Blood-Kissed Sky: A Darkness Before Dawn…

Blood-Kissed Sky: A Darkness Before Dawn Novel (edition 2012)

by J. A. London

Member:STACYatUFI
Title:Blood-Kissed Sky: A Darkness Before Dawn Novel
Authors:J. A. London
Info:HarperTeen (2012), Paperback, 368 pages

Blood-Kissed Sky by J. A. London

What. The. Fuck.

All the pages are out of order and it's completely unreadable. What is this fuckery? HaperTEEN get it together!!
  PrettyDeadly | Mar 31, 2013 |
BLOOD-KISSED SKY starts up shortly after the cliffhanger ending of book 1. I love both the main character Dawn and her love interest Victor. I was just as shocked as Dawn was when she woke up and was still human after the ending of DARKNESS BEFORE DAWN.

We get to visit another city and explore life outside Denver. Some of our favorite supporting characters are along for the ride and we get to know a little more about all of them. The romance is a tad bit on the sidelines as Victor tries to protect Dawn and pushes her away but you can still tell with every scene they are in together that the spark isn't going anywhere.

There was tons of action and drama throughout and the world continues to get better and better. The biggest downfall for BLOOD-KISSED SKY? It ended to soon!! The ending revealed some astonishing stuff (which makes a lot of little things make a whole lot of sense), I love that this series leaves me guessing at every turn. I continue to be a fan and I'm going to be picking up book 3 AFTER DAYBREAK when it hits the shelf's June 2013. ( )
  STACYatUFI | Jan 15, 2013 |
Blood-Kissed Sky was a suspenseful follow-up to the amazing Darkness Before Dawn. I was on the edge of my seat for the entire novel, and London threw many surprises at me. Both Dawn and the secondary characters grew throughout the course of the story, and I got to learn a lot more about each of them. While some characters are more likable than others, they are all realistic and multi-faceted. The continued world-building was also fantastic. London did an amazing job furthering this intriguing story.

In case you're wondering why this book got an A- instead of an A or A+, it's because the formatting is off. I bought one of the first copies at Barnes and Noble (they had them out a bit early here), and pages 186-220 were out of order. That made it extremely hard to read that part of the novel. If you want to buy a paperback copy of this work, I recommend checking to make sure those pages are in order before your purchase. I don't know how the Kindle and Nook editions are, but if anyone ends up ordering an e-book of this and wants to let me know, that'd be fantastic. The pages are numbered, at least, so I was able to piece it together, but it was inconvenient.

Now onto the good stuff... Dawn grew a lot as a character in this installment. She's learning to stand on her own against anything the world (or the vampires) may throw at her. She really has become an extremely strong and admirable character. I enjoyed reading from her perspective, and I like the changes she's making. We learn a lot of interesting stuff about her in this book as well, and I can't wait to see what these how these ideas develop. Michael irritated me at the very beginning, but by the end, he grew on me. Teagan really got on my nerves, and I've decided I just really don't like her. There's always one, you know? She's it for this book. I liked getting to spend more time with Faith and Richard, and I enjoyed learning more about them. I would have liked more Victor, but the more I get to know about him, the more uncertain I become regarding whether he is, in fact, a good guy or a bad guy.

The plot was intense and action-packed. Also, London kept me guessing the entire time. I figured a few things out right away, but not everything... just enough that I felt like I knew what was going on. Basically, I was lulled into a false sense of security and then London threw some shocking bit of info at me. This was one of those books that I couldn't put down, and I was up most of the night reading it. It was worth it, though. The ending was a cliffhanger, but at least we get to read the first chapter of the next installment at the end. That teaser made the cliffhanger a little easier to deal with. I can't wait for the third book in this series.

Overall, I'd recommend this novel to anyone who loves dystopian and/or vampire novels. It's a bit dark and gritty, but the characters are tough and intriguing. The plot will keep you guessing, and the suspense will keep you hooked. If you haven't read this series yet, I highly recommend it. ( )
  AmberFIB | Jan 8, 2013 |

Refusing to submit to Victor's half-brother, Sin, who threatens to destroy the city if she will not become his follower, Dawn escapes to Los Angeles to investigate a rabies-like disease that is infecting both vampires and humans.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,329,396 books! | Top bar: Always visible