It's Our Nature by Rebeca Orozco

It's Our Nature (edition 2012)

by Rebeca Orozco

Info:Tundra Books (2012), Hardcover, 24 pages
Tags:590 Oro

It's Our Nature by Rebeca Orozco

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A really interesting translated-to-English fact filled book (originally Spanish). My 7 year old spent some time reading through this book and reiterating things to the family from the back of the car. He likes books like this. His younger sister was bored to death even the pictures didn't thrill her. So, it is a mixed bag. The words are a littly dry (and there are some bigger vocabulary words like "altruism"), but I found the art interesting and unique.

I received this book through the LibraryThing Early Reviewers program. ( )
  antmusic | Mar 19, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
_It's our Nature_, by Rebeca Orozco and illustrated by Menena Cottin, is a picture book about various virtues in the animal kingdom. For example, one animal discussed is the flamingo which is used as an example of community when groups of flamingos help look after each others' chicks. I received a free copy from the LibraryThing Early Reviewers program.

I really wanted to like this book but, in the end, I can't muster any enthusiasm for it. I requested the book because the cover illustration is in a style my 3-year-old son tends to like and he's also currently obsessed with penguins. I like the illustrations. However, I found the text to be uninspiring and sometimes a little awkward. For example, in the flamingo section it says, "They take the little flamingo to a part of the lake where a group of parents, a sort of daycare, look after all the chicks." I don't think there's anything wrong with the sentence but it doesn't feel quite right to me either. I noticed on the copyright page that it mentioned this was a translation so maybe some of the original spark was lost in the translation, I'm not sure.

We've had our copy for a couple of weeks now and my son did listen to it fine the first time we read it but hasn't requested it again. He is only 3 and the publisher is recommending it for ages 5-8 so maybe it's just too old for him. My son doesn't have a problem with longer books, he loves _Charlie and the Chocolate Factory_ and _Mr. Popper's Penguins_, but perhaps the concepts in_It's Our Nature_ are still too advanced for him to understand at his current age.

All that being said, I do like the concept of the book. It's always nice to find books that emphasize values I believe in and since the book isn't religiously oriented, it would work well for a diverse audience. ( )
  kiesa | Nov 27, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A clever book title bridges an understanding of animal behavior for children to learn that animals have feelings, too. I found the text to be very educational and informative, beginning with a description of the Howler Monkey's selfless concern for the well being of others. Interesting illustrations depict the animal community of elephants and flamingos to be one of a generous community. Overall, a strong sense of harmony (embracing diversity) is seen throughout the animal kingdom, showing strong attributes of the penguin, armadillo and wildebeest, to name a few. I especially like how the book cover becomes a free animal poster. This would be a great addition for school, home library and gift giving. ( )
  LadyD_Books | Nov 27, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I adore the illustrations in this book, they are simple but gorgeous. My son instantly picked up the book because of the penguins but enjoyed the entire book. Its a very nice book that shows examples of different character traits exhibited in nature. ( )
  Elizabeth_Hurlburt | Nov 17, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
An excellent way to explain difficult concepts of altruism, generosity, trust, responsibility, solidarity, tolerance and brotherhood to young and mid-age children through the examples of how all animals have these inherent characteristics.
  clearfieldelem | Nov 14, 2012 |

A unique look at the social behavior of wild animals for very young children--

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

It's Our Nature by Rebeca Orozco was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,396,084 books! | Top bar: Always visible