Barefoot in the Rain (Barefoot Bay) by…

Barefoot in the Rain (Barefoot Bay) (edition 2012)

by Roxanne St. Claire

Member:erinhill01
Title:Barefoot in the Rain (Barefoot Bay)
Authors:Roxanne St. Claire
Info:Forever (2012), Edition: Original, Mass Market Paperback, 448 pages
Rating:*****

Barefoot in the Rain (Barefoot Bay) by Roxanne St. Claire

I don't even know where to begin. I love all of Roxanne St. Claire's books, but she really did something truly special and unique on this one. I felt heart gripping emotion on every page. This is truly a love story--not just in the traditional sense. Of course we have the love between Jocelyn and Will. But there's so much more than that here.

This book deals with very serious issues. If you had asked me if I wanted to read a romance novel that would include 1) a man struggling with Alzheimer's and 2) domestic violence, I would have probably told you that book wasn't for me. But what Roxanne St. Claire has done with these real life struggles, and how she presented them so masterfully boggles my mind. She created this work of fiction that felt so real to me. I felt Jocelyn's pain. I felt Will's pain. And I felt Guy's pain. And not in a superficial way--but in the most heart-wrenching way you can imagine.

Jocelyn has very hard decisions. How can she forgive and love the man who caused her and her mother so much pain. Does that man even exist anymore? What is the right thing to do? All of these questions are answered in the most beautiful and touching way. I think Roxanne St. Claire really outdid herself this time and created the most moving book I have read in decades.

My words in this review just can't adequately describe how amazing this book is. This book spoke to me and touched my heart. I would highly recommend it. Five stars just isn't enough. Barefoot in the Rain is in a class by itself--just like its author. ( )
  Rachel.Kall | Jul 23, 2013 |
The prologue in this novel grabs your attention from the first page and sets the tone for the rest of the book with humor, drama, sex, fear, and a girl hell bent on doing what she thinks is best for the boy she loves even if it means she’ll never see him again. The book contains not only a beautiful love story, but also a story about abuse survival and the strength of forgiveness and friendship.

Both Will and Jocelyn are likable characters which is important for me to really enjoy a romance novel. They are well-developed, but not perfect, each having faults that add interest to the story. I also loved Jocelyn’s gaggle of girlfriends and plan to read their stories as well.

This book set a fast pace from start to finish and there was no part that seemed to drag on. It’s full of drama, humor, and steam! I definitely recommend it to any Contemporary Romance reader. ( )
  erinhill01 | Nov 12, 2012 |
Reviewed for Read Your Writes Book Reviews

Barefoot in the Rain is the first full length novel by Roxanne St. Claire, I have read. In the past, I’ve read two of her novellas. They were sweet, touching, and a little hot. I was expecting the same thing with this book. That wasn’t exactly what I got. Barefoot in the Rain is part of The Barefoot Bay Series, it is the second of four books. I didn’t read the first book, Barefoot in the Sand, and I don’t feel it’s actually necessary for you to have to read that book, to read, understand, and fall in love with Barefoot in the Rain.

I have to say this upfront. This isn’t going to be a review where I tell you what happened with the book. I don’t want to spoil ANYTHING. What I will tell you is that this is a book you HAVE to read. Have you ever had one of those books where the scene was so intense, you actually forgot to breathe? Barefoot in the Rain is one of those books. The Prologue alone will have your heart racing. It’s emotional, heartwarming, and heart-wrenching, and at times frustrating.

I don’t know about you, but there are some romance novels where I wish I was the heroine. This isn’t one of those books. There are times as readers we just want to scream at the characters to get their acts together, this isn’t a book you can do that with. This book really touched me. Having my own personal experiences with the subject matter, it really played with my emotions. I found myself questioning my humanity, because I didn’t know who I was supposed to feel for.

The three main characters in the book are: Jocelyn Bloom, Will Palmer, and Jocelyn’s father, Guy. Barefoot in the Rain deals with domestic abuse and Alzheimer’s disease.

In the summer of 1997, Jocelyn and Will were both preparing for the beginning of the rest of their lives. Each were going to go to college and experience life outside of Barefoot Bay, thinking, hoping, and dreaming that their lives would become one, until one horrible, life changing night.

Fast forward fifteen years and everything has changed. Will’s big dream of playing for the Los Angeles Dodgers hasn’t come true and he’s back in Barefoot Bay, living in his old house, next door to the Bloom household. Jocelyn is a Life Coach to the rich and famous in Los Angeles. In order to seek refuge from a national scandal she’s a part of, she escapes back to Barefoot Bay for what is supposed to be some peace, quiet, and tranquility.She runs into Will and he shatters all of that.

Some of the questions asked in the book were, “What are you willing to sacrifice?” and “What are you prepared to die for?” For Jocelyn, it’s the same answer to both questions.

Jocelyn Bloom is an abuse survivor. Guy Bloom is her father who is supposed to love her, protect her, and keep her safe. Instead, Guy was her bully, tormentor, and abuser. Guy took away everything that Jocelyn loved and held dear. Now, Guy has Dementia and Will of all people is taking care of him.

Barefoot in the Rain is a wonderfully, fantastic story of love, loss, second chances, healing, and forgiving. This book will truly take you on a emotional roller coaster. Having a box of tissue handy is highly recommended. If you weren’t a fan of Roxanne St. Claire before reading this book, you definitely will be. Roxanne gave real insight to the life of an abuse survivor as well as to the life of a person with Alzheimer’s and those family members who are willing to give up everything to take care of that person out of love.

Source: NetGalley ( )
  ReadYourWrites | Oct 18, 2012 |

When she comes home after being embroiled in a scandal, Jocelyn Bloom tries to adjust to the changes in her father, who is suffering from Alzheimer's, and make amends with his caregiver Will Palmer--the man she left behind.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,748,437 books! | Top bar: Always visible