessible, enjoyable, and incredibly useful in understanding the problems that many students go through and the ways we can help them overcome those problems.

Some of the ideas seem very simple or common-sense, but it's nice to be reminded of what may help students. I especially liked Wilhelm's ideas of using drama and art to respond to a text, instead of the more common question-and-answer or essay approach. I think that all of the activities he presents are practical and easy to implement in the classroom. Read this one! It's worth it. ( )
  sedelia | Nov 15, 2012 |
Like, Dude, you gotta BE the book. Dig? ( )
  tgoodson | Aug 10, 2008 |

Over a decade ago, Jeffrey Wilhelm s groundbreaking book showed educators how to think of reading as a personally meaningful, pleasurable, and productive pursuit. In the 13 years since its publication, the author has experimented with and further developed all of the techniques he first explored in You Gotta BE the Book, including visual techniques, drama and action strategies, think-aloud protocols, and symbolic story representation/reading manipulatives. In this expanded edition, Wilhelm adds a new commentary to each chapter in which he reflects on the research and insights he introduced in his now classic text.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:53:25 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,475,147 books! | Top bar: Always visible