The Five Thousand Year Leap: 28 Great Ideas…

The Five Thousand Year Leap: 28 Great Ideas That Changed the World… (original 1981; edition 2009)

by W. Cleon Skousen (Author), Glenn Beck (Foreword)

Member:brewbooks
Title:The Five Thousand Year Leap: 28 Great Ideas That Changed the World (Revised 30 Year Anniversary Edition)
Authors:W. Cleon Skousen (Author)
Other authors:Glenn Beck (Foreword)
Info:American Documents (2009), Edition: 1st, 356 pages
Tags:religion, history, USA, sr

The 5000 Year Leap: A Miracle That Changed the World by W. Cleon Skousen (1981)

The book is a very fascinating and in-depth review of the constitution, the influences of the time that helped to shape the Founding Father's thoughts as they wrote it, and quotes from the Founding Fathers to clarify, confirm, and warn Americans of their belief in the importance of maintaining the basic principles of the Constitution. The author rides a very fine line of guiding Americans in their implied responsibilities with the constitution, warning of the dangers of our not remaining vigilant in protecting the rights established for us through the constitution. It is, as one review on Amazon pointed out, "an incredible book that should be read by all Americans." (S. Peek, Amazon.com) But I would take it one step further, and say that this is a book that should be read by anyone who believes in freedom, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness, and wishes to protect their own freedoms in the countries in which they live. It is also a book which I feel is important to re-read as often as necessary to keep these precepts fresh in our minds. I do not know if I agree with everything the author says, but as a whole, this book is brilliant and really hit home for me!

As we enter yet another election year, I feel that it is more important than ever for people to read (or re-read, as the case may be) this book and consider these principles and take a close look at who we are voting for. We need to take our duties seriously, if we wish to maintain our freedoms. An educated people is a happy people, and sadly as Americans we have let our political education slip, not studying our candidates and their policies before we elect them. I am not promoting one candidate or another, and neither does this book. That is what I love about it. The point is not "who is right, the Republicans or the Democrats?" The point is that we as a people need to be vigilant in protecting our rights to "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness!" ( )
  HeidiAngell | Jul 29, 2017 |
This book is a must-read for anyone who loves their country and wants to understand what is being done to it. Points out the 28 principles of freedom our Founding Fathers said must be understood, and how the adherence to theses beliefs is what brought about more progress than had been made in the previous 5,000 years. ( )
  jessicajames | Feb 19, 2016 |
This was great. It's a little scary, though, to see how far we've slipped as a nation when you become more aware of where we started. I was surprised to see how much of our freedom we've lost already. ( )
  KR_Patterson | Apr 28, 2015 |
Summary: 26 principle that were the basis for the creation of this country and absolutely essential in maintaining the kind of government the Lord had in mind when he inspired the founders. ( )
  6boysandme | Jul 16, 2013 |
God was part of the creation of this country get over it. If you can't then where in nature in any other animals world does one have the RIGHT to have dominion over the others of its kind? It took 5,000 years for men to realize that man does not have the RIGHT to rule over any other man. ( )
  cwflatt | Mar 10, 2012 |

The Five Thousand Year Leap: Twenty-Eight Great Ideas That Are Changing the World is a book that was published in 1981 by the anti-communist and conservative Mormon author Cleon Skousen. The book asserts that the United States prospered because it was established upon universal natural law principles passed down from Common Law and traditional Judeo-Christian morality, as many of the Founding Fathers were guided by the Bible among others, and consequently that the U.S. Constitution incorporates enlightened ideas.

(From Wikipedia)

"Discover the 28 Principles of Freedom our Founding Fathers said must be understood and perpetuated by every people who desire peace, prosperity, and freedom. Learn how adherence to these beliefs during the past 200 years has brought about more progress than was made in the previous 5000 years"--P. 4 of cover.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,645,830 books! | Top bar: Always visible