No title (2012)

Title:
Authors:
Info:
Collections:

A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman (Author) (2012)

English (122)  German (5)  Spanish (2)  Danish (2)  Finnish (1)  Dutch (1)  Piratical (1)  Norwegian (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (136)
I listened to this charming book after an online friend recommended the audiobook over the printed book. I had heard good things about the book and I'm always looking for good audiobooks to listen to. This one was available as a streaming audiobook from Hoopla. I thought George Newbern did a great job of the narration.

Ove wants to commit suicide. His beloved wife, Sonja, died six months ago and now he has been let go from the job he has held for 30 years. He misses Sonja and he doesn't feel he has anything left to live for. He's always been somewhat of a curmudgeon and he doesn't have any friends. He and his neighbour in the residential complex fell out many years ago. As he is figuring out where to position the hook from which to hang himself a new family moves in across the street. Contrary to posted signs they have brought their vehicle onto the residential street and proceeded to try to back up a trailer, hitting Ove's mailbox in the process. Of course, Ove has to curse about people that can't even bloody back up a trailer and then go out and back it up himself. The wife, Parvana, is very pregnant and very cross with her husband Patrick but she is grateful to Ove. Little does Ove realize it but his life is about to change.

This book was just what I needed to lighten my mood with all the horrible news lately. If you are in need of some distraction I recommend listening (or reading) this book. ( )
  gypsysmom | Jul 17, 2016 |
A delightful read. Ove is an elderly Swedish widower, completely convinced life has nothing positive to offer him. He is obstinate and set in his ways. This is a lovely story of how a young family in his neighborhood gradually opens up Ove's point of view to a positive outlook. It feels like a true story. It is touching, but not sappy. Highly recommend. ( )
  meltonmarty | Jul 12, 2016 |
I absolutely loved this book. The characters were well developed and very entertaining. Ove (oo-vah) is such a grumpy man he reminds me of a combination of men in my life. I know a book is good when it brings out different emotions in me. This one made me smile, made me sad, made me laugh out loud and made me cry so hard the tears were dripping off my chin and my dog was comforting me with a paw on my shoulder. I totally fell in love with all these characters and didn't want the book to end. I'm not ready to let these characters go. I listened to the audiobook and George Newbern did a fantastic job.

This book is being placed on my all-time favorite book list and I will be recommending it to everyone when they ask if I have a book to recommend. I rarely read a book twice, this is one I would read over and over. Please take the time to meet Ove and the cast of characters who come into his life. You will not be disappointed. ( )
  MHanover10 | Jul 11, 2016 |
I loved this book so much, mostly I think because it reminded me so much of my father. He, like Ove, was not an easy man to know and I can't say he ever let me get very close. But I know that he loved me unconditionally, unlike the other members of my family. Just like Ove. ( )
  readingrebecca | Jul 9, 2016 |
I picked up this book at a library book sale. Thankfully, I only spent $1. I am confused by all the 5 star reviews. It is not a bad read there is just nothing unique about it. The Plot: predictable. A Bitter old man wants to die but learns there are still some things worth fighting for. The writing: Average. The characters: cliche. This would be a good book for someone who hasn't done much reading so that it won't feel overdone to them. ( )
1 vote Lynsey2 | Jul 5, 2016 |
Den svenske suksessbloggeren Fredrik Backman drar oss gjennom en forutsigbar fortelling som trykker på alle de rette knappene inntil vi er trygt plassert innenfor vår egen komfortsone.
added by annek49 | editNRK, Knut Hoem (May 9, 2013)

Livet är obegripligt, världen är läskig och det går inte att skydda sig mot den. Fredrik Backman berättar underhållande om botemedlet i sin debutroman.
added by annek49 | editDN, Lotta Olsson (Jan 14, 2013)

Genom humorns prisma belyser ”En man som heter Ove” teman som åldrande, vänskap, sorg, livslust och den föränderliga mansrollen. