The Diamond Age by Neal. Stephenson

The Diamond Age (original 1995; edition 1995)

by Neal. Stephenson

Member:Robert3167
Title:The Diamond Age
Authors:Neal. Stephenson
Info:BANTAM. (1995), Paperback, 455 pages
Collections:Your library, Sc-Fi
Rating:*****
Tags:Sci-Fi, Nanotechnology

The Diamond Age: Or, a Young Lady's Illustrated Primer by Neal Stephenson (1995)

Recently added byDragonkitty, ConalO, arees, garethjp14, Hobbesy, qux
Legacy LibrariesTerence Kemp McKenna
    Blood Music by Greg Bear (psybre)
    Everyone in Silico by Jim Munroe (sbuehrle)
    Smart Alec by Kage Baker (bertilak)
    bertilak: Two narratives about cyber-tutors.
    Starswarm by Jerry Pournelle (infiniteletters)
    The Alchemy of Stone by Ekaterina Sedia (majkia)
    majkia: Both books take place in the midst of social upheaval and both portray worlds far from perfect. The class divisions are highlighted and one sees how so many individuals' lives can easily be diminished in a Victorian sort of steampunk culture.
    Island by Aldous Huxley (urza)
    urza: One is utopistic novel, other science fiction full of nanotechnology. Yet, both books left similar feelings in me. The story in both takes place in beautifuly described colorful world. Both deal with human society and both are kind of "brighter side of the life".
    The Magicians and Mrs. Quent by Galen Beckett (feeling.is.first)
    The Somnambulist by Jonathan Barnes (suzanney)
    The Neverending Story by Michael Ende (infiniteletters)
    infiniteletters: Its fantasy counterpart

English (125)  French (2)  Finnish (1)  German (1)  Italian (1)  Hungarian (1)  Romanian (1)  All languages (132)
Neal Stephenson writes science fiction that requires a certain level of attention and concentration to follow and stay on top of. You can’t lay a Stephenson novel down for a few days and hope to come back and take up where you left off. This is not pulp science fiction.

As in much of his other work, Stephenson, in The Diamond Age, crafts a complicated economic and cultural landscape with a heavy mixture of technological and dystopian overlay. Set largely in heavily populated and “tribally” stratified future Southeast Asia, the heroine of the story, Nell, an economically deprived young lady, comes into possession of a “magical” book which creates a host of new opportunities for her. Over time, her life in the magical world of the book begins to merge with that of the real world, leading to a fascinating climax.

Numerous ancillary story threads present fascinating characters and intriguing scenarios. Simply put, Stephenson is a highly intelligent, brilliant story teller whose science fiction is among the best I’ve ever read. This novel is certainly no exception. ( )
  santhony | Aug 8, 2014 |
All he could think about was the taste of the sauce. If the manifest of ingredients on the bottle had been legible, it would have read something like this:
Water, blackstrap molasses, imported habanero peppers, salt, garlic, ginger, tomato puree, axle grease, real hickory smoke, snuff, butts of clove cigarettes, Guinness Stout fermentation dregs, uranium mill tailings, muffler cores, monosodium glutamate, nitrates, nitrites, nitrotes and nitrutes, nutrites, natrotes, powdered pork nose hairs, dynamite, activated charcoal, match-heads, used pipe cleaners, tar, nicotine, single-malt whiskey, smoked beef lymph nodes, autumn leaves, red fuming nitric acid, bituminous coal, fallout, printer’s ink, laundry starch, drain cleaner, blue chrysotile asbestos, carrageenan, BHA, BHT, and natural flavorings.

I tried to like this book. I tried so hard. Reading it on vacation, with nothing else to occupy my days but a pool and a beach, and a chair for me to read it in, after three days I gave up a little over halfway through, right around the beginning of “Part the Second”. I typically read a book a day on vacation, and the fact that after three days I was only ~260 pages into this one was a sure sign that something was wrong. I was not engrossed. I was easily distracted. Facebook and email were calling to me more than the book was – and I hate my smartphone when I’m supposed to be “off”.

I’m not even sure I can say what went wrong here. Glimpses of what I would call Stephenson’s characteristic humor (i.e. the quote above) were few and far between, and sadly missed. Although the plot seemed… interesting? There was something missing in the execution. There were all kinds of technical descriptions of the nanotechnology, and I’m certain that this book was eons ahead of its time as far as science fiction goes, but the story line was plodding and I couldn’t bring myself to care about any of the one-dimensional characters.

So utterly unlike Stephenson, who is generally one of my favorite authors. Usually so intelligent, biting, and funny, here … he just fell far short of my expectations. ( )
  philosojerk | Aug 3, 2014 |
I initially only gave this book three stars but I find my mind going back to it over and over since I read it and remembering it fondly. I think I really enjoyed this far more than I realized. ( )
  JohnMunsch | Jul 16, 2014 |
Largely entertaining, but I completely lost the thread among all the subplots. The most interesting theme for me was how artificial intelligence could help to educate kids by giving them appropriate challenges and lessons. ( )
  ohernaes | Jun 28, 2014 |
Dazzling nanotech future of "phyles" rather than nations, with neo-Victorians and others in a techno-Shanghai backdrop. Even better than the terrific "Snow Crash".
  Clevermonkey | May 29, 2014 |

Neal Stephensonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Jensen, BruceCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wiltsie, JenniferNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
By nature, men are nearly alike;
by practice, they get to be wide apart.

- Confucius
The bells of St. Mark's were ringing changes up on the mountain when Bud skated over to the mod parlor to upgrade his skull gun.
The difference between ignorant and educated people is that the latter know more facts. But that has nothing to do with whether they are stupid or intelligent. The difference between stupid and intelligent people--and this is true whether or not they are well-educated--is that intelligent people can handle subtlety. They are not baffled by ambiguous or even contradictory situations--in fact, they expect them and are apt to become suspicious when things seem overly straightforward.
It is upon moral qualities that a society is ultimately founded. All the prosperity and technological sophistication in the world is of no use without that foundation.

The story of an engineer who creates a device to raise a girl capable of thinking for herself reveals what happens when a young girl of the poor underclass obtains the device.

Five editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Two editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 014027037X, 0241953197

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,790,171 books! | Top bar: Always visible