Darwin's Children by Greg Bear

Darwin's Children (original 2003; edition 2004)

by Greg Bear

Member:Skaidon
Title:Darwin's Children
Authors:Greg Bear
Info:Del Rey (2004), Mass Market Paperback, 512 pages

Darwin's Children by Greg Bear (2003)

English (17)  French (2)  Swedish (1)  All languages (20)
This is actually more a second volume to a story than it is a sequel. The characters from the first book continue through the years. There is some great medical science fiction with a strong touch of mystical happening as well. In my opinion, understanding the theory is not necessary for enjoying the story, so don't get bogged down with that. Don't miss the section at the end called "Caveats" where Bear explains himself a bit. ( )
  ajlewis2 | Jul 11, 2018 |
This book is broken into 3 parts, separated by a few years each. In addition, each part follows at least 3 separate story lines. I felt the first part was fairly interesting,if mainly in the segments which follow the family of Mitch, Kaye, and Stella. I really hate political maneuvering, so that wiped out a great deal of the story for the last 2 parts. Then I felt that Bear was spending a lot of time delving into the interrelationships between viruses and humans, and how this affected the changes the children underwent. He does include a brief tutorial at the end, and a glossary of science terms, as if that will help the reader feel his speculations have some validity. Not knowing what DNA, RNA, or genetic transfer is about was not my problem. I was dissatisfied with his use of so many created theories. At one point one of his characters, Marge Cross, says "Let's not confuse our ERV with someone else's ERV," rattling off a lot of the scientific terms which can be used so glibly but need to be clearly understood in order to make sense.
Thumbs down, I'm giving this away. ( )
  juniperSun | Jun 9, 2016 |
::spoilers:: I felt this book an unsatisfying follow-up to the first book, Darwin's Radio. I enjoy his narrative technique of jumping between character/location for each successive chapter -- it leaves the reader guessing and waiting for that moment when the 3 subplots will intersect (Kaye, Mitch, and Dicken). The first book satisfies that anticipation, while Darwin's Children strangely leaves one plot thread hanging and unconnected (what does ever happen to Dicken and the Shevite he rescues?). Will's inability to adapt to the camp in California is peculiar, since he was the one who had been wanting to go there in the first place. And the idea that the world would embrace the Shevites because of remains found at an archeological dig is simply stretching it... I would have thought his ideas more interesting and provocative had he left things as they were at the end of Darwin's Radio: a confused and unaccepting world struggles to deal with a force of nature that it tries but fails desperately to understand and to control and is left wondering -- where do we go from here. ( )
  mabrown22 | Jul 17, 2013 |
Enjoyable, though not quite as good as the first in the set: Darwin's Radio. ( )
  chndlrs | May 29, 2013 |
I did not read "Darwin's Radio" but when this sequel chanced my way, I read it, thinking that it might work as a stand-alone story. It does, but there is much in the book that is unsatisfying. Possibly because Bear had already invested time in character development in the first work, the character's never quite seemed dimensional in this one. Many, many pages were given to conversations, meetings and exposition in which the science that supports the novel was explained. Necessary but, in this case, occasionally sleep-inducing. Political and sociological commentary figured largely, which is also fine, and an important part of any good science fiction novel, but somehow, in this instance, it seemed didactic. All criticisms aside, the topic was extremely interesting and well-researched. Bear dealt beautifully with speculating on alternative forms of communication as the next step in the evolutionary process. There is much to like about this book, but I would tend to recommend it to friends with many caveats. ( )
  turtlesleap | May 22, 2013 |

Greg Bearprimary authorall editionscalculated
Perini, BenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
America's a cruel country. There's a whole lot of people would just as soon stomp you like an ant. Listen to talk radio. Planty of dummies, damned few ventriloquists.

There's a wolf snarl behind the picnics and Boy Scout badges.

They want to kill our kids. Lord help us all.
--Anonymous posting, ALT.NEWCHILD.FAM
To My Father, Dale Franklin Bear
Morning lay dark and quiet around the house.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0345448367, Mass Market Paperback)

Darwin's Children, Greg Bear's follow-up to Darwin's Radio, is top-shelf science fiction, thrilling and intellectually charged. It's no standalone, though. The plot and characters are certainly independent of the previous novel, but the background in Darwin's Radio is essential to nonbiologists trying to understand what's going on. The next stage of human evolution has arrived, announced by the birth of bizarre "virus children." Now the children with the hypersenses and odd faces are growing up, and the world has to figure out what to do with them. The answer is evil and all too human, as governments put the kids in camps to protect regular folks from imagined dangers. Mitch and Kaye, scientists whose daughter Stella is swept up in the fray, become unwillingly involved in the politics that erupt around the issue of the new humans. Harrowing chases, gun battles, epidemics, and tense meetings about civil rights ensue, all brilliantly narrated. But just when you think you've got the book figured out, Bear throws a massive curveball by introducing... religion. That's right, a good old-fashioned epiphany, plopped down in the middle of a hard science fiction novel. But even skeptical readers will be swept along with Kaye as she tries to deal with what's happening to her and how it relates to the fate of her daughter's species. Keep reading past the words that make you uncomfortable--the hot science, the cool spirituality--and you'll be rewarded with a story of complete and moving humanity. --Therese Littleton

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:26 -0400)

Scientists Kaye Lang and Mitch Rafelson, parents of Stella, a genetically-enhanced child born as a result of mutations in the human genome caused by the SHEVA virus, lose the struggle to keep their daughter safe from a repressive government that wants to control the virus children by isolating them from the general population.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,822,493 books! | Top bar: Always visible