Love's Reckoning: A Novel (The Ballantyne…

Love's Reckoning: A Novel (The Ballantyne Legacy) (edition 2012)

by Laura Frantz

Member:gincam
Title:Love's Reckoning: A Novel (The Ballantyne Legacy)
Authors:Laura Frantz
Info:Revell (2012), Paperback, 432 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:hearts endure, faith abides, the truth of The Word is timeless

Love's Reckoning: A Novel (The Ballantyne Legacy) (Volume 1) by Laura Frantz

Persuasion by Jane Austen (Anonymous user)
    Emily's Quest by L. M. Montgomery (Anonymous user)

When Silas Ballantyne shows up on her family's doorstep, Eden is immediately intrigued by her father's young apprentice. He's a kind, god-fearing man and so completely out of place next to her father's angry, stern personality. When Eden's father tries to persuade Silas to marry his daughter Elspeth, Eden wonders if she will ever find happiness of her own.

I have loved all of Laura Frantz's books and I was anxious for her new Ballantyne series. And while I liked the book, I didn't love it and it won't become my favorite. I don't know how you can follow Courting Morrow Little or The Colonel's Lady because the bar was set so high with those books and those wonderful heroines.

Eden isn't as strong a character as Morrow or Roxanne, but she is sweet and kind with a strong desire to help others. However, growing up as she did in a home without faith or a belief in God and with an overbearing father and a jealous sister, it was easy to see why she was more meek. Even so, I found myself frustrated with Eden's actions at times and I wanted her to show more backbone than she did. I truly hated her father and her sister who are two of the most odious characters I've ever read.

All of Laura's books have vivid descriptions and are rich in historical detail and while I missed her Kentucky setting, I enjoyed learning about 18th century Pennsylvania and the art of blacksmithing. In Love's Reckoning, Laura also tackles the sober details of assault and unwed pregnancy, but it is all handled well. Eden and Silas are characters you do come care about and cheer for as the progress along their rocky path toward love.

The teaser for the second book intrigued me as to what might happen next and I am curious to finish the Ballantyne series.

Available September 2012 at your favorite bookseller from Revell, a division of Baker Publishing Group. ( )
  2kidsandtired | Aug 2, 2016 |

2kidsandtired | Aug 2, 2016 |
This book cost me almost a whole night's sleep! *shakes fist*

(Mild spoiler)

3.5 stars. Much more well-written than your average Christian historical romance, though the plot was more. . . drawn out than I perhaps would have preferred. Once a hero and heroine have professed their love for each other, it's much more comfortable if the author lets them get married ASAP, rather than making them endure 8 years (and 200 pages) of heartache and separation before a final reconciliation.

Also, Scottish heroes FTW.
  TheEditrix | Jan 13, 2016 |
A book from exceptional author Laura Frantz is always a very special gift to readers. Her first three books were already treasured reads, each with a permanent place on my keeper shelf. Her latest work, "Love's Reckoning", is equally treasured, and now sits proudly beside "The Frontiersman's Daughter", "Courting Morrow Little", and "The Colonel's Daughter". "Love's Reckoning" is Book One in the "Ballantyne Legacy Series", and in vividly touching detail, it tells the love story of Silas Ballantyne and Eden Lee. In the year of 1784, Silas Ballantyne has traveled far from his native Scotland, where his family was tragically lost. Seeking a new life in America, his craftsman's skill in blacksmithing earns him his keep, and he hopes to gain status as a master blacksmith. With only a short time left to complete his apprenticeship, Silas accepts a position in York County, Pennsylvania with master blacksmith Liege Lee. Unbeknownst to Silas, the Lee household is beset with lies and troubles. Prone to dark moods made worse by his drinking, Liege is a hard taskmaster both in his home and in his forge. He sees Silas not only as a boon to his business, but also as a future son-in-law for one of his two daughters. Elspeth, the oldest, is a calculating blonde beauty with a clever mind and a cold heart. Strong-willed and attention-seeking, Elspeth has borne a child out of wedlock, a secret the Lee family jealously guards. Liege and Elspeth's mother let the world believe that the baby, Jon, is their own child. Lovely and sweet, with a cascade of red-hued curls, younger daughter Eden is gentle and nurturing by nature. Bearing her father's tirades, her mother's bouts of sadness, and the cruel resentment of her own sister, what Eden desires most of all is the freedom to live her faith, to attend church, and to read the Bible. Her father was displaced from the Quaker order for his inappropriate behavior. Never a true man of faith, he no longer observes religious customs. Bravely seeking out her own new life, Eden awaits word on whether she will be accepted for employment in a Philadelphia foundling home. When Silas Ballantyne comes to work for her father, Eden's life is forever changed. His quiet strength, kindness, intelligence, and his devout faith make him unlike any other man Eden has met. Elspeth sets her cap for the handsome Scot, and Eden loses her heart to him, but Silas has no desire to marry. His one goal has always been to become a master blacksmith and head West. However, a certain tender-hearted girl with titian hair invades his thoughts, and soon his own heart longs for more than a life of ceaseless hard work. When Silas learns of Eden's thirst for The Word, he leaves her notes of Scripture, and eventually, when they are able to steal moments away in a dimly-lit stairwell, he reads the Bible to her, both in his Scots-burred English, and in his native Gaelic. These precious moments are so beautifully written that I could hear his low burred tone as he gently introduced her to the written word of the Lord, and I could feel her tremulous emotions as she thrilled to the promise the words held. Eden and Silas endure much, including a long separation, before love's reckoning has its way. Once they face each other again, much has changed. Will the pledge of enduring love given so long ago reunite two yearning hearts? Will the promise of abiding faith be fulfilled? The writing of Laura Frantz is exquisitely-detailed, beautifully-etched, and rich in history. The story lines are deeply-drawn and the characters are fully-fleshed. Perhaps the most compelling skill of this awesome author is her ability to capture and present the immediacy of her characters, allowing us to anticipate their emotions and participate in their thoughts. Highly recommended--not just for lovers of inspirational historical romance--but for anyone who seeks out extraordinary storytelling.

