A Man Called Ove: A Novel by Fredrik Backman

A Man Called Ove: A Novel (original 2012; edition 2015)

by Fredrik Backman (Author)

Member:RobinBrz
Title:A Man Called Ove: A Novel
Authors:Fredrik Backman (Author)
Info:Washington Square Press (2015), Edition: Reprint, 368 pages
Collections:Your library, To read

A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman (2012)

English (281)  German (5)  Swedish (2)  Danish (2)  Spanish (2)  Finnish (1)  Dutch (1)  Norwegian (1)  Italian (1)  Piratical (1)  All (297)
I have not yet read this book.
  LynneQuan | Oct 16, 2017 |
After reading BEARTOWN this summer, I couldn't wait to get my hands on this one. It had been on my list for quite awhile. The audio version came up on my Bridges library account and I flew through it. Since I'm not driving around as much, I listened to it while I got ready for school every morning. It's only nine hours long and once I started I found ways to listen to while washing dishes and cleaning the house. Then when I was done, I missed Ove, Parvaneh, Rune and wanted to keep hearing about Ove's day.

Ove is a crotchety man who still has a lot of life to live. But sadly, he doesn't feel like he can go on any longer after his wife's death. So, he starts each day, planning to kill himself, and each day, something gets in the way of that. His new neighbors with a baby on the way and his long-time neighbors keep needing him to help them and slowly, Ove is brought out of his shell.

A MAN CALLED OVE is another favorite book for me this year and I would highly recommend reading or listening to it. ( )
  Staciele | Oct 16, 2017 |
I love Ove. I know i am a little late to the fan club but this is a book to go on my 'treasure' shelf' . Will look for others by this author and can only hope that they are as good!
Diligent, determined and dutiful he is lost without his wife. His life is solitary and thats just how he wants it, till he can go be with her. His choice, his timing of course. But then he gets new neighbors and the reader gets to see Ove join the imperfect human race ( within limits OF COURSE ) against his will but ultimately to his liking.
LOVED the style of writing. And tho i doubt i could live with him, i love Ove..... ( )
  lineells | Oct 15, 2017 |
Just a dang awesome read! ( )
  mollypitchermary | Oct 11, 2017 |
What a wonderful story of a grumpy old man who wasn't really all that grumpy. Ove had been through so much and made him into what he was. He loved his wife so much that the story revolves around his attempts to join her now that she has passed away. But doing that turns out not to be so easy. With nosy neighbors and an annoying social services person bother his other neighbor. Loved this story and highly recommend it to everyone. ( )
  Wmaresca | Oct 10, 2017 |
Den svenske suksessbloggeren Fredrik Backman drar oss gjennom en forutsigbar fortelling som trykker på alle de rette knappene inntil vi er trygt plassert innenfor vår egen komfortsone.
added by annek49 | editNRK, Knut Hoem (May 9, 2013)

Livet är obegripligt, världen är läskig och det går inte att skydda sig mot den. Fredrik Backman berättar underhållande om botemedlet i sin debutroman.
added by annek49 | editDN, Lotta Olsson (Jan 14, 2013)

Genom humorns prisma belyser ”En man som heter Ove” teman som åldrande, vänskap, sorg, livslust och den föränderliga mansrollen. Boken är varken behärskad eller finputsad – delar är återvunna från Café-bloggen och har skarvats in lite slarvigt – men den är en skruvad och gripande romandebut som mycket väl kan vara början på ett stort humoristiskt författarskap.

This word-of-mouth bestseller has sold more than 650,000 copies in Sweden and has been a hit across Europe. It deserves to do at least as well here. I loved A Man Called Ove so much that I started to ration how much I read to prolong my time with this cantankerous, low-key, misunderstood man. If you enjoyed Rachel Joyce’s marvellous bestseller, The Unlikely Pilgrimage Of Harold Fry, you will love this book.

Each short chapter of A Man Called Ove could stand alone as a beautifully crafted short story. Bring the chapters together and you have the most uplifting, life-affirming and often comic tale of how kindness, love and happiness can be found in the most unlikely places

Backman's tale of 59-yea-old curmudgeon, Ove, not only captured the hearts of Backman's fellow Swedes, but has also swept across Europe as a word-of-mouth best-seller; a domino effect that suggests community spirit and social responsibility isn't quite so lacking as we're often told it is....On occasion the slightly repetitive tone becomes cloying, but Backman can tickle the funny bone and tug on the heart strings when he needs to, and is a clever enough storyteller to not overindulge in either.

For those of you who don't want your fiction to make you feel warm and fuzzy inside, A Man Called Ove isn't for you. Yet it's surprisingly cheering to think how many people have embraced this simple but heartwarming novel.

Backman, Fredrikprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Soidro, SiiriToimetajasecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sybesma, EdithTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Walker, JoanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Werner, StefanieÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dear Neda. It's always meant to make you laugh. Always.
Ove is fifty-nine.
Death is a strange thing. People live their whole lives as if it does not exist, and yet it's often one of the great motivations for living. Some of us, in time, become so conscious of it that we live harder, more obstinately, with more fury. Some need its constant presence to even be aware of its antithesis. Others become so preoccupied with it that they go into the waiting room long before it has announced its arrival. We fear it, yet most of us fear more than anything that it may take someone other than ourselves. For the greatest fear of death is always that it will pass us by. And leave us there alone.
Another silence, as if two gunmen have suddenly realized they have forgotten to bring their pistols.
Then Mum died. And Dad grew even quieter. As if she took away with her the few words he'd possessed.
Had Ove been the sort of man who contemplated how and when one became the sort of man one was, he might have said this was the day he learned that right has to be right.
He contented himself with remembering that on this day he'd decided to be as little unlike his father as possible.

Meet Ove. He’s a curmudgeon—the kind of man who points at people he dislikes as if they were burglars caught outside his bedroom window. He has staunch principles, strict routines, and a short fuse. People call him “the bitter neighbor from hell.” But must Ove be bitter just because he doesn’t walk around with a smile plastered to his face all the time?

Behind the cranky exterior there is a story and a sadness. So when one November morning a chatty young couple with two chatty young daughters move in next door and accidentally flatten Ove’s mailbox, it is the lead-in to a comical and heartwarming tale of unkempt cats, unexpected friendship, and the ancient art of backing up a U-Haul. All of which will change one cranky old man and a local residents’ association to their very foundations.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,487,749 books! | Top bar: Always visible