Darwin's Radio by Greg Bear

Darwin's Radio

by Greg Bear

Series: Darwin Series (1)

English (62)  French (2)  Swedish (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (66)
This book started out with an interesting idea -- that there are parts of our genes that code for great leaps forward in evolution -- but it quickly became silly and slow and very predictable. I just wanted it to get to the point already because it was easy to see what would happen. ( )
  piersanti | Sep 28, 2014 |
I loved this book. I can't remember exactly when I read it. Many years ago. But I loved it. It was the beginning of my love for Greg Bear. This is hard science fiction, which means it's going to either require or try to teach you some science principles and concepts as a basis for the plot, and this particular plot is all about evolution. Let's face it. This book would have had to really, really sucked to have lost me at this point. But there are a lot of interesting concepts here, speculations about evolution by punctuated equilibrium, what role "junk DNA" plays in evolution, the interaction of viruses and our DNA... The more character-based portion of the plot occasionally had a sort of Dean Koontz-ish feel, which seems overly harsh to say, but then again, Dean Koontz has sold millions and millions of novels and I bought a few dozen or so in my youth, so maybe it's not as mean as all that.

With any good sf, there are also interesting societal implications. How would people react if evolution were suddenly happening before their eyes? This part is the same basic idea as the X-Men -- in a world divided into sapiens and whatever comes next, how will the two species interact?

Very interesting stuff, to my mind. ( )
  greeniezona | Sep 20, 2014 |

The plot of this book would pad out a short story quite nicely, but as a novel it is one big yawn. The author is a fairly typical old school sci-fi author. Lots and lots of terminology which makes the book feel well researched, but also less accessible. One central "what if.." and then told in language that would make a poet cry. Almost every single character, minor or major, is described in detail. As a reader, discovering that random doctor nummer 79 is wearing a pantsuit and tasseled shoes whilst being very precise and somewhat socially akward is information I don't need when random doctor number 79 is just in the scene to provide us with yet another piece of genetic infodumping.

Both significant female characters in the boom are evaluated on how good they are in bed. As I said, old school sci-fi author. Very classy.

The book is dull and poorly written, and like much of the 80s, best left behind. ( )
  StigE | Feb 22, 2014 |
Reseña de Fantasía Mágica

El argumento promete mucho, y de hecho es muy atrapante en el comienzo. Es diferente. Tiene intriga, misterio, suspenso, un poco de ciencia ficción que no parece tan ciencia ficción...
... y entonces empieza la parte complicada.

Para leer este libro es necesario tener conocimientos de biología, o genética, o medicina.
El 70% de los diálogos y el desarrollo giran en torno a elevadas explicaciones y conversaciones científicas realmente difíciles de entender para quienes no sabemos nada de esos temas.
Todo esto hace que el libro se vuelva pesado y difícil de seguir. Uno espera con ansia que vuelvan los fragmentos que no hablan de genética, porque la historia en sí es buena, lástima que se le dedique tan poco espacio.
Por momentos me veía tentada de saltear partes, pero aún así seguía leyendo (o siguiendo las palabras con los ojos) por temor a que se me pasara por alto algo que realmente aportara a la trama.

Los personajes están bien logrados, aunque lo que más nos enteramos de ellos es cuánto saben de genética.
Algo a destacar es la forma en que están armados los diálogos. No se hasta dónde es correcto lo que dicen los personajes, pero como son conversaciones entre entendidos en el tema no se cae en el hacer aclaraciones que para los interlocutores serían innecesarias (aunque para el lector promedio no estarían de más) porque se supone que todos saben de qué estan hablando. Yo, en cambio, no tenía idea.
A pesar de todo se logra un cierto vínculo con los protagonistas, especialmente cuando la historia se complica y se nos permite conocerlos más a fondo. ( )
  outlanders22 | Sep 21, 2013 |
Excellent book. I read it twice. I'll probably read it again. ( )
  DLKeur | Jul 9, 2013 |

Greg Bearprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Guidall, GeorgeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Romero,Pedro JorgeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rosvall, MattiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For My Mother, Wilma Merriman Bear 1915-1997
The flat afternoon sky spread over the black and gray mountains like a stage backdrop, the color of a dog's pale crazy eye.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0345435249, Mass Market Paperback)

All the best thrillers contain the solution to a mystery, and the mystery in this intellectually sparkling scientific thriller is more crucial and stranger than most. Why are people turning against their neighbors and their newborn children? And what is causing an epidemic of still births? A disgraced paleontologist and a genetic engineer both come across evidence of cover-ups in which the government is clearly up to no good. But no one knows what's really going on, and the government is covering up because that is what, in thrillers as in life, governments do. And what has any of this to do with the discovery of a Neanderthal family whose mummified faces show signs of a strange peeling?

Greg Bear has spent much of his recent career evoking awe in the deep reaches of space, but he made his name with Blood Music, a novel of nanotechnology that crackled with intelligence. His new book is a workout for the mind and a stunning read; human malignancy has its role in his thriller plot, but its real villain, as well as its last best hope, is the endless ingenious cruelty of the natural world and evolution. --Roz Kaveney, Amazon.co.uk

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:02:18 -0400)

When a virus that has slept in our DNA for millions of years wakes up, will the human race survive?

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,392,563 books! | Top bar: Always visible