En man som heter Ove by Fredrik Backman

En man som heter Ove (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Fredrik Backman, Torsten Wahlund

Info:Stockholm : Bonnier Audio, cop. 2012
Collections:Books read in Swedish, Read but unowned
Rating:*****
Tags:Fiction, Swedish authors, Sweden, Audiobooks, Humor, Loneliness

A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman (Author) (2012)

English (26)  Danish (2)  Finnish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (30)
I want to buy this book so I can drown it in my tears instead of threatening my Kindle with the dreaded bag of rice again. The story's start is misleading - grumpy old man doing grumpy old man things, so how can you even like this guy?

But wait! There's more.

Ove's story is beautiful and haunting and resonates with me on a level that I, a twenty-something white American girl, don't fully understand. The book did a beautiful slow reveal of Ove's past with his wife and gave insight into his neighbors' lives and why on earth they would put up with his shenanigans. It's funny, it's moving, it's cute, and there's a delightful Cat Annoyance too. The writing is good and solid, which I'm uncertain is in spite of or due to the translation from Swedish, but this book is intensely quotable. I'm definitely getting the Swedish version and giving it to my grandpa, since he is Ove in many ways.

Honestly, it reminds me of the movie Gran Torino (one of my favorites, although Ove is considerably less racist), and as soon as I made the connection I couldn't stop picturing Ove as Clint Eastwood. I would be okay with this when Hollywood inevitably gets ahold of this story and decides to... well, Hollywood all over it. The Swedish version is/was being filmed - or I figure as much since I can't read Swedish - so it's only a matter of time.

I'll still cry. Probably.

Disclaimer: I did receive this book for free via NetGalley, but that has in no way influenced my review. ( )
  strongasanoak | Sep 22, 2014 |
Backman, Fredrik. A Man Called Ove. 8 CDs. unabridged. 9 hrs 9 mins. Dreamscape Media. 2014. ISBN 9781629239804.

A Man Called Ove, the first novel from Swedish breakout novelist, Fredrik Backman, has found immediate worldwide success and quickly became an international bestseller. A stereotypical grumpy old man, Ove, finds his quiet solitude changing when a young family moves in next door. Ove is the kind of man that yells at kids to get off his lawn and is the bane of the local resident's association. He may come across as gruff and bitter but behind the unpleasant exterior there is a dignified man with a story of love and heartbreak. The young couple next door and a scruffy cat may be the perfect combination to break Ove out of his shell and to help him truly start living. This adorable tale may start painstakingly slow but quickly gathers speed as Ove's neighbors start testing his patience and breaking him out of his sad routine. The English edition of the audiobook, is narrated beautifully by the talented voice and film actor, George Newbern. Witty and full of heart this is a tale that readers of all ages will enjoy.​ - Erin Cataldi, Johnson County Public Library, Franklin, IN​ ( )
  ecataldi | Sep 22, 2014 |

strongasanoak | Sep 21, 2014 |
Den svenske suksessbloggeren Fredrik Backman drar oss gjennom en forutsigbar fortelling som trykker på alle de rette knappene inntil vi er trygt plassert innenfor vår egen komfortsone.
added by annek49 | editNRK, Knut Hoem (May 9, 2013)

Livet är obegripligt, världen är läskig och det går inte att skydda sig mot den. Fredrik Backman berättar underhållande om botemedlet i sin debutroman.
added by annek49 | editDN, Lotta Olsson (Jan 14, 2013)

Genom humorns prisma belyser ”En man som heter Ove” teman som åldrande, vänskap, sorg, livslust och den föränderliga mansrollen. Boken är varken behärskad eller finputsad – delar är återvunna från Café-bloggen och har skarvats in lite slarvigt – men den är en skruvad och gripande romandebut som mycket väl kan vara början på ett stort humoristiskt författarskap.

Backman, FredrikAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Due, Nina M.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mennerich, LaurenceTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ravnild, Louise ArdenfeltTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sybesma, EdithTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ove är 59 år gammal.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,821,482 books! | Top bar: Always visible