A Marked Man (Assassin/Shifter, #1) by…

A Marked Man (Assassin/Shifter, #1)

by Sandrine Gasq-Dion

This book was a disappointment. It started off with a gritty edge and an interesting premise. In the end it was all fluff. So predictable. ( )
  Penny01 | Feb 1, 2014 |
I didn't like the insta-love, the MCs were totally exchangable (tough ex-military and weak "boy" to protect), all in all very cliched. It felt like a real bad m-f romance, especially as the successful CEO (!) started pouting and behaving in general like a 13 year old girl with a bad crush on Macho Man. What bugged me throughout the whole book was, that the author left out the comma before the name in the direct speech (e.g. "I don't like you, Tony." became: "I don't like you Tony" - irritating. I am not a native speaker and since it has been like this throughout the whole book I started doubting myself (and all the other authors who use commata...), had to google it to be able to sleep :-) ( )
  Tam2603 | Apr 18, 2013 |
The first in the Assassin/Shifter series, you can see the author is planning the structure of the entire story. Introducing Mateo, the hired assassin working for a semi-legal US government special unit, the author tried to make him “evil” but sincerely he comes through more like a man in need of “comfort” love. Mateo is alone, and he clings to everyone showing him a little love, it could be his lesbian best friend Naomi, or his closeted superior officer, Derek. Mateo claims to like his life on the run, without attachments, but he is the first to admit he is falling for Riley, the young CEO he is supposed to kill.

Lucky Riley, Mateo is always checking his orders, and when the target is an apparently innocent man, Mateo decides not to go through with it. And indeed they were set up, and they ended with Mateo being the guardian angel to Riley.

Riley is young and naïve in life like he is clever in his job as CEO of an electronics firm working for the government. Deeply in the closet, he is awakened to his desires from the close proximity with Mateo, and he got attacked to him like he would with a security blanket. Mateo represents his safe harbor, and on his side, Mateo is willing to play the role.

Even if the author tried to make this an high % adrenaline story, to me it was more romantic and sweet than else. And the happily ever after was obviously in the future of not only Mateo and Riley, but also of all the other men around them.

elisa.rolle | Jan 4, 2013 |

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,781,506 books! | Top bar: Always visible