To Sell Is Human: The Surprising Truth About…

To Sell Is Human: The Surprising Truth About Moving Others (edition 2013)

by Daniel H. Pink (Author)

Member:mcoster
Title:To Sell Is Human: The Surprising Truth About Moving Others
Authors:Daniel H. Pink (Author)
Info:Riverhead Books (2013), Edition: Reprint, 272 pages

To Sell Is Human: The Surprising Truth About Moving Others by Daniel H. Pink

Meh. Sub-Gladwell, post-facto, pseudo-wisdom. I don't read a lot of these kinds of books but our VP Sales recommended it. Some of it was semi-interesting, but a lot of it was nice anecdotes shoehorned into a creaky premise. ( )
  asxz | Mar 13, 2019 |
Lots of smoke. I got bored after listening to 20% of the audio book. It's not better than Drive. The author is overvalued ( )
  lucaconti | Jan 24, 2019 |
Could have made his points in 50 pages, agree with most of the approach he outlined ( )
  jimifenway | Mar 8, 2018 |
If selling is persuading others to give us resources for some benefit we want to give them, then we’re all salespeople, says Daniel Pink. Teachers ask students to give up time and energy to study their courses. Doctors ask us to give up freedom to eat what we choose or not take the meds. And writers ask readers to give up their precious time to read the story. But, for many of us, the whole idea of selling reeks of dishonesty, pride and self-interest. So how can we sell? How can we poor introverted writers sell the books we create? (How can artists sell paintings? How can…?)

Daniel Pink offers his own “surprising truth about moving others” in this eminently readable book. In the modern world, where anyone can read up the history of a car before buying, and purchasers often know more stats about the fridge than the salesman does, selling isn’t so much trying to pull the wool over someone’s eyes as trying to develop a relationship. The seller asks what the buyer wants and tries to match their needs to what can be offered. They attune their senses to the buyer. They support. And they serve.

So… can I serve by selling the books I write? In the second half of this book, the author offers very clear advice on different ways to pitch the results of our creative efforts. From the one-word pitch to whole paragraphs; from email headers to tweets. The advice is sound, simple, and informative – even if you don’t use his suggestions, he’s done a great job selling them and they’ll stay in your mind, informing how you later try to sell, influence, move or otherwise persuade your neighbor.
I enjoyed this book, and I think I really will make an effort to follow its advice.

Disclosure: The book was recommended by a member of our writers’ group, and a friend loaned me a copy. ( )
  SheilaDeeth | Oct 20, 2017 |
Excellent book on how the changes in technology and culture have affected marketing/sales techniques, and brings up thoughtful concepts about what it means to sell ourselves and our work in this modern era. Highly recommended not just for people in sales and entrepreneurs but also career seekers and artists as well. ( )
  KimBooSan | Sep 23, 2017 |

"From the bestselling author of Drive and A Whole New Mind comes an exploration of the power of selling, which each of us does every day--whether we know it or not. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, one in nine Americans works in sales. More than fifteen million people earn their keep by convincing someone else to make a purchase. But dig deeper and a startling truth emerges: Yes, one in nine Americans works in sales--but so do the other eight out of nine. Whether we're entrepreneurs persuading funders, employees pitching colleagues, or parents and teachers cajoling kids, we spend our days trying to move others. Today, like it or not, we're all in sales. Or as Daniel H. Pink puts it, everyone is in the "moving business." In this provocative book, Pink offers a fresh look at the art and science of selling. He shows that sales, whether pushing a product or peddling an idea, isn't what it used to be. Because of powerful economic changes, the glad-handing, truth-bending form of sales is a relic. In its place is a new approach to moving people that involves three very human qualities and four surprising skills. As he did in Drive and A Whole New Mind, Pink lays out the science for his counterintuitive insights, offers vivid examples and stories, and provides readers with tools to put the ideas into action. Smart yet accessible, bold yet well argued, this is the first book on sales for people who've never read a book about sales. It will change how you see your world and transform what you do at work, at school, and at home"--"In the tradition of his bestselling book Drive, a revolutionary look at the art of selling. This is a book about sales for people who don't know they're in sales"--… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,739,394 books! | Top bar: Always visible