Blood Music by Greg Bear

Blood Music

by Greg Bear

Recently added bywisemetis, evilTak, Vulco1, private library, bmdenny, Buehlmann, pat_macewen, JasonBraun, thindor, AnthonyTFS
Legacy LibrariesTerence Kemp McKenna
    Brain Plague by Joan Slonczewski (sandstone78)
    sandstone78: For sentience at the microscopic level affecting human life and behavior.

English (36)  Spanish (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (38)
This is the way the world ends: not with a bang but with a quantum mechanic WTF. ( )
  Jon_Hansen | Jun 3, 2018 |
An early take on a biotech-induced meltdown, but one with some interesting twists. Bio-engineered bugs become intelligent and take over their human hosts. They then realise that killing off the host is not a good idea and instead start to assimilate them, ultimately ending up with a vast, amorphous biomass but one which still contains strains of individualism. They then go on to have some rather poorly defined impact on the world at the quantum level. Then it ends. Very rich in ideas but they're not always clearly explained or followed through. And the characterisation and plotting are cardboard cut-out quality. The first rule of writing good sci-fi is to write a good book and this falls short on several counts. An absorbing, in some ways stimulating, but ultimately frustrating book. 3 July 2017. ( )
  alanca | Jul 6, 2017 |
Now a classic, I think this is a well-written, very suspenseful novel. ( )
  nmele | Jun 16, 2017 |
“I'm not as nonchalant as I seem. I'm worried, Edward. I'd like to find a better way to control them before they find out about my brain. I mean, think of it. They're in the billions by now, more if they're converting other kinds of cells. Maybe trillions. Each cluster smart. I'm probably the smartest thing on the planet, and they haven't begun to get their act together. I don't want them to take over.” He laughed unpleasantly. “Steal my soul, you know? So think of some treatment to block them. Maybe we can starve the little buggers. Just think on it." He buttoned his shirt. "Give me a call."

A selfish and slapdash scientist brings about the end of the world through sheer carelessness . I'm not sure how I feel about this book, but the more far-fetched it got the less I cared about what was happening. ( )
  isabelx | Jan 1, 2017 |
Another Hugo book read - this time "Blood Music" by Greg Bear. Its one that has been sitting in my shelves for awhile - and I needed a short afternoon read. It was a good choice - not to heady, perfect length, good story.

First - I found the first half to be a bit stereotypical - nerdy anti-social scientist running un-ethical experiments at a biotech firm releases a world ending plague of microbes that convert everything to more microbes. Its been done over and over - however, this might be the first story that everybody copied from. The second half of the book is where it shines. It goes from an end of the world scenario to something completely different. Just what are the intelligent microbes doing, and why are they doing it - is the question.

The main character (now the handsome scientist/businessman) is still stereotypical. Not a lot of character development. Other characters such as, developmentally challenged Suzy, who was not changed, must survive in a changed world. There are other characters, but they mostly fade out of the story.

This book suffers from a lack of depth from the characters, but it shines when it comes to how the intelligent bacteria was handled. Even though this book was written in 1985, it didn't feel dated.

Recommended. ( )
  TheDivineOomba | Nov 20, 2016 |

Bear, GregAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brautigam, DonCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jetter, FrancesCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Salwowski, MarkCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wachtenheim, DorothyCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Astrid - Luxury, necessity, obsession With all my love
Each hour, a myriad of trillion of little live things - microbes, bacteria, the peasants of nature - are born and die, not counting for much except in the bulk of their numbers and the accumulation of their tiny lives.

Vergil Ulam's breakthrough in genetic engineering is considered too dangerous for further research. Rather than destroy his work, he injects himself with his creation and walks out of his lab, unaware of just quite how his actions will change the world. Bear's treatment of the traditional tale of scientific hubris is suspenseful and a compelling portrait of a new intelligence emerging amongst us and changing our world irrevocably.

In the tradition of the greatest cyberpunk novels, Blood Music explores the imminent destruction of mankind and the fear of mass destruction by technological advancements. Blood Music follows present-day events in which the fears concerning the nuclear annihilation of the world subsided after the Cold War and the fear of chemical warfare spilled over into the empty void of nuclear fear. An amazing breakthrough in genetic engineering made by Vergil Ulam is considered too dangerous for further research, but rather than destroy his work, he injects himself with his creation and walks out of his lab, unaware of just quite how his actions will change the world. Author Greg Bear's treatment of the traditional tale of scientific hubris is both suspenseful and a compelling portrait of a new intelligence emerging amongst us, irrevocably changing our world.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:54 -0400)

In order to save his biochip experiments from his nervous employers, eccentric genius Vergil Ulam of Genetron Labs injects himself with his cell cultures, thereby beginning a startling physical transformation that rapidly spreads across the continent.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,595,376 books! | Top bar: Always visible