Going Up!: Elisha Otis's Trip to the Top by…

Going Up!: Elisha Otis's Trip to the Top (edition 2012)

by Monica Kulling (Author), David Parkins (Illustrator)

19None533,508 (4.05)None
Member:ElizaJane
Title:Going Up!: Elisha Otis's Trip to the Top
Authors:Monica Kulling (Author)
Other authors:David Parkins (Illustrator)
Info:Tundra Books (2012), Hardcover, 32 pages
Collections:Review Copies
Tags:arc, tundra, biography, canadian author, inventor, elevator, children, picture book, history, 1850s, read2012

Going Up!: Elisha Otis's Trip to the Top by Monica Kulling

The Great Idea Series is a wonderful set of books for pre-school+ age kids. I have enjoyed reading these with my five-year-old who likes engineering, building, and tinkering. In this book about Elisha Otis who more or less invented the modern elevator we learned about Otis' life and his invention.

I appreciate each book starts with a short poem. This is a nice way to introduce poetry to children who may not be inclined to read a whole poetry book.

Thus far the series does a great job on focusing on women and people of color. I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the books in the series and hope they continue to grow this series. ( )
  eo206 | Apr 20, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Biographies in children's libraries can be rather dry and uninteresting to children. This book was neither. It captured my children's attention through the unique cover design, detailed illustrations, and age-appropriate text... and they learned something too! ( )
  Adriane_Adams | Feb 8, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is a well written story about an inventor for children. The illustrations are superb, and the story gives a gimps into the history of technology in the early 20th century when immigrants like this elevator inventor were coming to America to start over. Most immigrants to this country like Otis started with nothing and built a new life here. The author does a good job portraying this example of that. ( )
  NathanaelS | Feb 1, 2013 |
Reason for Reading: Next in the series.

I always enjoy good picture book biographies and Monica Kulling's "Great Idea Series" is a favourite of mine. She has a knack for picking the not so common inventors of the last 150 years or so. These are inventions we've heard of but the inventor's names are not always the most well known. I have heard of Elijah Otis before but if asked who he was I would have answered "an inventor" not really connecting his name with his famous and life-changing invention, the elevator. The book takes the usual form of this series which is comforting as each book is a welcome read when we know what to expect. This one skips Elijah's childhood very fast as by page three he is married, widowed, father of two and remarried as he sets off to try his luck in New York.

We find Elijah a studious man, who though working in a factory by day, spends his evenings designing machinery to improve the speed of the manufacturing process. Written with short paragraphs or two per page, each accompanied by large intricate illustrations that perfectly show off both Otis' character and the time period. We eventually learn how he comes up with the idea of the elevator, the public's initial reluctance to believe it was safe and the eventual implementation of the elevator in architecture and its direct influence on the building of "skyscrapers". Another fine entry in the series. ( )
  ElizaJane | Dec 11, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is a short picture book biography of Elisha Otis, the inventor of the elevator. An entertaining and engaging story for children learning about inventions. The brief text and large pictures on each page make it accessible for upper elementary aged students. It would be great for children who are curious about inventions or for a school library. The book jacket on this review copy also turns into a poster for the series of invention books. Very useful in a school or classroom! ( )
  purplethings | Nov 27, 2012 |
For Linda and Peter, dear friends

Recounts the story of the invention of the elevator and of its creator, tracing Otis's route from a farm boy watching ropes break on the hay hoist to his contributions to high-rise innovations and other feats of modern architecture.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Going Up! by Monica Kulling was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,493,104 books! | Top bar: Always visible