No title (2012)

Title:
Authors:
Info:
Collections:

A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman (Author) (2012)

English (117)  German (5)  Spanish (2)  Danish (2)  Finnish (1)  Dutch (1)  Piratical (1)  Norwegian (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (131)
I realized a while ago in life that I am often given chances I didn't even know I wanted.

"A Man Called Ove" by Fredrik Backman is all about these kind of chances. It's a book about grief and loss, about the inability to die even if you want to, and about opportunities no one knew they needed and couldn't have hoped for. I couldn't put it down. ( )
  lgaikwad | Jun 22, 2016 |
The hardest books to write about are the ones we love the most. It becomes nearly impossible to distill everything that made the book so wonderful into a few paragraphs. The desire to include everything battles with the desire to say, “Just read it!” That’s the case with A Man Called Ove by Fredrick Backman, a Swedish novel translated into English a few years ago.

I resisted reading A Man Called Ove because the cover made me think it might be a bit twee. Seriously, does that look like the cover of a book that will have you laughing while you cry and crying while you laugh? I think it does not represent the book at all.

Ove, pronounced OOH-vuh, is the grumpy old man of the neighborhood, the one who makes sure every rule of the residents’ association is followed to the letter. He begins his day with an inspection of the neighborhood, walking his route first thing in the morning, making sure the glass is in the glass and the metal in the metal recycling, for example. People think he is bitter, but really he is grieving. His wife died recently and he is determined to join her as soon as he can.

Fortunately, his plans go hilariously awry as he is constantly interrupted by his neighbors who drag him kicking and screaming into their lives. Just read it!

I loved A Man Called Ove so much. I laughed so many times it was ridiculous. Of course, the story is heartwarming, but not with obvious emotional manipulation. There is something so real about Ove. I think most of my family will recognize him – the angry on the surface bitter man whose heart is full of love. The old-fashioned man whose competence has become old-fashioned, who has little time for words and sentiments, but who daily demonstrates his decency and humanity in service to others. Yes, he is familiar. I think we all know him. Just read it!

https://tonstantweaderreviews.wordpress.com/2016/06/21/a-man-called-ove-by-fredrick-backman/ ( )
2 vote Tonstant.Weader | Jun 21, 2016 |
I was very pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed this book. Ove is an archetype we've seen many times: the cranky older man who doesn't understand kids these days and says nobody wants to work anymore and they just don't make things like they used to. But over a series of tales from his childhood up through to the present day, full of clever turns of phrase and evocative analogies, this touching novel teaches the reader just how a man called Ove came to be. A quick and simple read, but with great depth. ( )
1 vote kristi_test_05 | Jun 20, 2016 |
  kristi_test_05 | Jun 20, 2016 |
  kristi_test_04 | Jun 17, 2016 |
Den svenske suksessbloggeren Fredrik Backman drar oss gjennom en forutsigbar fortelling som trykker på alle de rette knappene inntil vi er trygt plassert innenfor vår egen komfortsone.
added by annek49 | editNRK, Knut Hoem (May 9, 2013)

Livet är obegripligt, världen är läskig och det går inte att skydda sig mot den. Fredrik Backman berättar underhållande om botemedlet i sin debutroman.
added by annek49 | editDN, Lotta Olsson (Jan 14, 2013)

Genom humorns prisma belyser ”En man som heter Ove” teman som åldrande, vänskap, sorg, livslust och den föränderliga mansrollen. Boken är varken behärskad eller finputsad – delar är återvunna från Café-bloggen och har skarvats in lite slarvigt – men den är en skruvad och gripande romandebut som mycket väl kan vara början på ett stort humoristiskt författarskap.

This word-of-mouth bestseller has sold more than 650,000 copies in Sweden and has been a hit across Europe. It deserves to do at least as well here. I loved A Man Called Ove so much that I started to ration how much I read to prolong my time with this cantankerous, low-key, misunderstood man. If you enjoyed Rachel Joyce’s marvellous bestseller, The Unlikely Pilgrimage Of Harold Fry, you will love this book.

Each short chapter of A Man Called Ove could stand alone as a beautifully crafted short story. Bring the chapters together and you have the most uplifting, life-affirming and often comic tale of how kindness, love and happiness can be found in the most unlikely places

Backman's tale of 59-yea-old curmudgeon, Ove, not only captured the hearts of Backman's fellow Swedes, but has also swept across Europe as a word-of-mouth best-seller; a domino effect that suggests community spirit and social responsibility isn't quite so lacking as we're often told it is....On occasion the slightly repetitive tone becomes cloying, but Backman can tickle the funny bone and tug on the heart strings when he needs to, and is a clever enough storyteller to not overindulge in either.

For those of you who don't want your fiction to make you feel warm and fuzzy inside, A Man Called Ove isn't for you. Yet it's surprisingly cheering to think how many people have embraced this simple but heartwarming novel.

Backman, FredrikAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Due, Nina M.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mennerich, LaurenceTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ravnild, Louise ArdenfeltTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sybesma, EdithTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dear Neda. It's always meant to make you laugh. Always.
Ove is fifty-nine.
Death is a strange thing. People live their whole lives as if it does not exist, and yet it's often one of the great motivations for living. Some of us, in time, become so conscious of it that we live harder, more obstinately, with more fury. Some need its constant presence to even be aware of its antithesis. Others become so preoccupied with it that they go into the waiting room long before it has announced its arrival. We fear it, yet most of us fear more than anything that it may take someone other than ourselves. For the greatest fear of death is always that it will pass us by. And leave us there alone.

from amazon com In this bestselling and delightfully quirky debut novel from Sweden, a grumpy yet loveable man finds his solitary world turned on its head when a boisterous young family moves in next door.

Meet Ove. He’s a curmudgeon—the kind of man who points at people he dislikes as if they were burglars caught outside his bedroom window. He has staunch principles, strict routines, and a short fuse. People call him “the bitter neighbor from hell.” But must Ove be bitter just because he doesn’t walk around with a smile plastered to his face all the time?

Behind the cranky exterior there is a story and a sadness. So when one November morning a chatty young couple with two chatty young daughters move in next door and accidentally flatten Ove’s mailbox, it is the lead-in to a comical and heartwarming tale of unkempt cats, unexpected friendship, and the ancient art of backing up a U-Haul. All of which will change one cranky old man and a local residents’ association to their very foundations.

A feel-good story in the spirit of The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry and Major Pettigrew’s Last Stand, Fredrik Backman’s novel about the angry old man next door is a thoughtful and charming exploration of the profound impact one life has on countless others.

SCEPTRE EDITION:
At first sight, he is almost certainly the grumpiest man you will ever meet. He thinks himself surrounded by idiots - neighbours who can't reverse a trailer properly, joggers, shop assistants who talk in code, and the perpetrators of the vicious coup d'etat that ousted him as Chairman of the Residents' Association. He will persist in making his daily inspection rounds of the local street.

But isn't it rare, these days, to find such old-fashioned clarity of belief and deed? Such unswerving conviction about what the world should be, and a lifelong dedication to making it just so?

In the end, you will see, there is something about Ove that is quite irresistible.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,780,651 books! | Top bar: Always visible