Ratburger by David Walliams

Info:Harper Collins Ome (2012), Paperback, 272 pages
Rating:***
Tags:humour, families, pets, poverty

Ratburger by David Walliams

Animal Fiction (1) Available (1) awesomeness (1) British (1) British humor (2) bullies (1) burger (1) children (1) children's fiction (1) comedy (3) currently-reading (1) disabilities (1) family (3) fiction (3) food (2) fun (1) funny (3) humor (8) junior (1) MG (1) novel (2) pets (1) poverty (3) rat (1) rats (1) Red (1) school (1) schools (1) UK (1) unread (1)

English (5)  Spanish (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (7)
Although I didn't enjoy the humour, I'm certain that it will appeal to some students. Zoe ends up with a pet rat that her stepmother will not let her keep. When she brings it to school and Armitage, the rat, gets discovered, Zoe is suspended. When she arrives home, the man who operates a burger food truck near her school is in her bedroom masquerading as a pest control man. Zoe discovers that he grinds up rats to make the patties and she is determined to save Armitage from such a gruesome death.
Students for sure will have difficulty with the many British terms that pop up in the book such as: fags, bop, cardigan, tarmac, bunking off, etc. but other than that it's an easy read. A word of warning - Zoe's dad has lost his job and spends all of his time in the pub. She is neglected and verbally abused by the stepmother so it isn't the happy story that it appears to be by the cover.
People who enjoyed Roald Dahl's Matilda will enjoy this book. ( )
  JRlibrary | Sep 7, 2014 |
This is a hilarious, funny ,awesome book That Has A Girl Called Zoe and has Extremely Fat stepmother call Sheila and a demon rat eating man with no EYES !!!!!!! I Would Recommend this book to children who are aged 8-13.Make Sure You Read This Book Today :):):) !!!!!!! ( )
  Rm10 | May 19, 2014 |
After watching Mr Stink at Christmas we started this book. I did enjoy it, but there are quite a lot of similarities between the two stories. It was funny and scary in parts, I think Walliams is trying to be the new Roald Dahl which is a good aim, but he has a way to go yet. ( )
  EmmaBTate | Apr 10, 2013 |
Great funny UK fiction - fantastic author for children who love Andy Stanton (Mr Gum series), Philip Ardagh (Th eGrunts etc) and Roald Dahl! ( )
  alidevnz | Apr 1, 2013 |
This review first appeared on The Book Zone(For Boys) blog

As I confessed in my review of Gangsta Granny, I was something of a latecomer to the books of David Walliams, but since then I have read all three of the titles that preceded it. Gangsta Granny was definitely my favourite of the four, and when comparing in order of their release it is easy to see how David Walliams is developing as a writer. Ratburger is no exception, with the author's writing continuing to develop, and there is now no doubt in my mind that his books will eventually become recognised as classics, and that in the future we will be talking about his work in the same breath as Roald Dahl.

Ratburger differs from David Walliams' previous books in one very obvious way - none of those books had a stand out villain. We all know that kids (and most adults) love a really nasty villain, and now it is as if the author is rewarding his readers for their patient wait. Burt (yes, not a particularly dastardly evil name, but this is a David Walliams book) is as nasty as any of the classic villains from the annals of children's literature. I don't want to ruin things by telling you too much about him - as it says on the back: "...there's a clue in the title of the book...". And Burt isn't the only villain of the piece - there is also a wicked stepmother and a thuggish school bully to add to the misery of main character Zoe's life.

As with his previous books, Walliams continues to show his mastery of both character and pathos. Just like Dahl, the lives he creates for his main characters are generally unhappy, although not to the point where they wallow in their misery. Zoe has pretty much accepted that her life is not going to improve and so she makes the most of the few nice things that come her way. This means that his young readers are sympathising with the protagonist from the get go, finding it easy to imagine themselves in a similar situation, something I remember doing when I read Charlie and the Chocolate Factory or The BFG when I was a child.

If you read reviews of David's books you will very quickly get the impression that he is single-handedly turning a generation of under 10s into book lovers. Someone give this man a medal! Ratburger is a must-buy book for any child of 8 or older, and even though it has some rather disgusting moments, slightly younger children will still love it when read as a bedtime story. Don't be squeamish parents - kids love gruesome! I now feel the need to buy this book for every child of this age that I know, but sadly I can't afford to. However, my godson's younger brother, who has yet to become an avid reader like his older brothers, will be the lucky recipient of the audio book (which I so want for myself). I heard David Walliams reading a passage on The One Show just after I had finished reading the book, and the voices he gave his characters made me want to read it all over again. ( )
  book_zone | Apr 1, 2013 |

The fifth screamingly funny novel from David Walliams, number one bestseller and fastest growing children's author in the country. Hot on the heels of bestselling Gangsta Granny comes another hilarious, action-packed and touching novel - the story of a little girl called Zoe. Things are not looking good for Zoe. Her stepmother Sheila is so lazy she gets Zoe to pick her nose for her. The school bully Tina Trotts makes her life a misery - mainly by flobbing on her head. And now the evil Burt from Burt's Burgers is after her pet rat! And guess what he wants to do with it? The clue is in the title...From the author that is being called 'a new Roald Dahl', Ratburger is not to be missed!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:03:38 -0400)

This is the fifth hilarious and touching novel from David Walliams: number one bestseller and fastest growing children's author in the country.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,031,413 books! | Top bar: Always visible