Darwin's Radio by Greg Bear

Darwin's Radio

by Greg Bear

Series: Darwin Series (1)

English (65)  French (2)  Swedish (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (69)
Great slow burner. Ended up going out and buying myself a copy of the hardcover because I enjoyed it so much, but despite having read this at the beginning of August I haven't yet gotten around to reading book 2. I think I got burned on Greg Bear when I decided to read something of his when I was either in middle school or high school, and just wasn't old enough to read it and actually understand it, so I've shied away from him ever since. I did the same thing with the Dragon series of Anne McCaffrey's, and when I finally got around to reading it I devoured the whole series. I think, now that I've come back to him, Greg Bear and I are likely to be good friends. ( )
  lyrrael | Sep 3, 2015 |
My son's mum flipped through this book and said it seemed like it was done by a virologist who thought they could write, as opposed to a writer who thought they understood virology. I don't 100% agree--she is certainly right if we are referring to the sciencey passages, but there are also the character moments and dramatic reveals that we expect from a well-put-together Hollywood biothriller. Some of them, like the birth of a key baby for humanity's future, are handled masterfully. And certainly I can admire Bear's commitment to getting the science right. But the two sides do not always seem well integrated, and some kind of weird contempt for the masses and their ignorance (in the face of a terrifying epidemic that even the experts don't understand!) seeps in. I enjoyed this, but I would not read it again, although I would read the sequel if it came to me of its own accord. ( )
1 vote MeditationesMartini | Jul 31, 2015 |
Greg Bear's fiction ingeniously combines cutting-edge science and unforgettable characters. It has won multiple Hugo and Nebula Awards and choruses of critical acclaim. Now, with Darwin's Radio, Bear creates a nonstop thriller swirling with provocative ideas about the next step of human evolution.

In a cave high in the Alps, a renegade anthropologist discovers a frozen Neanderthal couple with a Homo sapiens baby. Meanwhile, in southern Russia, the U.N. investigation of a mysterious mass grave is cut short. One of the investigators, molecular biologist Kaye Lang, returns home to the U.S. to learn that her theory on human retroviruses has been verified with the discovery of SHEVA, a virus that has slept in our DNA for millions of years and is now waking up. How are these seemingly disparate events connected? Kaye Lang and her colleagues must race against a genetic time bomb to find out.

Darwin's Radio pulses with intelligent speculation, international adventure, and political intrigue as it explores timeless human themes. George Guidall's masterful performance heightens the excitement and keeps you enthralled until the final fascinating word.
  Carl.S | Apr 5, 2015 |
It's a rare book that I can't finish, but this is one of them. I can look past outdated science if what emerges follows from the principles set forth, but that doesn't happen here. The premise is interesting, but the result is goofy at best.
What I can't be bothered with is bad narrative. This book is populated by boring characters running through an uninteresting plot, ending with a flat honk of a climax. Halfway through, I couldn't take it any longer and loaded the Wikipedia summary to see if it got better. It didn't. The page for the sequel made me wince.

This is not one of Mr. Bear's better works, nor is it best of breed for its conceit. You're better off looking into other titles than finding a copy of this one. ( )
  Bieeanda | Dec 22, 2014 |
As warned by a friend, the ideas here are pretty fascinating -- the book might be fifteen years behind in terms of science, but there's nothing inherently ridiculous about the idea based on the scientific knowledge of the time -- but the actual narrative is pretty deadly boring. Some of the writing is just... why would you let that slip past, editor? Hard SF isn't just about the cool ideas: there has to be some element of execution there as well, or there's no point in writing it as a novel -- there'd be a non-fiction audience for speculation about the future too, undoubtedly.

It's pretty unfortunate, since Bear did the work here in setting up the world, figuring out the details, making A lead to B without a gap in logic. Unfortunately, the prose is flat, most of the characters likewise, and isn't there a song with lyrics that go I don't care a lot? Because it's in my head right now. ( )
1 vote shanaqui | Nov 23, 2014 |

Greg Bearprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Guidall, GeorgeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Romero,Pedro JorgeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rosvall, MattiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For My Mother, Wilma Merriman Bear 1915-1997
The flat afternoon sky spread over the black and gray mountains like a stage backdrop, the color of a dog's pale crazy eye.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0345435249, Mass Market Paperback)

All the best thrillers contain the solution to a mystery, and the mystery in this intellectually sparkling scientific thriller is more crucial and stranger than most. Why are people turning against their neighbors and their newborn children? And what is causing an epidemic of still births? A disgraced paleontologist and a genetic engineer both come across evidence of cover-ups in which the government is clearly up to no good. But no one knows what's really going on, and the government is covering up because that is what, in thrillers as in life, governments do. And what has any of this to do with the discovery of a Neanderthal family whose mummified faces show signs of a strange peeling?

Greg Bear has spent much of his recent career evoking awe in the deep reaches of space, but he made his name with Blood Music, a novel of nanotechnology that crackled with intelligence. His new book is a workout for the mind and a stunning read; human malignancy has its role in his thriller plot, but its real villain, as well as its last best hope, is the endless ingenious cruelty of the natural world and evolution. --Roz Kaveney, Amazon.co.uk

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:04 -0400)

When a virus that has slept in our DNA for millions of years wakes up, will the human race survive?

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,753,561 books! | Top bar: Always visible