En man som heter Ove by Fredrik Backman

En man som heter Ove (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Fredrik Backman, Torsten Wahlund

3193634,767 (4.32)16
Member:frswe
Title:En man som heter Ove
Authors:Fredrik Backman
Other authors:Torsten Wahlund
Info:Stockholm : Bonnier Audio, cop. 2012
Collections:Books read in Swedish, Read but unowned (inactive)
Rating:*****
Tags:Fiction, Swedish authors, Sweden, Audiobooks, Humor, Loneliness

A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman (Author) (2012)

Recently added bytbritny, private library, mmedeiros, sschaller, betscw, fredlib, Citizenjoyce, dreamydress48, msf59, suki1

English (30)  Danish (2)  Spanish (2)  Finnish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (36)
Ove is a crank. All knowing, opinionated, and unwilling to take any crap from anybody, he is the consummate curmudgeon. But he has some very good reasons for his grumpy attitude which the reader learns slowly through the alternating chapters of back-story. Ove has a soft spot only for his beloved wife, Sonja and maybe a stray cat, but when new neighbors move in, his gruff exterior is chipped away, little by little, like it or not. Ove, as we knew all along, has a big heart after all.

Loneliness, grief, love, and friendship are major themes and while the tone is especially light, there are serious topics addressed. Quirky, heartwarming, charming, funny, and profound. What a sweet and memorable read! ( )
  coppers | Jan 22, 2015 |
Ove is 59. Grumpy. Stubborn. Set in his ways, steadfast in his principles and with a peculiar sense of justice. He is also very lonely - mourning the loss of his late wife. In steps the persian neighbours - and in particular the woman Parvana. They form an unlikely bond that develops into a friendship - very slowly Ove is about to change. Reluctantly that is.

I didn’t really know what to think of the story at first - was sceptic - but then we begin to hear the back-story of Ove and his life and marriage - and what was only biting slapstick satire at startout became a very moving, funny, weird story - a story with heart and soul - about acceptance and tolerance and a second chance in life. ( )
2 vote ctpress | Jan 16, 2015 |
Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

Original Title: En man som heter Ove

When I first came across this book it reminded me of The 100-year-old man who climbed out the window and disappeared. And not just because it's also Swedish. I'm not able to comment if they are really alike or that it's just my imagination since The 100-year.... is still somewhere on my TBR.

Ove is the grumpy sort of man, and after failing to buy a computer (or possibly an iPad) he tries to kill himself. With even less success then he had in the Apple shop. Earlier this year I read a book called The Poor Man's Guide To Suicide (which was anything but a guide to suicide) and in the first part of this novel I just kept thinking 'This is that guide' as Ove surely tries a lot of different things.

I had some trouble connecting to the story or Ove during this first part. Ove makes his OCD checkrounds around his homing, comments on anything and after complaining about it he fixes all kinds of things for the younger people who live in the same street and don't know anything about central heating or how to use a ladder.

I had expected an easy read and it wasn't really giving me one. However, near the end I could finally care for Ove and reading became faster as well. In the end, I quite enjoyed myself, and looking back, I liked this book.

Thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for providing me with a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  Floratina | Jan 4, 2015 |
This book marks the end of my 50 books a year reading challenge for 2014. I couldn´t have picked a better book to seal the deal! A Man Called Ove is one of those books that I bought without researching it too much. I just liked the cover and the fact that it came cloth bound, so I picked it up at the bookstore. I gave it a quick glance and bought it. I didn´t read it right away; but I somehow picked it for my 50th book mark.
The first thing that called out to me as I started reading it, is that it was a blog turned into a book. Backman has a highly visited blog in Swedish that is very popular and is all about this man called Ove. After more than 1,000 people requested him to write a book about Ove, Backman decided to do it. I am a book freak, as many people know, and one of my goals in life -besides owning a cozy bookstore- is writing a book. I am planing to start with a bog and see how things go from there; so when I found out that Ove came from a blog, I took a liking to it right away. Now, on to the story.
Ove is 59 years old and he is one damn grumpy man. He is moody, sarcastic, bossy, stubborn and thinks that basically everyone around him is an idiot.
So...he´s very much like me.
Ove lost his beloved wife Sonja to cancer six months ago; and he just stopped living after that. He has been going through the motions of his life until he decides, after being forcefully retired from his job, to take his own life so he can be with Sonja again.
We get to know Ove real well in this book. We are told about his childhood and how he came to be so bitter all of a sudden. We are told about how and when he met Sonja and how he "saw the world in black and white. But she (Sonja) was colour. All the colour he had". We are told about his new neighbours: Parvaneh, Patrick and their girls, and how they come storming into his life: stirring it, turning it upside down and constantly botching up his suicide attempts. We are told, in the most beautiful of words, what it feels like to love someone; and, most sadly of all, how it feels to be the one that doesn´t die first.
All the time I was reading this book I felt like the author was reaching deep into the corners of my mind and my heart. I laughed, I got angry, I related to it and I cried like a schoolgirl when it was over. I can´t say enough times how beautifully written this book is and what a joy it was to read it. It now tops my list of beloved books sending Mr. Zafón to second place.
I can only hope that someone translates this to Swedish so that Mr. Backman can see how much his book means to me. Thank you for writing it, sir: you did a fantastic job out of it.
And please read it! You will not regret it. ( )
2 vote AleAleta | Nov 24, 2014 |
i am a bit unsure about how i feel about this book. i had managed to avoid reading too much about it, and avoided full reviews - so my expectations weren't sky-high. but then a dear friend (without going into detail) told me it was her favourite read this year. so then i really wanted to love it since it was something she loved. but i just didn't get there. the premise is interesting man's wife dies. some time passes. man decides to kill himself since life is too hard without her. then his suicide attempts keep getting thwarted.. the characters were okay. i did feel like they weren't as well developed as they could have been. and at times i felt as though we were just skimming the surface of some important issues. it seems the book was going for quirky, dark humour, but this also didn't fully get there for me. by the end, it got a bit too sentimental and tidy for me.so i'm scratching my head over this one. ( )
  DawsonOakes | Nov 23, 2014 |
Den svenske suksessbloggeren Fredrik Backman drar oss gjennom en forutsigbar fortelling som trykker på alle de rette knappene inntil vi er trygt plassert innenfor vår egen komfortsone.
added by annek49 | editNRK, Knut Hoem (May 9, 2013)

