The Diamond Age by Neal. Stephenson

The Diamond Age (original 1995; edition 1995)

by Neal. Stephenson

Member:Robert3167
Title:The Diamond Age
Authors:Neal. Stephenson
Info:BANTAM. (1995), Paperback, 455 pages
Collections:Your library, Sc-Fi
Rating:*****
Tags:Sci-Fi, Nanotechnology

The Diamond Age by Neal Stephenson (1995)

Blood Music by Greg Bear (psybre)
    Everyone in Silico by Jim Munroe (sbuehrle)
    Smart Alec by Kage Baker (bertilak)
    bertilak: Two narratives about cyber-tutors.
    Starswarm by Jerry Pournelle (infiniteletters)
    The Alchemy of Stone by Ekaterina Sedia (majkia)
    majkia: Both books take place in the midst of social upheaval and both portray worlds far from perfect. The class divisions are highlighted and one sees how so many individuals' lives can easily be diminished in a Victorian sort of steampunk culture.
    Island by Aldous Huxley (urza)
    urza: One is utopistic novel, other science fiction full of nanotechnology. Yet, both books left similar feelings in me. The story in both takes place in beautifuly described colorful world. Both deal with human society and both are kind of "brighter side of the life".
    The Magicians and Mrs. Quent by Galen Beckett (feeling.is.first)
    The Somnambulist by Jonathan Barnes (suzanney)
    The Neverending Story by Michael Ende (infiniteletters)
    infiniteletters: Its fantasy counterpart

English (132)  French (2)  Finnish (1)  German (1)  Italian (1)  Hungarian (1)  Romanian (1)  All languages (139)
Imagination is alive and well, and Stephenson seems to be it's current literary keeper. Amazing stuff. ( )
  chriszodrow | Aug 2, 2015 |
Teria dado 5 estrelas a este livro, não fosse o final que podia ter dado um pouco mais de luz sobre o futuro e as suas possibilidades, mas também o futuro é totalmente incerto por isso até se enquadra um final assim.
Este livro mais uma vez apresenta conceitos futuristas altamente inovadores como um livro que se adapta a quem o começou a ler criando cenários, histórias e imagens consoante a vivência da criança, tornando a leitura um vício (dá gosto imaginar que isto possa ser verdade num mundo completamente nanotécnológico). Apresenta também um Matter Compiler que é uma pequena máquina que pode através dos Nanos transformar e criar praticamente tudo, apresentando uma artificialidade brutal a que nos arriscamos um dia a entrar para não mais sair.
Existe porém um contraste muito interessante com as comunidades que apesar de usarem a tecnologia a seu proveito mantêm as crenças milenares, apresentando uma China cheia de referências a Confúcio.
A personagem principal é a Nell, uma criança muito maltratada psicologicamente que apesar da violência sofrida consegue através dum fantástico livro não criado para ela, encontrar um lugar num mundo cheio de conflitualidade latente. Vale muito a pena ler. ( )
  bruc79 | Jul 31, 2015 |
A more mature novel than the author's previous Snowcrash, yet if anything more incoherent, and infinitely less entertaining. A little editing would not have gone amiss. I found the pacing and continuity poor, and found myself skipping whole chapters, and sometimes having to go back over the parts that impacted the plot. If there was a plot. Somehow even that didn't lead to me understand what the fuck was going on or what were the supposed "themes" of the novel.

Some interesting ideas, poorly presented. The more I read of Stephenson the less I think of him as a writer. ( )
  EnsignRamsey | May 18, 2015 |
I read this a long time ago - and didn't remember much of the plot. I think I didn't quite understand when I first read it. Luckily, I gave it a second shot - and found it a lot more interesting.

This is a story about a book. A book that changed a world. In the future, people align themselves by claves - that is groups that share the same values. One of The most powerful clave is the Victorians, who believe that the best way of thinking came from Queen Victoria's time. The leader of this clave thinks that it becoming stagnant, and creates a book that will teach children how to think independently. Through a series of events, this book falls into the hands of a little ghetto girl, Nell. This is the story of that book and how it changes the world.

In some ways, this was difficult book for me to read. It moved fast, lots of characters, lots of odd ideas. And being written in 1996, some of the technology seems outdated. Also, I think that this story is very much a product of the times - advanced consumerism, humans haven't changed, even though they have advanced technology. On the other hand, I can see elements of this story fore-shadowing the future - Especially with the ability to manipulate atoms and with 3-D printing.

The characters are solid, but standard. Where the book shines is its world building - It feels real and doesn't fall on stereotypes. The writing is tight - although you have to pay attention. Its a book requires a reader to stay focused.

Highly recommended if you want a book that is fast paced, fast characters, has a gritty edge to it, and tells an interesting story. ( )
  TheDivineOomba | Apr 26, 2015 |
This book's title is stupid. It should have the subtitle as the title. Because this book IS "A Young Lady's Illustrated Primer". It has nothing to do with a Diamond Age. It's just a story about an interactive children's book. Not that there's anything wrong with that. But, I signed on to read a Neal Stephenson book, a crazy romp through cyberspace. Not some story about some stupid little girl and the whore who talks to her through this interactive book.

Okay, I admit the whore's story is kind of interesting. But this book isn't about the wore's story. It should have been! But, sadly, it's not. It's just about this stupid little girl's fucked up life, with her abusive family. I don't fucking care, okay? I just don't. There, I said it. ( )
  gecizzle | Mar 5, 2015 |

Neal Stephensonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Jensen, BruceCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wiltsie, JenniferNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
By nature, men are nearly alike;
by practice, they get to be wide apart.

- Confucius
The bells of St. Mark's were ringing changes up on the mountain when Bud skated over to the mod parlor to upgrade his skull gun.
The difference between ignorant and educated people is that the latter know more facts. But that has nothing to do with whether they are stupid or intelligent. The difference between stupid and intelligent people--and this is true whether or not they are well-educated--is that intelligent people can handle subtlety. They are not baffled by ambiguous or even contradictory situations--in fact, they expect them and are apt to become suspicious when things seem overly straightforward.
It is upon moral qualities that a society is ultimately founded. All the prosperity and technological sophistication in the world is of no use without that foundation.

The story of an engineer who creates a device to raise a girl capable of thinking for herself reveals what happens when a young girl of the poor underclass obtains the device.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 014027037X, 0241953197

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,073,416 books! | Top bar: Always visible