If I should lose you by Natasha Lester

If I should lose you (edition 2012)

by Natasha Lester

Member:mccardey
Title:If I should lose you
Authors:Natasha Lester
Info:North Fremantle, W.A. : Fremantle Press, 2012.
Collections:kindle
Tags:Australian, fiction

If I should lose you by Natasha Lester

Recently added bykiwifortyniner, mccardey, adrateia

I find because I read a lot of books I am looking for something a bit different, that stands out either because it takes me into a different world that I know nothing about, or to a different period in history where I can learn a little of what life was like at that time. Ths book does the former. We become immersed in the world of organ donation from all perspectives - the staff working in that area, and the patients and families of the seriously ill waiting for an organ to be donated, and having to confront the wish that someone else would die so that their family member could receive the organ, and that they were sick enough at the time to receive it. And even then they may not necessarily be out of the woods as rejection can happen.
The main character in this story is Camille, a transplant coordinator, who is waiting for a liver transplant for her seriously ill daughter Addie while at the same time trying to care for her younger daughter, and deal with the strain that all of this puts on her marriage.
This book is told on two levels for Camile is also at this time trying to oversee an exhibition of her fathe'rs sculptures. As she read her mother's diaries in preparation for this she comes to learn a lot more about her mother and the two men in her life, her father and another man Jack who is still alive. Both of her parents, who were also artists, died when she was very young and in reading these diaries Camille must come to grips with the tragedy in her mother's life. Ths book deals with difficult questions and moral dilemmas and was well written and a good read. I shall now search out her earlier book. ( )
  kiwifortyniner | Apr 26, 2013 |
I’m torn about this one. A very wonderful story, beautifully written and such an interesting look into the world of organ donation. But I hated the main characters by the end (not the author’s fault we differ on opinions obviously) and the ending annoyed me, ever so slightly.

I quite enjoyed it overall, however, and I'd read this author again. ( )
  adrateia | Sep 20, 2012 |

MODERN & CONTEMPORARY FICTION (POST C 1945). AUSTRALIAN. Camille is a nurse specialising in supporting families through the difficult decision to donate the organs of their dying loved ones. Camille's mother is a gifted but uncompromising transplant surgeon determined to make it in a man's world until her own life falls apart. And Camille herself is a mother to Addie - five years old, critically ill and in desperate need of the very organs her mother and grandmother work with.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,308,080 books! | Top bar: Always visible