Livet är obegripligt, världen är läskig och det går inte att skydda sig mot den. Fredrik Backman berättar underhållande om botemedlet i sin debutroman.
added by annek49 | editDN, Lotta Olsson (Jan 14, 2013)

Genom humorns prisma belyser ”En man som heter Ove” teman som åldrande, vänskap, sorg, livslust och den föränderliga mansrollen. Boken är varken behärskad eller finputsad – delar är återvunna från Café-bloggen och har skarvats in lite slarvigt – men den är en skruvad och gripande romandebut som mycket väl kan vara början på ett stort humoristiskt författarskap.

This word-of-mouth bestseller has sold more than 650,000 copies in Sweden and has been a hit across Europe. It deserves to do at least as well here. I loved A Man Called Ove so much that I started to ration how much I read to prolong my time with this cantankerous, low-key, misunderstood man. If you enjoyed Rachel Joyce’s marvellous bestseller, The Unlikely Pilgrimage Of Harold Fry, you will love this book.

Each short chapter of A Man Called Ove could stand alone as a beautifully crafted short story. Bring the chapters together and you have the most uplifting, life-affirming and often comic tale of how kindness, love and happiness can be found in the most unlikely places

Backman's tale of 59-yea-old curmudgeon, Ove, not only captured the hearts of Backman's fellow Swedes, but has also swept across Europe as a word-of-mouth best-seller; a domino effect that suggests community spirit and social responsibility isn't quite so lacking as we're often told it is....On occasion the slightly repetitive tone becomes cloying, but Backman can tickle the funny bone and tug on the heart strings when he needs to, and is a clever enough storyteller to not overindulge in either.

For those of you who don't want your fiction to make you feel warm and fuzzy inside, A Man Called Ove isn't for you. Yet it's surprisingly cheering to think how many people have embraced this simple but heartwarming novel.

Backman, FredrikAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Due, Nina M.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mennerich, LaurenceTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ravnild, Louise ArdenfeltTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sybesma, EdithTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dear Neda It's always meant to make you laugh. Always
Ove är 59 år gammal.
Ove is fifty- nine.

from amazon com In this bestselling and delightfully quirky debut novel from Sweden, a grumpy yet loveable man finds his solitary world turned on its head when a boisterous young family moves in next door.

Meet Ove. He’s a curmudgeon—the kind of man who points at people he dislikes as if they were burglars caught outside his bedroom window. He has staunch principles, strict routines, and a short fuse. People call him “the bitter neighbor from hell.” But must Ove be bitter just because he doesn’t walk around with a smile plastered to his face all the time?

Behind the cranky exterior there is a story and a sadness. So when one November morning a chatty young couple with two chatty young daughters move in next door and accidentally flatten Ove’s mailbox, it is the lead-in to a comical and heartwarming tale of unkempt cats, unexpected friendship, and the ancient art of backing up a U-Haul. All of which will change one cranky old man and a local residents’ association to their very foundations.

A feel-good story in the spirit of The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry and Major Pettigrew’s Last Stand, Fredrik Backman’s novel about the angry old man next door is a thoughtful and charming exploration of the profound impact one life has on countless others.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,066,115 books! | Top bar: Always visible