No title (2012)

Title:
Authors:
Info:
Collections:

A Man Called Ove: A Novel by Fredrik Backman (Author) (2012)

English (150)  German (5)  Spanish (2)  Danish (2)  Finnish (1)  Dutch (1)  Piratical (1)  Norwegian (1)  Swedish (1)  English (164)
I absolutely loved this this book. The feels are strong with this one. I cried, I laughed out loud, I thoroughly enjoyed this novel. It excels in not only having great characters but in my favorite part of stories, character development, it delves deep into why the character does what he does and thinks how he thinks. The main character Ove from the beginning seems like a grumpy old man who wants things done his way, the "right way", and disgruntled about pretty much everything. As I read on, I found myself liking him, disliking him, rooting for him, happy for him, sad for him, and whole lot of everything in between. As the people around him chip away at the grumpy stubborn exterior, me as the reader felt my impression of him change as well. This is a feel good story but one that does a great job of making you reflect on your own life, the people you love, and the people you've lost. Thank you Fredrik Backman for a excellent story and experience.

I received this book through a Goodreads FirstReads giveaway ( )
  Wushogun | Nov 30, 2016 |
Delightful story of a Swedish curmudgeon cursing at the stupidity of others while he grieves for his wife. Funny, wise and a happy ending. Do you drive a Saab? This question determines the worthiness of others in his small neighborhood, and most fail. It takes a cranky, persistent Persian lady who moves in with her children and idiot husband (he doesn't drive a Saab and can't fix anything) who reveals Ove's deeply hidden humanity. Highly recommended. ( )
  bblum | Nov 28, 2016 |
This book could be viewed a few ways:
- an overly twee read about a curmudgeon with a heart of gold who is thawed out by a lovingly diverse group of stereotypes
- an excuse for a lifetime of passive-aggressiveness and misanthropy
- a musing on the effects of childhood trauma
- a story about grief in a person with a personality disorder
Yeah. I wasn't unaffected by it while reading it --shit, you'd have to have a personality disorder not to be moved, but you'd also have to be slightly brain dead not to recognize the manipulation.

Too harsh? I'm going to get roasted at book club.

But my dad had one one the very few Saab 9?s probably in the whole state of Iowa in the 60s so YEAH!
1 vote jjaylynny | Nov 12, 2016 |
A funny and touching story. Not too sentimental but a redemptive tale for all of us grumpy old men. ( )
  Doondeck | Nov 11, 2016 |
Review: A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman

This is an amazing book. It was well-written and well developed characters. It’s hard to review a book when it is great because you don’t want to put any spoilers. I enjoyed it and thought the author was splendid with all details that enhanced the story to its fullest. There were times of sadness but the love was there also. I think the chosen characters is what made this book so good. Some of the story is narrated through flashbacks which is helpful so the reader knows all the ins and outs of Ove’s life.

Ove as the main character, a fifty-nine year old man was terrific. He showed anger and grumpiness and was well organized with plenty of structure in his world and felt he had no flaws. Ove is a widower who lost his wife to cancer. However, that’s not what made his disposition and behavior so bitter. It started long before his wife died and he still has everything of his wife’s including four of her coats still hanging on the coat rack by the door. The entire house still seemed like Sonya was still alive. Whenever he goes to her grave to change the flowers he talks to Sonya but sometimes he is disappointed because she doesn’t talk to him.

He is a sad man at times and decides he wants to die to be with Sonya. Ove attempts to take his life several time but there is always something happening or someone getting in his way to stop his attempts. Ove has now lost his job, new neighbors next door who backed into his mailbox, Rune, a friend off and on through the years who lives a few doors down from him has been diagnosed with senile dementia, he has inherited a cat that belongs to nobody, and unsavory people, as he calls them, don’t read the sign at the gate to the court residency homes, “That No Vehicle Can Go Into The Court Area”….Those who do are his worst enemies.

