Magic Rises by Ilona Andrews

Magic Rises

by Ilona Andrews

Series: Kate Daniels (6)

Mercenary Kate Daniels and her mate, Curran, the Beast Lord, face a crisis when many of the Pack's shapeshifting children cannot control their beasts and don't live to adulthood. With the young people's survival and the Pack's future at stake, Kate and Curran know they must accept an offer made by the European packs -- but they have little doubt that they're heading straight into a trap.… (more)

I really liked this one- it felt fresh and interesting, and the descriptions of the countryside were just gorgeous. ( )
  being_b | Jan 8, 2020 |
Panacea, the only medicine able to prevent a shapeshifter from turning into a loup. It also happens to be one of the hardest to find. The amount of magic it takes to create panacea is a closely guarded secret of the European shapeshifters. When two more children of the pack go loup, Kate watches as her ward Julie falls apart knowing her best friend has to be killed. Until Curran announces that the pack has been contacted for a job with the European packs, and panacea is the payment. It's an obvious trap, but as Kate sees the torment in the children's faces, she knows the future rest in attaining the panacea. No more children should have to die.

This time readers are taken across the seas where the pack will have to protect a pregnant werewolf by the name of Desandra. Caught in a political struggle, not only does her father want to kill her, but there are two packs near war over her unborn children. Being the only human among shapeshifters, Kate will have to once again prove that she isn't just another weak human. Curran will also have to keep a close lid on his temper, or else start a war between his pack and three others.

Ilona Andrews isn't afraid to introduce new elements into the world of Kate Daniels. Because of this, there is never a dull moment in the series. Kate and the pack will have to face off against a new host of enemies and this time the cost is high. There will be no punches pulled and Kate's past is never far behind her. No one she loves is safe anymore. ( )
  Letora | Nov 24, 2019 |

Letora | Oct 20, 2019 |
This review is for Magic Slays, Gunmetal Magic, and Magic Rises (Kate Daniels, #5, 5.5, 6).

I'm reviewing these three simultaneously, because I'm flying through this series! Additionally, I don't like to say very much about the books that fall in the middle. I'm too worried I'll spoil something that happened previously! However, I feel like something needs to be said, because I am really loving all of the Kate Daniels books. Even Gunmetal Magic, a book from Andrea's perspective, was amazing. I'm so happy they decided to write a book from her point of view!

It's hard to choose a favorite character, because I honestly love them all! Kate's fierce determination, Curran's unwavering presence, Andrea's sweet southern accent (only when she wants something), Roman's hilarious "dark" side, everything about Aunt B, Jim's need to be puurrrfect, Doolittle's endless sweet tea and kind heart, Ascanio's antics and enthusiasm, Derek's loyalty and stoicism -- I could go on and on! They are all so uniquely different, and I love learning new things about them as the story progresses (there are other characters I didn't name, but that are equally awesome).

I get a little annoyed with the repeated information, although I know it's for a new reader's benefit. You can pick up any book in this series and enjoy it without having read any of the books before it. A lot of the story would make more sense if read consecutively, and they do somewhat depend on each other, but each book is able to stand on its own (which I love). However, that does mean hearing (since I'm listening to the audiobooks) some of the same information over and over again. Why Derek's face is no longer pretty, for example. He was only in Gunmetal Magic for a few seconds, yet something horrible from his past is explained in great detail for the umpteenth time (I would rather forget it ever happened, to be honest).

Ilona Andrews is an amazing author duo, and I have loved every single thing I've read by them. I recently ordered all of the books in this series, because I wanted physical copies for my shelves. Kate Daniels is that good. Pinky swear! The details are ridiculous and insanely convincing, the fight scenes make me feel anxious, even though rationally I know there are more books, so most of the characters have to be okay. I really like everything about the Pack, including the mating frenzy (some of the tricks that are played are hilarious). Simply put, it's a fantastic series! Read it!

Originally posted at Do You Dog-ear? on February 24, 2019. ( )
  doyoudogear | Oct 11, 2019 |
So freakin' great. No one writes dialogue like Ilona Andrews, maybe because they are a team, but the reveal the heart of their characters simply and eloquently, and there is never any doubt that these people would say exactly that to each other.

This story made me laugh and made me cry and made me love this series even more. ( )
  Colette_Miranda | Jul 29, 2019 |

Ilona Andrewsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Raudman, RenéeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To our fathers, wherever they may be.
I spun the spear.
Why, were you afraid they'd take your man card away?"
"Are you going to help me or just make fun of me?"
"Can't I do both?"
You're sending some confusing signals."
"I'm sunbathing," Doolittle told him. "And enjoying my book. Don't bother me with your foolishness."
"Maybe later?" Keira said. "I have plans."
"What plans?" Barabas peered at her.
"I was going to go and think deep thoughts, somewhere in the sun."
"With your eyes closed? George asked.
"Possibly."
"Look, I've tried. I walk into a pool, I thrash, and then I sink."

Atlanta is a city plagued by magical problems. Kate Daniels will fight to solve them—no matter the cost.

Mercenary Kate Daniels and her mate, Curran, the Beast Lord, are struggling to solve a heartbreaking crisis. Unable to control their beasts, many of the Pack’s shapeshifting children fail to survive to adulthood. While there is a medicine that can help, the secret to its making is closely guarded by the European packs, and there’s little available in Atlanta.

Kate can’t bear to watch innocents suffer, but the solution she and Curran have found threatens to be even more painful. The European shapeshifters who once outmaneuvered the Beast Lord have asked him to arbitrate a dispute—and they’ll pay him in medicine. With the young people’s survival and the Pack’s future at stake, Kate and Curran know they must accept the offer—but they have little doubt that they’re heading straight into a trap…

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,553,571 books! | Top bar: Always visible