Dead of Winter by Lee Collins

Dead of Winter (edition 2012)

by Lee Collins

Member:TheAlternativeOne
Title:Dead of Winter
Authors:Lee Collins
Info:Angry Robot (2012), Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Tags:Weird Western

Dead of Winter by Lee Collins

English (12)  German (1)  All (13)
It's 1883 in Colorado and Cora and Ben Oglesby, are bounty hunters. Not your average everyday bounty hunters but hunters of vampires and other supernatural nasties. They have been successfully doing this for more than a decade. As they are passing through the small settlement of Leadville, Colorado, they are beseeched to save the settlement from a mysterious animal that has been killing the miners and towns people. Cora and Ben soon find that the creature they are hunting might not be their usual supernatural quarry.

I will have to say that I have never read anything like this. As this is not my usual type of book, I struggled with the first 50 or so pages...not because it was difficult to understand but because of the redundancy of the whole idea. It would have been a okay if the author had just worked the supernatural theme and not set it in a Gunsmoke- like town with Mr. Dillon and Chester characters. Once you get past the combining of a western with a horror novel it smooths itself out. Will I read another like this? probably not. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
One of the best books I've read this year! Proper review coming later. ( )
  BooksOn23rd | Nov 25, 2015 |
One of the best books I've read this year! Proper review coming later. ( )
  BooksOn23rd | Nov 25, 2015 |
I didn’t know much about this book apart from the tag on the front of the book ‘True Grit meets True Blood’. This was enough to get my attention and I felt like a western paranormal urban fantasy novel might be a fun read. Cora and her husband Ben are hunters, but for things that should not exist in the world. When the Marshall of Leadville, Colorado calls her in to help with a series of mysterious deaths, Cora feels she may have finally met her match.

I’m not sure how to classify the novel; is it a Western, paranormal, dark fantasy or even urban fantasy novel? The Dark of Winter seems to mash all these elements into the one book, and it does a decent job at doing that. I was hoping that Cora would be as sassy as Mattie Ross in True Grit but she was just a bitch, plain and simple. In fact the only True Grit element in the book was that this book is a western. I felt a little disappointed in that, I wanted sassy, but I got bitchy. I did get over that pretty quickly and was able to settle in to enjoy the plot. The characters never seemed to be developed enough for me, but this may have been due to my expectations.

On the whole, I felt that there was just something missing from the book; the characters just didn’t come together properly, but there was some chemistry between Cora and the English hunter. The writing of this book was good and the pacing of the plot was decent enough but for some reason I still think the book needed something else to improve the story. I’m not sure if it needed the sass, or maybe some wit or humour but I think adding an extra element like these would have helped the book overall.

A Vampire Western novel seems very unique and there was a sense of mystery throughout the novel but there was always some cliches which counteracted the good parts. Its adventure elements were let down by the dialogue between the characters. It just felt like for every good element of this book, I had an issue with something else. I’m sure some people will really enjoy this book I just felt like the pros and cons of this book just equalled out to make it feel like an average read. I’m not sure if I’ll read the sequel when it comes out but I know I won’t be rushing out to get it.

This review originally appeared on my blog; http://literary-exploration.com/2012/10/22/book-review-the-dead-of-winter/ ( )
  knowledge_lost | Apr 28, 2015 |
Whiskey chugging, gun slinging, monster killing done Old West style!

I've been in the mood for books with a bit of western flare to them and The Dead of Winter did not disappoint. The site of a fresh gorey killing pulled me in right away and the mystery of it along with the brash characters had me hooked.

Cora the main character is one rough and tumble bounty hunter that specializes in paranormal creatures. She is snarky and the type to rush into a situation before really thinking it out. She isn't your typical lead female. I say this because she isn't pretty or sexy, and has a drinking problem. I have to guess she is probably in her early 40's, so there isn't alot of change to her personality or habits through the course of the story and any character growth we do see for her is at the end of the book. The one gripe I have is that any supporting characters were not very well developed at all. Almost all of the focus was on Cora.

Luckily, there is just enough action in this one to keep the pages flipping. I was engrossed and didn't want to put it down much until I was finished.

It seemed to me that the author was going for a more classic take on vampires. You know the whole crucifixes, garlic and holy water bit. I found it all rather comical and had a good few laughs. Normally, I wouldn't find that type of vampire very entertaining cause, I mean garlic? Really? I never did understand that one, but it didn't bother me so much here. Thankfully, Collins did throw in enough new traits to his vampires that I was still interested...and of course I mustn't forget the monster from the first part of the book. But I'm not telling you what that one is! ( )
  Pabkins | Jun 24, 2014 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0857662724, Mass Market Paperback)

Cora and her husband hunt things - things that shouldn't exist. When the marshal of Leadville, Colorado, comes across a pair of mysterious deaths, he turns to Cora to find the creature responsible, but if Cora is to overcome the unnatural tide threatening to consume the small town, she must first confront her own tragic past as well as her present.

File Under: Dark Fantasy [ Winter Chill | Small Town Blues | Dead Reckoning | Sharp Shooter ]

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:37 -0400)

Cora and her husband hunt things; things that shouldn't exist. When the marshal of Leadville, Colorado, comes across a pair of mysterious deaths, he turns to Cora to find the creature responsible, but if Cora is to overcome the unnatural tide threatening to consume the small town, she must first confront her own tragic past as well as her present.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,889,421 books! | Top bar: Always visible