Justice (Deck of Lies, #1) by Jade Varden

Justice (Deck of Lies, #1) (edition 2012)

by Jade Varden

332,001,085 (4.67)None
Member:CharDixon
Title:Justice (Deck of Lies, #1)
Authors:Jade Varden
Info:CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (2012), Paperback, 152 pages
Rating:*****

Justice (Deck of Lies, #1) by Jade Varden

Recently added byCharDixon, jbronderblogs, erleen

Wow. It is 4:09 am. My friend Nicole sent me this book to review at 10:21. I couldn’t sleep, so I thought maybe I’d read a little bit of it until I got sleepy. That was about 12:10.

I have just finished the book and as soon as I finish writing this I will be finding the next in the series.

Jade Varden has completely sucked me into this story she is weaving.

What could oh so easily have been just another fish out of water story full of trite and tired cliché is instead a well thought out and cleverly written page turner.

I’m normally a science fantasy and occasional history inspired thriller type (with the occasional historical romance fling) so this isn’t something I would have picked up on my own.

Rain/Chloe is an emotional angsty teenage girl – who happens to have just found out that her parents aren’t her parents, her brother isn’t her brother and nothing else makes sense either in the new life she is dropped into. But she isn’t annoying or over the top. I like her. I would have wanted to be friends with her.

That is the key point that makes this more than just throw away YA fiction. Rain/Chloe seems real and that makes the extraordinary situation and everything that revolves around it work.

Varden has created a fantastic cast of supporting characters as well. They are fully realized individuals not just plot devices or frosting. She also has a knack for throwing in surprises you drop your jaw at but also work.

Jade Varden is an excellent storyteller with a deft hand at flowing prose. The story is compelling and interesting. The reader is drawn in and lead through the book in a journey made seamless by the adroit choice of words and sentence structure.

I was surprised, shocked, upset and angry right along with Rain/Chloe.

I am trying really hard not to give any spoilers away in this review and it is hard. The shocking revelations and intrigue start almost immediately. Who should she trust? What is still being hidden?

If Justice (Deck of Lies #1) is any indication this is going to be an excellent series.

Well done and thank you Jade Varden.

My only suggestion at this point would be to rethink the cover art. The current choice does not do justice to the story within.

P.S.
I just finished books 2 and 3 and it is now 8:33 am ( )
  CharDixon | Nov 24, 2012 |
Rain Ramey just won a scholarship to an elite private school, Sloane. Sadly Rain doesn’t fit in and is bullied her first day. At the end of the day, she just wants to go home and forget about school but the main bully, Carsyn, is waiting for Rain and tells her that she wants to make it up to her and take her shopping. While shopping, Rain is taken into custody for shoplifting. When her fingerprints are run, it is discovered that she was a kidnapped child of a local family.

Rain is really Chloe von Shelton, a local rich family. Rain is confused and lost. She can’t believe that her parents kidnapped her and she can’t believe the family she came from. She has a hard time accepting everything that is going on around her, from the impersonal kiss and dinners with her family to the behavior that is expected from her. Rain decides that she is going to find out what really happened.

While researching, Rain meets Fallon, a troubled teen that was in the mental ward but also attends Sloane. Fallon helps her find more about her past and Rain starts having feelings for him. But there is also Owen, Carsyn’s boyfriend, that seems to like her and Tom, one of Owen’s friends that Rain can’t get over him wanting to go out on a date with her.

I really liked this story. It has a reverse Cinderella feeling to it. The poor girl finds out she is actually a rich girl, but being a rich girls is not as easy as it first seems. I feel for poor Rain. It was painful to be ripped out of her family. I’m really interested to find out more about what happened to Rain.

This is a great start to the series and I think many people will enjoy the short read. I personally can’t wait to read the next books.

I received this book for free in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  jbronderblogs | Sep 24, 2012 |
Justice revolves around Rain Ramey who found out that the things she knew about her life was all a lie and just in one day her world turned upside down.

The quote, "Don't judge a book by its cover" is so applicable to this one. I, myself, am surprised that I liked this book really much. I didn't expect, I'd be engrossed and intrigued with the mystery in Rain's identity and that I'd be shocked a few times with the revelations, but I did. My favorite revelation from this book is when Rain met her big brother. I imagined that scene to be really, really awkward. I would die in shame if I was Rain.

The only thing that I dislike about this book is, it's a bit serious for a YA novel but nonetheless, I still liked this book.

I would recommend this to everyone who likes to be shocked and intrigued. Perfect for people who likes to be surprised and for people who thinks they can't be surprised. Try this and see for yourself. ( )
  erleen | Aug 28, 2012 |

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,000,090 books! | Top bar: Always visible