U2 by U2 by U2

Authors:U2
Info:HarperCollins Entertainment (2006), Hardcover, 352 pages
Tags:music

U2 by U2 by U2

If you are a huge U2 fan, you will probably really like this book. It was a little too much detail for me.
  shelbycassie | Aug 5, 2018 |
Great Book -- actually met the entire band at an exclusive book signing and got the book signed. It has some rare photos and interesting anecdotes about the band and their time together. ( )
  jrittermaine | May 9, 2014 |
A must-have for all U2 fans! This features in-depth look at each band members, collection of their photos from their years as a band, commentaries from their closest friends, and their outlook to the future as a band.The book is big and heavy but it's worth having on your shelf. I like reading it while soundtripping to their albums. You'll be fascinated at how each of them are different yet able to work together and be the best of friends to each other. ( )
  maidenveil | Sep 13, 2010 |
I assume that after the success of Bono's converstaion book, the band tried the same thing. Sometimes it works, sometimes, well, it needs adjusting.

I am a huge U2 fan. Have been since I saw "Gloria" on MTV. So I really enjoyed every insight and thought about the music and the journey. It was fascinating to hear the exchange of ideas, to gauge the input of each member of the band. From that standpoint, I really enjoyed the format, each person's thoughts and words credited. I was fascinated to hear their comments on the music after they had time to think about it, play it live, listen to the critics. I was amazed that What I liked, they felt bad about (Pop), and what I hated they felt like was some of their best music (Zooropa).

I discovered, much to my immense relief, that these are thoughtful and passionate men. They are trying to do something, to say something important, to leave the world a better place. I don't always agree, in fact, most of the time I disagree, but I am refreshed that they didn't just "feel like" this was right politically or spiritually. They thought it out, tested it, and are constantly rehashing their beliefs. We may come to different conclusions, but they are stretching for truth and honesty. After reading other autobiographies/biographies (Steve Wozniak and Bruce Springsteen come to mind), I was dismayed at how little they had thought about their politics before wielding the immense influence their gifts gave to them.

I was gratified at the amount of humility they displayed. It gives me hope for humanity...some at least. They have the ability to laugh at themselves and have you laughing with them. (The Bono in New York and Bono in Atlanta stories are worth the price of admission. I laughed so hard I cried). For such an earnest bunch, they are having a lot of fun.

However, the thing that bothered me was the questions left unanswered. The book runs 345 pages, (with a lot of pictures), so it is difficult to say that I wanted more, but that was the feeling I was left with. But I wanted more in very specific situations. I wanted to know more about the faith crisis that brought the band to the brink of collapse. I wanted to hear more about what happened with Adam Clayton the night he didn't show up for the concert, about his way out of that. In fact, at moments I felt the protective layer of glaze that humans use to protect their reputations. We always tell stories in such a way that we come off looking the best possible. Perhaps they are just protecting their private life. Fine, but don't write an autobiography if that is what you want. The only real reason to write is to help others, to move humanity forward. If that is the case, we need much more transpanrency and less magic (I missed the concert and now I am much better...and we all lived happily ever after).

I suppose the reviews tend to focus on what you don't like. Maybe it's just a bent of my own crooked nature. But the sum is this: if you are a U2 fan, you have got to read this book. If you are an aspiring artist, you have got to read this book. If you plan to work on a team that must stay together for decades to be successful, you have got to read this book. They may not lay it out in step by step, self-help format, but it is all there if you look for it. ( )
  markmobley | Oct 6, 2006 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060776757, Hardcover)

In 1975, four teenagers from Mount Temple School in Dublin gathered in a crowded kitchen to discuss forming a band. The drum kit just about fit into the room, the lead guitarist was playing a homemade guitar, the bassist could barely play at all and nobody wanted to sing. Over thirty years later, Bono, The Edge, Adam Clayton and Larry Mullen Jr. are still together, bound by intense loyalty, passionate idealism and a relentless belief in the power of rock and roll to change the world.

Watch a video introduction to U2 by U2

In a epic journey that has taken them from the clubs of Dublin to the stadiums of the world, U2 have sold over 130 million albums, been number one all over the world, revolutionized live performance, spearheaded political campaigns and made music that defines the age we live in.

From the anarchic days of their Seventies punk origins through their Eighties ascent to superstardom with the epic rock of The Joshua Tree, the dark post-modern ironies of Achtung Baby in the Nineties and their 21st-Century resurgence as rock's biggest and boldest band, this is a tale of faith, love, drama, family, birth, death, survival, conflict, crises, creativity . . . and a lot of laughter.

Told with wit, insight and astonishing candour by the band themselves and manager Paul McGuinness, with pictures from their own archives, U2 by U2 allows unprecedented access into the inner life of the greatest rock band of our times.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:57 -0400)

This is the story of U2, in their own words and pictures. Told with wit, insight and astonishing candour by the band themselves and manager Paul McGuinness, with pictures from their own archives, "U2 By U2" allows unprecedented access into the inner life of the greatest rock band of our times.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 137,472,556 books! | Top bar: Always visible