The Diamond Age by Neal Stephenson

The Diamond Age (1995)

by Neal Stephenson

Everyone in Silico by Jim Munroe (sbuehrle)
    Blood Music by Greg Bear (psybre)
    Smart Alec by Kage Baker (bertilak)
    bertilak: Two narratives about cyber-tutors.
    Stand on Zanzibar by John Brunner (LamontCranston)
    The Alchemy of Stone by Ekaterina Sedia (majkia)
    majkia: Both books take place in the midst of social upheaval and both portray worlds far from perfect. The class divisions are highlighted and one sees how so many individuals' lives can easily be diminished in a Victorian sort of steampunk culture.
    Island by Aldous Huxley (urza)
    urza: One is utopistic novel, other science fiction full of nanotechnology. Yet, both books left similar feelings in me. The story in both takes place in beautifuly described colorful world. Both deal with human society and both are kind of "brighter side of the life".
    Starswarm by Jerry Pournelle (infiniteletters)
    The Magicians and Mrs. Quent by Galen Beckett (feeling.is.first)
    The Somnambulist by Jonathan Barnes (suzanney)
    The Neverending Story by Michael Ende (infiniteletters)
    infiniteletters: Its fantasy counterpart

English (144)  French (2)  Finnish (1)  German (1)  Italian (1)  Hungarian (1)  Romanian (1)  All languages (151)
Loved the first half, in which the plot was wild but comprehensible. Enjoyed the second half, but I was disappointed that Stephenson ditched many of the characters and most of the story for a dissertation on [b:artificial intelligence|27543|Artificial Intelligence A Modern Approach (2nd Edition)|Stuart J. Russell|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1167881696s/27543.jpg|1362], thought as virus, programming, and other musings. It was interesting, at least the part I could follow, but the story got lost. It had some HUGE plot holes at the end. Still, quite a ride. ( )
  JanetNoRules | Sep 17, 2018 |
This is a coming-of-age novel set in near distant dystopian-like future. The main story revolves around four-year-old Nell who gets ahold of an illegal copy of a primer book which leads her on a journey of Princess Nell and Harv locked away in the dark castle The primer is intended to steer the reader toward the more interesting life as dictated by the lord of the realm. There by priming them to be an effective member of society. In short the primer teaches the reader how to grow and develop in the world around them.
On top of the story there are two other stories that are streamlining the main storyline. The book jumps back and forth between the three stories. This makes it a little difficult to follow considering the unfamiliar, futuristic devices they speak of in the book and the language that is used by the author. The beginning is very hard to catch on to and figure out what is going on in all three stories.
Though I feel the concept of this book is very interesting in essence I have to say that it is just not for me and not the type of book that I would enjoy. However I do know that people who like to read Sci-fi, dystopian, or cyberpunk type books would definitely be interested in this one. ( )
  TheReadingMermaid | May 30, 2018 |
This was my first Neal Stephenson book. I had no idea what to expect and I liked it enough that over the last few years I have read all of Stephenson's novels. This is still among the top though along with Snowcrash. ( )
  EltonG | Apr 4, 2018 |
Also Reamde (2012) and Seveneves (2016)
  suecrawford | Dec 11, 2017 |
Neal Stephenson is the best science fiction writer currently living. There is no contest. ( )
  LongTrang117 | Oct 6, 2017 |

Stephenson, Nealprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Jensen, BruceCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wiltsie, JenniferNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
By nature, men are nearly alike;
by practice, they get to be wide apart.

- Confucius
The bells of St. Mark's were ringing changes up on the mountain when Bud skated over to the mod parlor to upgrade his skull gun.
The difference between ignorant and educated people is that the latter know more facts. But that has nothing to do with whether they are stupid or intelligent. The difference between stupid and intelligent people--and this is true whether or not they are well-educated--is that intelligent people can handle subtlety. They are not baffled by ambiguous or even contradictory situations--in fact, they expect them and are apt to become suspicious when things seem overly straightforward.
It is upon moral qualities that a society is ultimately founded. All the prosperity and technological sophistication in the world is of no use without that foundation.

The story of an engineer who creates a device to raise a girl capable of thinking for herself reveals what happens when a young girl of the poor underclass obtains the device.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 014027037X, 0241953197

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,980,069 books! | Top bar: Always visible