Darwin's Radio by Greg Bear

Darwin's Radio

by Greg Bear

Series: Darwin Series (1)

English (70)  French (2)  Swedish (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (74)
Young women are getting a virus, which causes them, if they are pregnant, to miscarry. But then they get pregnant again--without sex. Immaculate conception, apparently. Meanwhile, an investigator for the Centers for Disease Control, looking for a disease scary enough to preserve CDC's funding so that it will survive to fight the next big threat, finds evidence of strange massacres that have occurred in different parts of the world over the last fifty years: massacres of pregnant women and their husbands or partners. When their neighbors can be questioned about why it happened, they say that the women were bringing the devil's children into the world. An American scientist has discovered evidence that long-latent "junk DNA" in human cells has become active, and is doing something.

And a disgraced paleontologist discovers three frozen corpses high in the Alps--a Neaderthal man, a Neaderthal woman, and a newborn baby, who appears to be Cro-Magnon, but also, when tissue samples are resequenced, appears to be definitely her child, and probably the man's, as well.

This was fascinating to read, and I recommend it, but probably not to any woman who is pregnant. ( )
  LisCarey | Sep 19, 2018 |
Fantastic story and so well written. I did feel a bit bogged down in the scientific theory, but not understanding some of it did not take away from the enjoyment. At the end of the book there is a short explanation of the science and a glossary to assist if the reader chooses. It's not at all hard to imagine this story, or something like it, taking place. ( )
  ajlewis2 | Jul 11, 2018 |
This book was fascinating, but it was a mental stretch. I was trying to pull back my high school and college bio classes. The perspective was fascinating and the portrayal of the governments role in the crisis felt very accurate. It made me think, which felt very good. ( )
  kbartosh | Mar 27, 2018 |
I loved this book. I can't remember exactly when I read it. Many years ago. But I loved it. It was the beginning of my love for Greg Bear. This is hard science fiction, which means it's going to either require or try to teach you some science principles and concepts as a basis for the plot, and this particular plot is all about evolution. Let's face it. This book would have had to really, really sucked to have lost me at this point. But there are a lot of interesting concepts here, speculations about evolution by punctuated equilibrium, what role "junk DNA" plays in evolution, the interaction of viruses and our DNA... The more character-based portion of the plot occasionally had a sort of Dean Koontz-ish feel, which seems overly harsh to say, but then again, Dean Koontz has sold millions and millions of novels and I bought a few dozen or so in my youth, so maybe it's not as mean as all that.

With any good sf, there are also interesting societal implications. How would people react if evolution were suddenly happening before their eyes? This part is the same basic idea as the X-Men -- in a world divided into sapiens and whatever comes next, how will the two species interact?

Very interesting stuff, to my mind. ( )
  greeniezona | Dec 6, 2017 |
4* for this audiobook edition, 3½* for the book itself. It probably deserves better than that but the politics, while scarily believable, formed too much of the book for me without giving me the feeling of a complete picture. ( )
  leslie.98 | Jul 20, 2017 |

Greg Bearprimary authorall editionscalculated
Guidall, GeorgeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Romero,Pedro JorgeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rosvall, MattiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For My Mother, Wilma Merriman Bear 1915-1997
The flat afternoon sky spread over the black and gray mountains like a stage backdrop, the color of a dog's pale crazy eye.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0345435249, Mass Market Paperback)

All the best thrillers contain the solution to a mystery, and the mystery in this intellectually sparkling scientific thriller is more crucial and stranger than most. Why are people turning against their neighbors and their newborn children? And what is causing an epidemic of still births? A disgraced paleontologist and a genetic engineer both come across evidence of cover-ups in which the government is clearly up to no good. But no one knows what's really going on, and the government is covering up because that is what, in thrillers as in life, governments do. And what has any of this to do with the discovery of a Neanderthal family whose mummified faces show signs of a strange peeling?

Greg Bear has spent much of his recent career evoking awe in the deep reaches of space, but he made his name with Blood Music, a novel of nanotechnology that crackled with intelligence. His new book is a workout for the mind and a stunning read; human malignancy has its role in his thriller plot, but its real villain, as well as its last best hope, is the endless ingenious cruelty of the natural world and evolution. --Roz Kaveney, Amazon.co.uk

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:04 -0400)

When a virus that has slept in our DNA for millions of years wakes up, will the human race survive?

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,301,730 books! | Top bar: Always visible