Review Copy Gratis Revell Books ( )
  gincam | Dec 20, 2012 |
This review originally appeared on the Historical Novel Society website. Review copy received from publisher via HNS.

Eden Lee’s tyrannical father is determined that his new apprentice, Silas Ballantyne, will marry one of his daughters. The family assumes it will be bold, beautiful Elspeth, whose illegitimate child is being passed off as her mother’s son. Timid, quiet Eden deplores the deception but does not want to marry; she has other plans, and soon learns that Silas too has ambitions beyond a blacksmith’s trade.

Love’s Reckoning is the first of a series tracing the Ballantyne legacy down through several generations, and as such has quite a few storylines to set up. This is well done, with plenty of twists and threads to lead into future novels. The late 1700s Pennsylvania setting is convincingly rendered, although I personally prefer that the author not rely on “’twas,” “mayhap,” and other such ornamental flourishes to remind the reader that we are not in modern times.

Occasional writing quirks could have been picked up at the editing stage. The words “nearly” and “winced” are overused, generally in combination, and some phrases struck me as odd (“with a flurry of her hand”). There are some misplaced modifiers, and I struggled a little with the timeline, which at moments seems vaguely defined.

My biggest issue with this story, however, is that the good characters are too overwhelmingly wholesome, while the bad characters are unremittingly unpleasant. I would have liked to see more nuances, especially in the case of Elspeth, who would benefit from some vulnerability.

The Christian elements are handled with subtlety and grace, making this novel a good candidate to succeed with a secular readership. Love’s Reckoning has greater depth than a straightforward romance, and promises well for an interesting series. ( )
  JaneSteen | Nov 10, 2012 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0800720415, Paperback)

On a bitter December day in 1785, Silas Ballantyne arrives at the door of master blacksmith Liege Lee in York, Pennsylvania. Just months from becoming a master blacksmith himself, Silas is determined to finish his apprenticeship and move west. But Liege soon discovers that Silas is a prodigious worker and craftsman and endeavors to keep him in York. Silas becomes interested in both of Liege's daughters, the gentle and faith-filled Eden and the clever and high-spirited Elspeth. When he chooses one, will the other's jealousy destroy their love?

In this sweeping family saga set in western Pennsylvania, one man's choices in love and work, in friends and enemies, set the stage for generations to come. Love's Reckoning is the first entry in The Ballantyne Legacy, a rich, multi-layered historical quartet from talented writer Laura Frantz, beginning in the late 1700s and following the Ballantyne family through the end of the Civil War.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:15 -0400)

"On a bitter December day in 1785, Silas Ballantyne arrives at the door of master blacksmith Liege Lee in York, Pennsylvania. Silas is determined to finish his apprenticeship and move west. But because he is a fast worker and superb craftsman, Liege endeavors to keep him in Lancaster by appealing to an old tradition: the apprentice shall marry one of his master's beautiful daughters. Eden is as gentle and fresh as Elspeth is high-spirited and cunning. But are they truly who they appear to be? In a house laced with secrets, each sister seeks to secure her future. Which one will claim Silas's heart - and will he agree to Liege's arrangement?" -- Cover verso.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,182,952 books! | Top bar: Always visible