There is so much to this story that breaks your heart but also at times humorous. Wait until you meet the new neighbors, especially Parvaneh, an Iranian pregnant woman who keeps Ove on his toes ….The story is full of situations, events, and accidents but don’t worry, “Ove has it all under control”….. ( )
  Juan-banjo | Nov 8, 2016 |
Den svenske suksessbloggeren Fredrik Backman drar oss gjennom en forutsigbar fortelling som trykker på alle de rette knappene inntil vi er trygt plassert innenfor vår egen komfortsone.
added by annek49 | editNRK, Knut Hoem (May 9, 2013)

Livet är obegripligt, världen är läskig och det går inte att skydda sig mot den. Fredrik Backman berättar underhållande om botemedlet i sin debutroman.
added by annek49 | editDN, Lotta Olsson (Jan 14, 2013)

Genom humorns prisma belyser ”En man som heter Ove” teman som åldrande, vänskap, sorg, livslust och den föränderliga mansrollen. Boken är varken behärskad eller finputsad – delar är återvunna från Café-bloggen och har skarvats in lite slarvigt – men den är en skruvad och gripande romandebut som mycket väl kan vara början på ett stort humoristiskt författarskap.

This word-of-mouth bestseller has sold more than 650,000 copies in Sweden and has been a hit across Europe. It deserves to do at least as well here. I loved A Man Called Ove so much that I started to ration how much I read to prolong my time with this cantankerous, low-key, misunderstood man. If you enjoyed Rachel Joyce’s marvellous bestseller, The Unlikely Pilgrimage Of Harold Fry, you will love this book.

Each short chapter of A Man Called Ove could stand alone as a beautifully crafted short story. Bring the chapters together and you have the most uplifting, life-affirming and often comic tale of how kindness, love and happiness can be found in the most unlikely places

Backman's tale of 59-yea-old curmudgeon, Ove, not only captured the hearts of Backman's fellow Swedes, but has also swept across Europe as a word-of-mouth best-seller; a domino effect that suggests community spirit and social responsibility isn't quite so lacking as we're often told it is....On occasion the slightly repetitive tone becomes cloying, but Backman can tickle the funny bone and tug on the heart strings when he needs to, and is a clever enough storyteller to not overindulge in either.

For those of you who don't want your fiction to make you feel warm and fuzzy inside, A Man Called Ove isn't for you. Yet it's surprisingly cheering to think how many people have embraced this simple but heartwarming novel.

Backman, FredrikAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Due, Nina M.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Koch, HenningTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mennerich, LaurenceTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Newbern, GeorgeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ravnild, Louise ArdenfeltTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sybesma, EdithTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dear Neda. It's always meant to make you laugh. Always.
Ove is fifty-nine.
Death is a strange thing. People live their whole lives as if it does not exist, and yet it's often one of the great motivations for living. Some of us, in time, become so conscious of it that we live harder, more obstinately, with more fury. Some need its constant presence to even be aware of its antithesis. Others become so preoccupied with it that they go into the waiting room long before it has announced its arrival. We fear it, yet most of us fear more than anything that it may take someone other than ourselves. For the greatest fear of death is always that it will pass us by. And leave us there alone.

Meet Ove. He’s a curmudgeon—the kind of man who points at people he dislikes as if they were burglars caught outside his bedroom window. He has staunch principles, strict routines, and a short fuse. People call him “the bitter neighbor from hell.” But must Ove be bitter just because he doesn’t walk around with a smile plastered to his face all the time?

Behind the cranky exterior there is a story and a sadness. So when one November morning a chatty young couple with two chatty young daughters move in next door and accidentally flatten Ove’s mailbox, it is the lead-in to a comical and heartwarming tale of unkempt cats, unexpected friendship, and the ancient art of backing up a U-Haul. All of which will change one cranky old man and a local residents’ association to their very foundations.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,638,766 books! | Top bar: Always visible