A Man Called Ove: A Novel by Fredrik Backman

A Man Called Ove: A Novel (original 2012; edition 2015)

by Fredrik Backman (Author)

Member:E.M.Collyer
Title:A Man Called Ove: A Novel
Authors:Fredrik Backman (Author)
Info:Backman, Fredrik (2015), Edition: Reprint, 337 pages

A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman (2012)

English (387)  German (4)  Italian (3)  Swedish (3)  Danish (2)  Spanish (2)  Finnish (1)  Norwegian (1)  Piratical (1)  All languages (404)
What a beautiful story of the old man Ove. I really enjoyed reading this book, I laughed and I cried. 5 stars for sure!!! ( )
  futrzak13 | Apr 14, 2019 |
This man called Ove is a cantankerous fellow. He conducts daily inspections of his residential block, has private nicknames for everyone, and is principled to the point of inflexibility. But has he always been like that? How did he get that way? And is there anyone who can crack that façade?

I’d heard a lot about Backman from the Internet and various book sites, and then my mother-in-law’s book club had this on their voting list for the 2018-19 book club season, so I decided to try it out. It took me a while to get into. I had a hard time believing that Ove was 59 at the start of the story — his complaining would do justice to a man 20 years his senior. And I am a bit of a grumpypants myself, but even I found Ove a bit tooooo curmudgeonly for my tastes.

But as the story progressed and his history opened up, it was easy to see how he became the man he was, and to admire the way he inadvertently did so much good (even if he was doing it because he thought someone was an idiot who couldn’t do the job properly). This message about deeds speaking louder than words is a good one. And I really liked how Backman described the cat’s behaviour. The cat might have been my favourite character.

So I did get sucked into the story in spite of myself and I appreciated how everything wrapped up. And yes I did have to suppress a few tears. So now I can say I’ve finally read a Backman book. Not sure when I’d get around to another of his books, but at least that’s one read. ( )
  rabbitprincess | Apr 12, 2019 |
I was on the fence when I first started this. Ove is curmudgeon, and I utterly loathed how he treated some folks, in particular folks in customer service. But ... it won me over in the end. In no small part, I'm sure, because Ove reminds me of my dad. It is funny and beautiful and moving. It is true to humanity in the shaping of its characters. I laughed some. I teared up some. I, who am chronically averse to romance, loved how he felt about his wife. It's easy to see why this was an international sensation. ( )
  Zoes_Human | Apr 9, 2019 |
I enjoyed this one but I wasn’t wowed by it. It was cute and I liked how the story played out. Ove made his way into my heart. I know several grumpy old men like him. 4 🌟 ( )
  karenvg3 | Mar 15, 2019 |
For grumpy old men and those of us who love them, a sweet, funny character portrait of one. I laughed and cried many times throughout the book. It recalled A Confederacy of Dunces for me- anyone else? ( )
  pdill8 | Mar 12, 2019 |
Den svenske suksessbloggeren Fredrik Backman drar oss gjennom en forutsigbar fortelling som trykker på alle de rette knappene inntil vi er trygt plassert innenfor vår egen komfortsone.
added by annek49 | editNRK, Knut Hoem (May 9, 2013)

Livet är obegripligt, världen är läskig och det går inte att skydda sig mot den. Fredrik Backman berättar underhållande om botemedlet i sin debutroman.
added by annek49 | editDN, Lotta Olsson (Jan 14, 2013)

Genom humorns prisma belyser ”En man som heter Ove” teman som åldrande, vänskap, sorg, livslust och den föränderliga mansrollen. Boken är varken behärskad eller finputsad – delar är återvunna från Café-bloggen och har skarvats in lite slarvigt – men den är en skruvad och gripande romandebut som mycket väl kan vara början på ett stort humoristiskt författarskap.

This word-of-mouth bestseller has sold more than 650,000 copies in Sweden and has been a hit across Europe. It deserves to do at least as well here. I loved A Man Called Ove so much that I started to ration how much I read to prolong my time with this cantankerous, low-key, misunderstood man. If you enjoyed Rachel Joyce’s marvellous bestseller, The Unlikely Pilgrimage Of Harold Fry, you will love this book.

Each short chapter of A Man Called Ove could stand alone as a beautifully crafted short story. Bring the chapters together and you have the most uplifting, life-affirming and often comic tale of how kindness, love and happiness can be found in the most unlikely places

Backman's tale of 59-yea-old curmudgeon, Ove, not only captured the hearts of Backman's fellow Swedes, but has also swept across Europe as a word-of-mouth best-seller; a domino effect that suggests community spirit and social responsibility isn't quite so lacking as we're often told it is....On occasion the slightly repetitive tone becomes cloying, but Backman can tickle the funny bone and tug on the heart strings when he needs to, and is a clever enough storyteller to not overindulge in either.

For those of you who don't want your fiction to make you feel warm and fuzzy inside, A Man Called Ove isn't for you. Yet it's surprisingly cheering to think how many people have embraced this simple but heartwarming novel.

Backman, Fredrikprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Soidro, SiiriToimetajasecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sybesma, EdithTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Walker, JoanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Werner, StefanieÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dear Neda. It's always meant to make you laugh. Always.
Ove is fifty-nine.
Death is a strange thing. People live their whole lives as if it does not exist, and yet it's often one of the great motivations for living. Some of us, in time, become so conscious of it that we live harder, more obstinately, with more fury. Some need its constant presence to even be aware of its antithesis. Others become so preoccupied with it that they go into the waiting room long before it has announced its arrival. We fear it, yet most of us fear more than anything that it may take someone other than ourselves. For the greatest fear of death is always that it will pass us by. And leave us there alone.
Another silence, as if two gunmen have suddenly realized they have forgotten to bring their pistols.
Then Mum died. And Dad grew even quieter. As if she took away with her the few words he'd possessed.
Had Ove been the sort of man who contemplated how and when one became the sort of man one was, he might have said this was the day he learned that right has to be right.
He contented himself with remembering that on this day he'd decided to be as little unlike his father as possible.

Meet Ove. He’s a curmudgeon—the kind of man who points at people he dislikes as if they were burglars caught outside his bedroom window. He has staunch principles, strict routines, and a short fuse. People call him “the bitter neighbor from hell.” But must Ove be bitter just because he doesn’t walk around with a smile plastered to his face all the time?

Behind the cranky exterior there is a story and a sadness. So when one November morning a chatty young couple with two chatty young daughters move in next door and accidentally flatten Ove’s mailbox, it is the lead-in to a comical and heartwarming tale of unkempt cats, unexpected friendship, and the ancient art of backing up a U-Haul. All of which will change one cranky old man and a local residents’ association to their very foundations.

Meet Ove. He's a curmudgeon; the kind of man who points at people he dislikes as if they were burglars caught outside his bedroom window. He has staunch principles, strict routines, and a short fuse. People call him 'the bitter neighbour from hell'. But must Ove be bitter just because he doesn't walk around with a smile plastered to his face all the time? Behind the cranky exterior there is a story and a sadness. So when one November morning a chatty young couple with two chatty young daughters move in next door and accidentally flatten Ove's mailbox, it is the lead-in to a comical and heartwarming tale of unkempt cats, unexpected friendship, and the ancient art of backing up a U-Haul. All of which will change one cranky old man and a local residents' association to their very foundations.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,118,190 books! | Top bar: Always visible