Blood Music by Greg Bear

Blood Music

by Greg Bear

Recently added bytokyoadam, LitaVore, private library, cthulhoo, jgbresson, collinssl1, karenb, jeroenvandorp, deliawl
Legacy LibrariesTerence Kemp McKenna
    Brain Plague by Joan Slonczewski (sandstone78)
    sandstone78: For sentience at the microscopic level affecting human life and behavior.

English (34)  Spanish (1)  Finnish (1)  All (36)
“I'm not as nonchalant as I seem. I'm worried, Edward. I'd like to find a better way to control them before they find out about my brain. I mean, think of it. They're in the billions by now, more if they're converting other kinds of cells. Maybe trillions. Each cluster smart. I'm probably the smartest thing on the planet, and they haven't begun to get their act together. I don't want them to take over.” He laughed unpleasantly. “Steal my soul, you know? So think of some treatment to block them. Maybe we can starve the little buggers. Just think on it." He buttoned his shirt. "Give me a call."

A selfish and slapdash scientist brings about the end of the world through sheer carelessness . I'm not sure how I feel about this book, but the more far-fetched it got the less I cared about what was happening. ( )
  isabelx | Jan 1, 2017 |
Another Hugo book read - this time "Blood Music" by Greg Bear. Its one that has been sitting in my shelves for awhile - and I needed a short afternoon read. It was a good choice - not to heady, perfect length, good story.

First - I found the first half to be a bit stereotypical - nerdy anti-social scientist running un-ethical experiments at a biotech firm releases a world ending plague of microbes that convert everything to more microbes. Its been done over and over - however, this might be the first story that everybody copied from. The second half of the book is where it shines. It goes from an end of the world scenario to something completely different. Just what are the intelligent microbes doing, and why are they doing it - is the question.

The main character (now the handsome scientist/businessman) is still stereotypical. Not a lot of character development. Other characters such as, developmentally challenged Suzy, who was not changed, must survive in a changed world. There are other characters, but they mostly fade out of the story.

This book suffers from a lack of depth from the characters, but it shines when it comes to how the intelligent bacteria was handled. Even though this book was written in 1985, it didn't feel dated.

Recommended. ( )
  TheDivineOomba | Nov 20, 2016 |
In the novel, renegade biotechnologist Vergil Ulam creates simple biological computers based on his own lymphocytes. Faced with orders from his nervous employer to destroy his work, he injects them into his own body, intending to smuggle the 'noocytes' (as he calls them) out of the company and work on them elsewhere. Inside Ulam's body, the noocytes multiply and evolve rapidly, altering their own genetic material and quickly becoming self-aware. The nanoscale civilization they construct soon begins to transform Ulam, then others, until eventually assimilating most of the biosphere of North America. This civilization, which incorporates both the evolved noocytes and recently-assimilated conventional humans, is eventually forced to abandon the normal plane of existence
  bostonwendym | Mar 3, 2016 |
Interesting concept with some interesting twists, but just did not keep my attention and some parts just did not make sense. ( )
  bookwyrmm | Jul 9, 2015 |
in Natalie Angier's chapter on evolutionary biology in The Canon, she notes that among the attributes of living organisms, cell structure has undergone the least amount of change across millions of years of evolution. So what if some mad scientist tampers with that structure to make "smart" cells? Association item: the Treehouse of Horror episode where Lisa creates an entire civilization from a culture of Bart's snot. Bear writes better SF than Michael Crichton, fwiw. ( )
  featherbear | May 30, 2015 |

Bear, GregAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brautigam, DonCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jetter, FrancesCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Salwowski, MarkCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wachtenheim, DorothyCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Astrid - Luxury, necessity, obsession With all my love
Each hour, a myriad of trillion of little live things - microbes, bacteria, the peasants of nature - are born and die, not counting for much except in the bulk of their numbers and the accumulation of their tiny lives.

Vergil Ulam's breakthrough in genetic engineering is considered too dangerous for further research. Rather than destroy his work, he injects himself with his creation and walks out of his lab, unaware of just quite how his actions will change the world. Bear's treatment of the traditional tale of scientific hubris is suspenseful and a compelling portrait of a new intelligence emerging amongst us and changing our world irrevocably.

In the tradition of the greatest cyberpunk novels, Blood Music explores the imminent destruction of mankind and the fear of mass destruction by technological advancements. Blood Music follows present-day events in which the fears concerning the nuclear annihilation of the world subsided after the Cold War and the fear of chemical warfare spilled over into the empty void of nuclear fear. An amazing breakthrough in genetic engineering made by Vergil Ulam is considered too dangerous for further research, but rather than destroy his work, he injects himself with his creation and walks out of his lab, unaware of just quite how his actions will change the world. Author Greg Bear's treatment of the traditional tale of scientific hubris is both suspenseful and a compelling portrait of a new intelligence emerging amongst us, irrevocably changing our world.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:54 -0400)

In order to save his biochip experiments from his nervous employers, eccentric genius Vergil Ulam of Genetron Labs injects himself with his cell cultures, thereby beginning a startling physical transformation that rapidly spreads across the continent.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,213,692 books! | Top bar: Always visible