En man som heter Ove by Fredrik Backman

En man som heter Ove (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Fredrik Backman, Torsten Wahlund

Info:Stockholm : Bonnier Audio, cop. 2012
Collections:Books read in Swedish, Read but unowned
Rating:*****
Tags:Fiction, Swedish authors, Sweden, Audiobooks, Humor, Loneliness

A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman (Author) (2012)

Recently added bySethur, jan48, VenusofUrbino, private library, erkaperk, phreadingcentre, mjblois, ollonborren, pdebolt

English (27)  Danish (2)  Spanish (2)  Finnish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (33)
This book marks the end of my 50 books a year reading challenge for 2014. I couldn´t have picked a better book to seal the deal! A Man Called Ove is one of those books that I bought without researching it too much. I just liked the cover and the fact that it came cloth bound, so I picked it up at the bookstore. I gave it a quick glance and bought it. I didn´t read it right away; but I somehow picked it for my 50th book mark.
The first thing that called out to me as I started reading it, is that it was a blog turned into a book. Backman has a highly visited blog in Swedish that is very popular and is all about this man called Ove. After more than 1,000 people requested him to write a book about Ove, Backman decided to do it. I am a book freak, as many people know, and one of my goals in life -besides owning a cozy bookstore- is writing a book. I am planing to start with a bog and see how things go from there; so when I found out that Ove came from a blog, I took a liking to it right away. Now, on to the story.
Ove is 59 years old and he is one damn grumpy man. He is moody, sarcastic, bossy, stubborn and thinks that basically everyone around him is an idiot.
So...he´s very much like me.
Ove lost his beloved wife Sonja to cancer six months ago; and he just stopped living after that. He has been going through the motions of his life until he decides, after being forcefully retired from his job, to take his own life so he can be with Sonja again.
We get to know Ove real well in this book. We are told about his childhood and how he came to be so bitter all of a sudden. We are told about how and when he met Sonja and how he "saw the world in black and white. But she (Sonja) was colour. All the colour he had". We are told about his new neighbours: Parvaneh, Patrick and their girls, and how they come storming into his life: stirring it, turning it upside down and constantly botching up his suicide attempts. We are told, in the most beautiful of words, what it feels like to love someone; and, most sadly of all, how it feels to be the one that doesn´t die first.
All the time I was reading this book I felt like the author was reaching deep into the corners of my mind and my heart. I laughed, I got angry, I related to it and I cried like a schoolgirl when it was over. I can´t say enough times how beautifully written this book is and what a joy it was to read it. It now tops my list of beloved books sending Mr. Zafón to second place.
I can only hope that someone translates this to Swedish so that Mr. Backman can see how much his book means to me. Thank you for writing it, sir: you did a fantastic job out of it.
And please read it! You will not regret it. ( )
  AleAleta | Nov 24, 2014 |
i am a bit unsure about how i feel about this book. i had managed to avoid reading too much about it, and avoided full reviews - so my expectations weren't sky-high. but then a dear friend (without going into detail) told me it was her favourite read this year. so then i really wanted to love it since it was something she loved. but i just didn't get there. the premise is interesting man's wife dies. some time passes. man decides to kill himself since life is too hard without her. then his suicide attempts keep getting thwarted.. the characters were okay. i did feel like they weren't as well developed as they could have been. and at times i felt as though we were just skimming the surface of some important issues. it seems the book was going for quirky, dark humour, but this also didn't fully get there for me. by the end, it got a bit too sentimental and tidy for me.so i'm scratching my head over this one. ( )
  DawsonOakes | Nov 23, 2014 |
It is difficult not to give 5/5 for A Man Called Ove, for the book is difficult to set apart from the man, and the man, well, let's face it, you're either like him or would like to be a little bit more like him.

Backman's prose is particular, in a way that everything that he decides to say and everything that he decides to leave out contributes something to how much we know and understand Ove. Most of the prose is dedicated to how Ove feels and thinks, though as the story progresses, we get to know others a bit more. But the story belongs to Ove. He's the disgruntled hero of his own sodding life, if you will, and nobody will leave him alone to die in peace. Perhaps at around the midpoint of the novel, the story becomes a bit ridiculous. Ove thinks so. So does the reader. It becomes a bit too good to e true. But then again, as Ove would agree, if something exceptional did not happen, then who would read about this bloody grump.

In a way, Ove is a ode to the men (always men...) who used to be able to build things with their bare hands, things that lasted, things that made you proud for having built them, for having bought them. In a way, Ove is an ode to times past, an anti-consumerist ballad. This part was perhaps the smartest, most interesting, and in the end, for me, the most memorable part of the novel.

