On Dublin Street by Samantha Young

On Dublin Street (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Samantha Young

Member:kendradann
Title:On Dublin Street
Authors:Samantha Young
Info:NAL Trade (2012), Paperback, 336 pages
Rating:*****

On Dublin Street by Samantha Young (2012)

I stayed up all night finishing this one. It was that good. The characters and plot are well developed, it's beyond steamy without being gross, and best of all, it's at least relatively believable. ( )
  lovelypenny | Feb 4, 2016 |
3.5 stars

I am extremely conflicted about this book. I was entertained and it was a page turner, but the main male character, Braden, rubbed me the wrong way. I felt he was extremely controlling and the 'caveman' thing is not hot. If it was reserved only to the bedroom and it was 100% consensual, I can see why the controlling thing is hot. But Braden was more than that. He rips up a plane ticket to stop Joss from leaving (controlling); I felt like he sometimes overstepped his bounds with Joss, and one scene where he explicitly said he would kill her over something just made me feel uncomfortable. I know that people say that sometimes and don't mean it, but with his previous behavior, the statement rubbed me the wrong way. I will pick up the other books, but I can't condone the behavior of Braden. Girls and women shouldn't think that type of behavior is something to be romanticized. ( )
  uhohxkate | Jan 31, 2016 |
Jocelyn is 22 and has to move house after her best friend moves out to live with her boyfriend. On her way to check out an apartment she meets a hot guy in a cab and she definitely feels sparks between them. After she seals the deal of moving into the house on Dublin Street, it turns out the hot guy is her roommate’s half-brother Braden. Braden is immediately interested in her but Joss has major issues. After losing her family and her best friend, Joss is determined to keep people at arm’s length. If she stays away from loving people and stops them from getting close they have no power to hurt her and cause her to experience devastating loss once again. But of course, as the story goes, Braden is very persistent… In order to win her over he proposes a commitment, no strings, just sex. She had no problems with that at first but as time goes by Joss’ issues get in the way. This was an entertaining read and the writing was good but I wasn’t totally sold on Braden. Trust me, it’s just me because he really is sexy, successful, charmingly arrogant, devoted to his family… I just like ‘em a little sweeter. He made me think a bit of Christian Grey and he’s not my cup of tea either. And because Joss is so keen on keeping her distance and all, it takes a while to connect with her too. The same story kind of happens in the book Ugly Love (Colleen Hoover) and the main characters there also have issues but we get to really feel their emotions and hear their thoughts.. So I liked the book, but wasn’t totally in love with it.. Will read Down London Road though because I liked Ms. Young’s writing style and I am convinced she has the talent to make me give her more stars a next time. ( )
  Ingstje | Jan 18, 2016 |
I'm in the minority of readers of On Dublin Street by Samantha Young, a self published author. This is the start of a series of Adult Contemporary Romance novels that I won't be pursuing. It might be the genre that I'm not keen about, but it could be the author's style - whatever the reason, I really found the main character, Joss, incredibly irritating, shallow, immature and narcissistic.

The backstory was alright, but Joss' tragic past seemed contrived with its heaping miseries. The psychological premise, that her grief and guilt would lead to fear and withdrawal was a valid one. In this case though, Joss is such a slow learner, even after seeing a therapist.

The friends she's surrounded with are too good to be true, as is her love interest, Braden. They are all a bit cardboard, and the storyline respecting Ellie could be seen coming well beforehand.

The steamy sexy scenes are pretty well done, but my inability to admire or relate to Joss rendered them flat and predictable.

I found I was jumping paragraphs thoughout the book, just to be done with it. This is another case of my being taken in by the many 5 star reviews of a self published writer. In the end, I found On Dublin Street unappealing and cannot recommend it. ( )
  Zumbanista | Jan 17, 2016 |
I liked it. I really enjoyed the banter between Braden and Jocelyn, yes I called her Jocelyn... They had such good chemistry together. I adored Ellie too! A good story although I felt it dragged on a little longer than necessary but worth the read! ( )
  GwendolynGrace | Jul 15, 2015 |
added by AoifeT | editDear Author, Jane (Sep 18, 2012)

I was bored.

Genre: Adult Contemporary Romance

Four years ago, Jocelyn Butler left her tragic past behind in the States and started over in Edinburgh. Burying the grief, ignoring her demons, and forging ahead without any real attachments has worked well for her so far but when Joss moves into a fantastic apartment on Dublin Street, her carefully guarded world is shaken to its core by her new roommate’s sexy older brother.

Braden Carmichael is a man who always gets what he wants. And what he wants is Jocelyn in his bed. Knowing how skittish Joss is concerning any kind of relationship, Braden proposes a sexual arrangement that should satisfy the intense attraction between them without it developing into anything ‘more’. An intrigued Jocelyn agrees, completely unprepared for the Scotsman and his single-minded determination to strip the stubborn young woman bare…to the very soul.

Jocelyn left her tragic past behind in the States and started over in Scotland, burying her grief, ignoring her demons, and forging ahead without attachments. When she moves into a new apartment on Dublin Street, she meets a man who shakes her carefully guarded world to its core. Braden Carmichael is used to getting what he wants, and he's determined to get Jocelyn into his bed. Knowing how skittish she is about entering a relationship, Braden proposes an arrangement that will satisfy their intense attraction without any strings attached. Jocelyn soon realizes that Braden won't be satisfied with just mind-blowing passion. The stubborn Scotsman is intent on truly knowing her, down to the very soul.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,256,709 books! | Top bar: Always visible