The Diamond Age by Neal. Stephenson

The Diamond Age (original 1995; edition 1995)

by Neal. Stephenson

Info:BANTAM. (1995), Paperback, 455 pages
Collections:Your library, Sc-Fi
Rating:*****
Tags:Sci-Fi, Nanotechnology

The Diamond Age: Or, a Young Lady's Illustrated Primer by Neal Stephenson (1995)

American (30) audiobook (28) China (37) cyberpunk (423) dystopia (34) ebook (46) education (29) fantasy (74) fiction (742) future (33) Hugo Award (36) hugo winner (35) nanotechnology (254) Neal Stephenson (32) neo-victorian (25) novel (97) own (45) owned (26) paperback (30) postcyberpunk (37) read (133) science fiction (1,468) sf (293) sff (76) speculative fiction (57) steampunk (169) Stephenson (26) to-read (110) unread (45) Victorian (34)
    Blood Music by Greg Bear (psybre)
    Everyone in Silico by Jim Munroe (sbuehrle)
    Smart Alec by Kage Baker (bertilak)
    bertilak: Two narratives about cyber-tutors.
    Starswarm by Jerry Pournelle (infiniteletters)
    The Alchemy of Stone by Ekaterina Sedia (majkia)
    majkia: Both books take place in the midst of social upheaval and both portray worlds far from perfect. The class divisions are highlighted and one sees how so many individuals' lives can easily be diminished in a Victorian sort of steampunk culture.
    Island by Aldous Huxley (urza)
    urza: One is utopistic novel, other science fiction full of nanotechnology. Yet, both books left similar feelings in me. The story in both takes place in beautifuly described colorful world. Both deal with human society and both are kind of "brighter side of the life".
    The Magicians and Mrs. Quent by Galen Beckett (feeling.is.first)
    The Somnambulist by Jonathan Barnes (suzanney)
    The Neverending Story by Michael Ende (infiniteletters)
    infiniteletters: Its fantasy counterpart

English (118)  French (2)  Finnish (1)  German (1)  Italian (1)  Hungarian (1)  Romanian (1)  All languages (125)
We start with a lost waif, but soon we are talking about great cosmic causes and the interweaving of Nanotech with the binary information theory. Good characters and Stephenson's brisk pace make for a good read. ( )
  DinadansFriend | Feb 20, 2014 |
Terribly disappointing.

Starts off very exciting, with sweet descriptions of nanotech and weapons. Then it just goes to hell.

Bad, bland characters. No plot. About 15 pages of action (3 scenes) in 500.

Decent philosophical dialogue about education and the 20th century. But terrible dialogue everywhere else.

Snowcrash was much, much better. ( )
  Algybama | Jan 31, 2014 |
Actually a 3.5.

If you're looking for a vividly crafted world, this is the story for you. If you're looking for characters you can connect with, that will stay with you for a long time, this isn't that read. For me, the world-building makes it worthwhile. It's fantastic & possibly that is part of the reason the characters felt rather flat. Stephenson is truly gifted at giving sense of place & surroundings. It was it's own character, for me & I truly didn't want to leave.

There are quite a few parts that feel slow & drag a bit but again, I think it's the characters & a feeling that you're just putting in time with them to get through it all. The ending felt a bit abrupt & left me wanting an epilogue. I suppose I just wasn't quite ready to leave this world behind. I think that's pretty good, all things considered. ( )
  anissaannalise | Jan 1, 2014 |
This is a book that made you think but it reminded me a bit of an ice cream sandwich. The middle was great, but the beginning and the end weren't as good.

At the beginning, I felt thrown into a foreign world where nothing made sense and I needed further education. I'm sure that this was the intention of Stephenson, but I didn't really like it. I also felt that a lot of things weren't fully explained, like the societal structure or the difference between a phyle, a tribe, and a clave, and even geography and transportation.

I got into the swing of things in the middle and then started getting lost again with the Drummers and the Fists.

And then the ending. So much was left hanging. ( )
  moose42 | Dec 13, 2013 |
You haven't read this book? Why NOT?!?! Other than "Snow Crash" there's nothing better. You should have this book.

Truthfully, after revisiting it, recently, I suspect that I'd not recommend it as much as I used to. I miss the tight editing that Snow Crash clearly received, and that the Baroque Cycle DESPERATELY needs. It's still good, I'd still recommend it, but there are signs of things to come. ( )
  Lyndatrue | Nov 29, 2013 |

Neal Stephensonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Jensen, BruceCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wiltsie, JenniferNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
By nature, men are nearly alike; by practice, they get to be wide apart. - Confucius
The bells of St. Mark's were ringing changes up on the mountain when Bud skated over to the mod parlor to upgrade his skull gun.
The difference between ignorant and educated people is that the latter know more facts. But that has nothing to do with whether they are stupid or intelligent. The difference between stupid and intelligent people--and this is true whether or not they are well-educated--is that intelligent people can handle subtlety. They are not baffled by ambiguous or even contradictory situations--in fact, they expect them and are apt to become suspicious when things seem overly straightforward.
It is upon moral qualities that a society is ultimately founded. All the prosperity and technological sophistication in the world is of no use without that foundation.

The story of an engineer who creates a device to raise a girl capable of thinking for herself reveals what happens when a young girl of the poor underclass obtains the device.

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Two editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 014027037X, 0241953197

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,455,487 books! | Top bar: Always visible