No title (2012)

Title:
Authors:
Info:
Collections:

A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman (Author) (2012)

English (46)  Danish (2)  Spanish (2)  German (2)  Finnish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (54)
This was.....absolutely delightful!!!!!!! I loved the audio, read by George Newborn. There is no way to not have tears in your eyes over the ending---such a perfectly beautifully told story---just thinking about Ove makes with laugh with pleasure ---Sonia was right about that husband of hers. She knew him right from the start and we understand him as well as the story evolves. ( )
  nyiper | May 10, 2015 |
This was a great book. I tossed between a four or a five, but it evoked so much emotion from me I had to give it the five. I don't cry easy. My husband is the crier, believe it or not. This book made me sob. Ove is such a grumpy old man. You want to dislike him, but the book makes that impossible. He just had so much happen in his life, and he always turns around and does the right thing, the good thing. I absolutely loved this book. It is heartwarming. It's about love, both man and woman and brotherly love.

Favorite quotes: Loving someone is like moving into a house. Sonja used to say. At first you fall in love with all the new things, amazed every morning that this belongs to tou, as if fearing that someone would suddenly come rushing in through the door to explain that a terrible mistake has been made, you weren't actually supposed to live in a wonderful place like this. Then over the years the walls become weathered, the wood splinters here and there and you start to love the house not so much for its perfection, but rather for its imperfections.

And...One of the most painful moments in a persons life probably comes with the insight that an age has been reached when there is more to look back than ahead. ( )
  bwhitner | May 5, 2015 |
One of those books that inhabits that peculiar cusp whereby if I'd heard it criticised, I'd think it better than people said, and if highly praised (as it is) I'd think it somewhat overrated.

I rather like the character of Ove (a Swedish neighbourhood-watch curmudgeon whom the author should have billed as ten years older than he did), but the modern-fairytale aspect wasn't always as amusing as it could have been, just a little too cute and prim and lacking in subversiveness. If bestsellers commonly capture a zeitgeist, this one is spot on re. the sort of centre-left, middle class, organised people in their 30s and 40s who are keen on allotments and tech and nouveau-sense-of-community.

April 2015.
  antonomasia | May 5, 2015 |
A Man Called Ove is a warm and insightful story of a recently-widowed man, just recently laid off at work, and so full of loss that he is suicidal. Ove is also the grumpiest old man ever born. Circumstances and people bring about change in his life, in a positive way, and as we read the story of Ove's life, it becomes impossible to dislike the crochety old man. The book examines grief, loneliness, values, and friendship in a way that is quite profound, and the story is one in which I became so involved that I was in tears at the end of it. An excellent book; I recommend it. ( )
  ahef1963 | Apr 30, 2015 |
A grumpy, yet lovable, old man has his world turned upside down when a boisterous, friendly family moves next door. (Sweden) ( )
  creighley | Apr 24, 2015 |
Den svenske suksessbloggeren Fredrik Backman drar oss gjennom en forutsigbar fortelling som trykker på alle de rette knappene inntil vi er trygt plassert innenfor vår egen komfortsone.
added by annek49 | editNRK, Knut Hoem (May 9, 2013)

Livet är obegripligt, världen är läskig och det går inte att skydda sig mot den. Fredrik Backman berättar underhållande om botemedlet i sin debutroman.
added by annek49 | editDN, Lotta Olsson (Jan 14, 2013)

Genom humorns prisma belyser ”En man som heter Ove” teman som åldrande, vänskap, sorg, livslust och den föränderliga mansrollen. Boken är varken behärskad eller finputsad – delar är återvunna från Café-bloggen och har skarvats in lite slarvigt – men den är en skruvad och gripande romandebut som mycket väl kan vara början på ett stort humoristiskt författarskap.

This word-of-mouth bestseller has sold more than 650,000 copies in Sweden and has been a hit across Europe. It deserves to do at least as well here. I loved A Man Called Ove so much that I started to ration how much I read to prolong my time with this cantankerous, low-key, misunderstood man. If you enjoyed Rachel Joyce’s marvellous bestseller, The Unlikely Pilgrimage Of Harold Fry, you will love this book.

Each short chapter of A Man Called Ove could stand alone as a beautifully crafted short story. Bring the chapters together and you have the most uplifting, life-affirming and often comic tale of how kindness, love and happiness can be found in the most unlikely places

Backman's tale of 59-yea-old curmudgeon, Ove, not only captured the hearts of Backman's fellow Swedes, but has also swept across Europe as a word-of-mouth best-seller; a domino effect that suggests community spirit and social responsibility isn't quite so lacking as we're often told it is....On occasion the slightly repetitive tone becomes cloying, but Backman can tickle the funny bone and tug on the heart strings when he needs to, and is a clever enough storyteller to not overindulge in either.

For those of you who don't want your fiction to make you feel warm and fuzzy inside, A Man Called Ove isn't for you. Yet it's surprisingly cheering to think how many people have embraced this simple but heartwarming novel.

Backman, FredrikAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Due, Nina M.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mennerich, LaurenceTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ravnild, Louise ArdenfeltTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sybesma, EdithTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dear Neda It's always meant to make you laugh. Always
Ove är 59 år gammal.
Ove is fifty- nine.

from amazon com In this bestselling and delightfully quirky debut novel from Sweden, a grumpy yet loveable man finds his solitary world turned on its head when a boisterous young family moves in next door.

Meet Ove. He’s a curmudgeon—the kind of man who points at people he dislikes as if they were burglars caught outside his bedroom window. He has staunch principles, strict routines, and a short fuse. People call him “the bitter neighbor from hell.” But must Ove be bitter just because he doesn’t walk around with a smile plastered to his face all the time?

Behind the cranky exterior there is a story and a sadness. So when one November morning a chatty young couple with two chatty young daughters move in next door and accidentally flatten Ove’s mailbox, it is the lead-in to a comical and heartwarming tale of unkempt cats, unexpected friendship, and the ancient art of backing up a U-Haul. All of which will change one cranky old man and a local residents’ association to their very foundations.

A feel-good story in the spirit of The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry and Major Pettigrew’s Last Stand, Fredrik Backman’s novel about the angry old man next door is a thoughtful and charming exploration of the profound impact one life has on countless others.

SCEPTRE EDITION:
At first sight, he is almost certainly the grumpiest man you will ever meet. He thinks himself surrounded by idiots - neighbours who can't reverse a trailer properly, joggers, shop assistants who talk in code, and the perpetrators of the vicious coup d'etat that ousted him as Chairman of the Residents' Association. He will persist in making his daily inspection rounds of the local street.

But isn't it rare, these days, to find such old-fashioned clarity of belief and deed? Such unswerving conviction about what the world should be, and a lifelong dedication to making it just so?

In the end, you will see, there is something about Ove that is quite irresistible.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,184,750 books! | Top bar: Always visible