Sub-Human (Volume 1) by David Simpson

Sub-Human (Volume 1) (edition 2012)

by David Simpson, Autumn J. Conley (Editor), Jennifer Simpson (Cover Design)

Member:Elliot1822
Title:Sub-Human (Volume 1)
Authors:David Simpson
Other authors:Autumn J. Conley (Editor), Jennifer Simpson (Cover Design)
Info:CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (2012), Paperback, 246 pages
Collections:Untitled collection
Rating:*****

Sub-Human (Book 1) (Post-Human Prequel) by David Simpson

ABR's original Sub-Human audiobook review and many others can be found at Audiobook Reviewer.

X-Men meets Quantum Leap

There is a familiarity one feels while listening to Sub Human, not in the sense that you may have heard the book before, but that you are in a friendly place. Simpson manages to take many complex technological ideas and simplify them to a state of “oh, yeah, that will certainly happen.” Why shouldn’t we fly or be able to hold our breath for hours, or walk through nuclear fallout unscathed. There are some questionable leaps in science that are simply fun and give the imagination a playground for exploration. Parallel universes moving at different rates; why not? Most listeners will enjoy the ride.

If one could complain about anything, it would be that some of the ideas are not explored deeper; a kind of hunger for more, but that’s a positive thing that should keep us coming back for sequels. The characters are reasonably well developed, though unfortunately predictable at times, just short of two dimensional. No reason to spoil the plot here, just that, some characters just don’t have the depth one would hope for. Good enough to keep the ride rolling along, but not good enough to care too much when someone gets erased.

The narration is by Ray Chase, who does an outstanding job. He is good at differentiating the character voices, and generally doesn’t get in the way of the story. He has a kind of affectation to his voice that sometimes took this listener out of the story. But that is more of a personal objection, and most listeners should be more than satisfied with his performance. He is clearly a pro.

Sub Human is the first book in the Post Human Series. The plot wraps up completely and doesn’t leave the listener hanging at all. You will likely want to continue to the next book in the series, not to find out what happens next, but to hear about your favorite characters in a new situation altogether.

Audiobook provided for review by the publisher. ( )
  audiobibliophile | Apr 13, 2015 |
Quite a bit of fun, though it doesn't maintain the excitement of the story through the Titanic sequence and immediately after. Despite that, I was quite entertained throughout. The hero was interesting, but the AI more interesting still, and I found myself looking forward to his comments and advice. I ultimately have to recommend for the simple fact that Simpson writes like it's a high budget science fiction film that doesn't let up with the action. ( )
  nesum | Mar 28, 2014 |
I really enjoyed Sub-Human. The plot moves very quickly for a novel that relies on some wild ideas and Simpson explains the science very deftly without slowing the action. I had already read the other two in the series and had found them a tad fanciful, but this one doesn't exceed believability. Now that the beginning of the tale has been written, I think readers will enjoy the next book, Post-Human a lot more. Editing was superb as I only saw a couple typos. I breezed through this novel in two sittings (would have been one if I hadn't been so tired) which says a lot for me because I tend to fall asleep. I rarely give 5-stars, but this novel is top notch and definately gives momentum to the trilogy. Kudos to David Simpson! Looking forward to more of his work! ( )
  DonCranford | Dec 3, 2013 |
I enjoyed Sub-Human by David Simpson. The book moves quickly and has some wild ideas. David Simps explains his ideas very carefully without losing the flow of the action. I've never read the other two in the series, but this one doesn't seem impossible. I think readers will enjoy this book, Post-Human a very exciting read. I read through this book in a very short time as I didn't want to put it down. I gave this 5-stars, this novel is very good . ( )
  Elliot1822 | Dec 23, 2012 |

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,256,702 books! | Top bar: Always visible