A Man Called Ove is also a bit of an ode to the human connection. Call it love, call it friendship, call it rivalry, call it whatever you like. The book oozes with intensity. Ove's longing and anger, his loss and his painful love weave a story that is touching. The sense of humor that Backman injects as the inevitable events drag Ove to unwillingly form more human connections (with mostly imbeciles, Ove would say, nodding to himself here) certainly helps lift the spirits of a story that otherwise could be too sentimental or depressing.

I usually think a bit about who I might recommend a book to. I am having difficulty trying to find anyone who would not like A Man Called Ove. Perhaps those who hate Saab might want to avoid this book (Volvo fans should be OK, but if you own a BMW, well, then...)

Thanks to Goodreads First Reads and the publisher for a copy of the book for my review. ( )
  bluepigeon | Nov 20, 2014 |
The heart-breaking story of a seemingly unlovable but curmudgeon with a strict sense of right and wrong who suffers a loss from which he does not think he can recover. But life isn't done with Ove yet. The author deals with serious topics in a genuine way among passages of deadpan humor like "The clown looked surprised. Which isn't an entirely successful look for a clown." "'One always has a bit of sheet metal,' says Ove, as if this was absolutely beyond dispute." Some of the story lines are a bit too easily settled but for such a charming and lovely book, who cares? ( )
  bookappeal | Oct 10, 2014 |
Genomgående väldigt fin och mysig historia, men stilistiskt måhända lite repetitiv och en viss "o så levde de lyckliga i alla sina dagar"-syndrom i vissa avseenden. ( )
  zojjz | Sep 29, 2014 |
Den svenske suksessbloggeren Fredrik Backman drar oss gjennom en forutsigbar fortelling som trykker på alle de rette knappene inntil vi er trygt plassert innenfor vår egen komfortsone.
added by annek49 | editNRK, Knut Hoem (May 9, 2013)

Livet är obegripligt, världen är läskig och det går inte att skydda sig mot den. Fredrik Backman berättar underhållande om botemedlet i sin debutroman.
added by annek49 | editDN, Lotta Olsson (Jan 14, 2013)

Genom humorns prisma belyser ”En man som heter Ove” teman som åldrande, vänskap, sorg, livslust och den föränderliga mansrollen. Boken är varken behärskad eller finputsad – delar är återvunna från Café-bloggen och har skarvats in lite slarvigt – men den är en skruvad och gripande romandebut som mycket väl kan vara början på ett stort humoristiskt författarskap.

This word-of-mouth bestseller has sold more than 650,000 copies in Sweden and has been a hit across Europe. It deserves to do at least as well here. I loved A Man Called Ove so much that I started to ration how much I read to prolong my time with this cantankerous, low-key, misunderstood man. If you enjoyed Rachel Joyce’s marvellous bestseller, The Unlikely Pilgrimage Of Harold Fry, you will love this book.

Each short chapter of A Man Called Ove could stand alone as a beautifully crafted short story. Bring the chapters together and you have the most uplifting, life-affirming and often comic tale of how kindness, love and happiness can be found in the most unlikely places

Backman's tale of 59-yea-old curmudgeon, Ove, not only captured the hearts of Backman's fellow Swedes, but has also swept across Europe as a word-of-mouth best-seller; a domino effect that suggests community spirit and social responsibility isn't quite so lacking as we're often told it is....On occasion the slightly repetitive tone becomes cloying, but Backman can tickle the funny bone and tug on the heart strings when he needs to, and is a clever enough storyteller to not overindulge in either.

For those of you who don't want your fiction to make you feel warm and fuzzy inside, A Man Called Ove isn't for you. Yet it's surprisingly cheering to think how many people have embraced this simple but heartwarming novel.

Backman, FredrikAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Due, Nina M.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mennerich, LaurenceTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ravnild, Louise ArdenfeltTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sybesma, EdithTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ove är 59 år gammal.

from amazon com In this bestselling and delightfully quirky debut novel from Sweden, a grumpy yet loveable man finds his solitary world turned on its head when a boisterous young family moves in next door.

Meet Ove. He’s a curmudgeon—the kind of man who points at people he dislikes as if they were burglars caught outside his bedroom window. He has staunch principles, strict routines, and a short fuse. People call him “the bitter neighbor from hell.” But must Ove be bitter just because he doesn’t walk around with a smile plastered to his face all the time?

Behind the cranky exterior there is a story and a sadness. So when one November morning a chatty young couple with two chatty young daughters move in next door and accidentally flatten Ove’s mailbox, it is the lead-in to a comical and heartwarming tale of unkempt cats, unexpected friendship, and the ancient art of backing up a U-Haul. All of which will change one cranky old man and a local residents’ association to their very foundations.

A feel-good story in the spirit of The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry and Major Pettigrew’s Last Stand, Fredrik Backman’s novel about the angry old man next door is a thoughtful and charming exploration of the profound impact one life has on countless others.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,363,329 books! | Top bar: Always visible