No title (2012)

Title:
Authors:
Info:
Collections:

A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman (2012)

English (207)  German (5)  Spanish (2)  Danish (2)  Finnish (1)  Dutch (1)  Piratical (1)  Norwegian (1)  Swedish (1)  All (221)
Ove is such a comic character but what is memorable about the book is the streams of tears I shed at Ove's kindness, his unlikely friendship with his new neighbour Parvaneh, and at his death. What is hilarious is also the number of times Ove tried to commit suicide but he always ends up thwarted. ( )
  siok | Mar 26, 2017 |
This isn't that long, but it was hard to finish. Dialogue is clearly painful for this writer; scenes are constructed to use the minimum possible, by all characters (not just the cranky old protagonist). Ove is well-sketched (what there is of him), but the characters adjacent to him are props or outlines, and the relationships between them feel uncanny and forced, in large part because the aforementioned lack of dialogue means you don't really get to see them interact except to exasperate each other.

The writer has other annoying mannerisms that indicate he was writing for the screen rather than the page; it may well be that the movie adaptation proves richer and more enjoyable than the book. The cat in particular was clearly written as a Muppet and not a real cat. ( )
  joeld | Mar 24, 2017 |
I really don't know where to begin with this book. First of all, I absolutely loved, adored, and was enthralled with it. Ove is a man you will not forget very soon. The book was originally written in Swedish and translated into English. In the beginning we meet a man who has just lost his wife of many years to cancer, and he, for the life of him, can't figure out why he is still alive when his whole world is gone. Ove is a curmudgeon - quiet, taciturn and very, very principled. His wife, although we don't meet her except through Ove's memories, was sweetness, light and laughter and best of all, she loved Ove. Ove is just existing through his empty days until the day a young couple move in next door and they begin to take over looking after Ove, although they would never admit that to him. The woman is Iraqi and the man is Asian, but they don't say what country he's from. They have two darling little girls, three and seven. This family and some other people and a lost stray cat enter Ove's world and change his life. He finds a purpose to his life again, and although it would never do for Ove to admit he was happy, he reallly is. The book is so sad in places, especially when we first meet the heartbroken Ove, but it is also extremely funny as we watch Ove change in spite of himself. The language, even in this translation, is so wonderully real and the picture that is painted of Ove and his many hangers-on. so realistic! There are so many quotes worth repeating to try to depict the beauty of this book. I had trouble choosing one, but went with this one. "Had Ove been the sort of man who contemplated how and when one became the sort of man one was, he might have said that was the day he leanred that right was right." This was the day that he, as a young teenager, had found a wallet with money in it, and his father told him to let his conscience tell him how to deal with it. He turned the wallet with all the money inside in to the Lost and Found at his father's place of work. Ove always tried to do what was right, and his biggest wish was to be as much like his father as possible. Ove lost his father when he was 16 years old. I can't recommend this book enough. Read it, and your heart will be stolen by a man called Ove too. ( )
  Romonko | Mar 21, 2017 |
I was skeptical about how much I might like this book -- mainly because it was on so many "best of" lists, and I didn't think it could possibly hold up under that much pressure to be a great read. In the end, though, I cried three times in the book, and any book that engages me so much that I am moved to tears automatically gets 5 stars. ( )
  agjuba | Mar 19, 2017 |
An easy read that shows how a frustrated gentleman goes about his daily life and a range of somewhat funny circumstances
  Annabel1954 | Mar 19, 2017 |
Den svenske suksessbloggeren Fredrik Backman drar oss gjennom en forutsigbar fortelling som trykker på alle de rette knappene inntil vi er trygt plassert innenfor vår egen komfortsone.
added by annek49 | editNRK, Knut Hoem (May 9, 2013)

Livet är obegripligt, världen är läskig och det går inte att skydda sig mot den. Fredrik Backman berättar underhållande om botemedlet i sin debutroman.
added by annek49 | editDN, Lotta Olsson (Jan 14, 2013)

Genom humorns prisma belyser ”En man som heter Ove” teman som åldrande, vänskap, sorg, livslust och den föränderliga mansrollen. Boken är varken behärskad eller finputsad – delar är återvunna från Café-bloggen och har skarvats in lite slarvigt – men den är en skruvad och gripande romandebut som mycket väl kan vara början på ett stort humoristiskt författarskap.

This word-of-mouth bestseller has sold more than 650,000 copies in Sweden and has been a hit across Europe. It deserves to do at least as well here. I loved A Man Called Ove so much that I started to ration how much I read to prolong my time with this cantankerous, low-key, misunderstood man. If you enjoyed Rachel Joyce’s marvellous bestseller, The Unlikely Pilgrimage Of Harold Fry, you will love this book.

Each short chapter of A Man Called Ove could stand alone as a beautifully crafted short story. Bring the chapters together and you have the most uplifting, life-affirming and often comic tale of how kindness, love and happiness can be found in the most unlikely places

Backman's tale of 59-yea-old curmudgeon, Ove, not only captured the hearts of Backman's fellow Swedes, but has also swept across Europe as a word-of-mouth best-seller; a domino effect that suggests community spirit and social responsibility isn't quite so lacking as we're often told it is....On occasion the slightly repetitive tone becomes cloying, but Backman can tickle the funny bone and tug on the heart strings when he needs to, and is a clever enough storyteller to not overindulge in either.

For those of you who don't want your fiction to make you feel warm and fuzzy inside, A Man Called Ove isn't for you. Yet it's surprisingly cheering to think how many people have embraced this simple but heartwarming novel.

Backman, Fredrikprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Due, Nina M.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Koch, HenningTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mennerich, LaurenceTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Newbern, GeorgeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ravnild, Louise ArdenfeltTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sybesma, EdithTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dear Neda. It's always meant to make you laugh. Always.
Ove is fifty-nine.
Death is a strange thing. People live their whole lives as if it does not exist, and yet it's often one of the great motivations for living. Some of us, in time, become so conscious of it that we live harder, more obstinately, with more fury. Some need its constant presence to even be aware of its antithesis. Others become so preoccupied with it that they go into the waiting room long before it has announced its arrival. We fear it, yet most of us fear more than anything that it may take someone other than ourselves. For the greatest fear of death is always that it will pass us by. And leave us there alone.

Meet Ove. He’s a curmudgeon—the kind of man who points at people he dislikes as if they were burglars caught outside his bedroom window. He has staunch principles, strict routines, and a short fuse. People call him “the bitter neighbor from hell.” But must Ove be bitter just because he doesn’t walk around with a smile plastered to his face all the time?

Behind the cranky exterior there is a story and a sadness. So when one November morning a chatty young couple with two chatty young daughters move in next door and accidentally flatten Ove’s mailbox, it is the lead-in to a comical and heartwarming tale of unkempt cats, unexpected friendship, and the ancient art of backing up a U-Haul. All of which will change one cranky old man and a local residents’ association to their very foundations.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,264,407 books! | Top bar: Always visible