The Painted Girls: A Novel by Cathy Marie…

The Painted Girls: A Novel (edition 2013)

by Cathy Marie Buchanan

Title:The Painted Girls: A Novel
Authors:Cathy Marie Buchanan
Info:Riverhead (2013), Kindle Edition, 368 pages

The Painted Girls by Cathy Marie Buchanan

Sorry, but this just didn't work for me. I couldn't sympathize with the characters. It may be an example of an audio production not helping the story come to life. When you really hear the characters whining, or being flip or sarcastic I think it is harder than reading it. And they repeated themselves...a lot. There was an act of gratuitous violence against an animal that I did not care for either. Just a very unhappy book, which may well be historically accurate, but it doesn't work for me. I read to be entertained, and while a book doesn't have to be all rainbows and unicorns, I don't need to be upset by it, there is enough sadness in real life. ( )
  MaureenCean | Oct 4, 2015 |
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I recently saw Dega's Little Dancer sculpture at the National Gallery in Washington DC and the novel brought the piece to life for me. I realize it's a fictionalization of history, but I really felt like I knew the girl in the sculpture. ( )
  jdarling29 | Sep 25, 2015 |
This was a semi-true story of the girl from the sculpture made by Dugas called 'Little dancer aged fourteen'. I liked that it had historical significance and also introduced me to world of the ballet in the 1880's. The writng was good enough but what I most enjoyed was the relationship of the three sisters and the descriptions of the life of a dancer at that time. ( )
  janismack | Sep 20, 2015 |
Ms. Buchanan charmed me with her first book “The Day the Falls Stood Still” and she did not disappoint with this book. She researches her topics well and incorporates her historical facts into a fascinating story giving the reader a taste of the reality of the life of her characters in the Paris of 1878.

The Van Goethem sisters never lived in the lap of luxury but as long as their father was alive the family managed to keep the wolf from the door. When he dies and their mother sinks further and further into the welcoming oblivion of absinthe, the girls are forced to do whatever is necessary to keep their little family together. Marie joins the Paris opera where she can earn 17 francs a week. As Marie throws herself completely into her ballet Antoinette turns to the stage. But soon their meager earnings are still not enough and Antoinette meets rakish Emile Abadie, forcing her to decide between struggling through life or choosing more profitable, but less reputable, way of earning a living for young Parisian girls of the time. As Antoinette becomes embroiled in the seedier side of Paris Marie earns a little extra money by modeling for Edgar Degas, becoming the model of choice for his little ballerina statues.

The story is told by both Marie and Antoinette, their very different voices adding to the story rather than deterring from it. If, like me, you wonder about the story behind a picture or painting, this book will satisfy that curiosity. The only negative thing I can say about this book is that I am sorry Ms. Buchanan turned her talents from a Canadian story to take us on a trip to Paris.
  ChristineEllei | Jul 14, 2015 |
The author presents an interesting theory regarding Degas' aesthetic intentions - phrenology. Yet, I believe his work speaks for itself. Thus rendering Buchanan's premise highly implausible, however interesting. ( )
  BALE | Apr 11, 2015 |
The Painted Girls is a quick and cinematic read that is hard to put down, destined to be hotly debated book-club fodder across the country...Buchanan’s complete immersion in the time period and setting is obvious, and the reader is quickly present in the city, with its glamour, grit, hardships and peculiarities. An author’s note at the end of the book details exactly what is taken from historical record and what was created or embellished for the story.... It was a drag that this part of the narrative didn’t veer from the obvious, but it’s a small thing. For the overall story is a tremendous achievement, and the book is fast-paced leap around Paris at a unique time in its history.
The reader is completely absorbed in the struggle of Marie to rise above her circumstances. It has been said that the great engine of fiction is desire, the terrible urgent want of characters for what they do not have. This is vividly clear in the case of the van Goethem sisters, and that want makes for a strong, suspenseful narrative. The narrative drive is somewhat muted by the author’s prose style, however — her sentences have a tendency to carry just a smidgen too much detail. “Monsieur Degas’s lips press tight, and then his eyebrows pull together, the ends closest to his nose lifting up,” runs a characteristic sentence. Metaphors can also be laboured, as when the “harsh tang of fear” is compared to the “skin of a walnut.” The effect is sometimes of a clotted prose.....The question remains: can Buchanan’s characters defy that milieu and defy the laws of Zola? It is a question left in doubt until almost the last page of this convincing, heartfelt story.
Reminiscent of Tracy Chevalier’s novel Girl with a Pearl Earring, Cathy Marie Buchanan’s second novel tells the fascinating story of the young 19th-century Parisian ballerina who posed for Edgar Degas’ famous sculpture Little Dancer, Aged Fourteen. But while Chevalier’s novel (about the inspiration for the eponymous painting) is entirely imaginative, Buchanan’s meticulously researched book is based largely on historical record.
For Larry, always
Monsieur LeBlanc leans against the doorframe, his arms folded over a belly grown round on pork crackling.

A heart-rending, gripping novel inspired by the real life model for Degas's Little Dancer Aged 14.

It’s 1878, Belle Époque Paris.  Following the death of their overworked father, the three Van Goethem sisters find their lives upended.  What small pay their mother earns as a laundress disappears down the absinthe bottle, and without their father’s wages, eviction and destitution seem imminent.  With few options for work, fourteen-year-old Marie and her younger sister Charlotte are dispatched to the Paris Opéra, where for a scant 17 francs a week, the girls will be trained to enter the famous Ballet.  Older sister Antoinette, age seventeen, has already been dismissed from the Ballet on account of her sharp tongue, but finds employment—and the love of  the dangerous Émile Abadie—acting as an extra in a stage adaptation of Emile Zola’s Naturalist masterpiece L’Assommoir.

Marie throws herself into dance, counting on hard work and natural ability to raise her from the gutter, but the competition to become one of the famous étoiles, at whose feet flowers are thrown nightly, is fierce, and she is forced to turn elsewhere to supplement her meager wages.  Though ill at ease with her looks, she is soon enough modeling in the studio of Edgar Degas, where her image will forever be immortalized in his controversial sculpture, Little Dancer Aged 14.  Antoinette, meanwhile, descends lower and lower into Paris society, and must make the choice between a life of honest labor and the more profitable avenues open to a young woman of the Parisian demimonde—that is unless her love, unwavering even as Émile is linked to a brutal murder, derails her completely.

Set at a moment of profound artistic, cultural, and societal change, and inspired by the real life model for Degas’s Little Dancer Aged 14 and the era’s most notorious criminal trials, The Painted Girls is a tale of a family of remarkable sisters rendered uniquely vulnerable to the darker impulses of “civilized society.”

In belle epoque Paris, the Van Goethem sisters struggle for survival after the sudden death of their father, a situation that prompts young Marie's ballet training and her introduction to a genius painter.

Cathy Marie Buchanan is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Author Chat

Cathy Marie Buchanan chatted with LibraryThing members from Jul 12, 2010 to Jul 25, 2010. Read the chat.

254 wanted3 pay8 pay

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Painted Girls by Cathy Marie Buchanan was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,723,878 books! | Top bar: Always visible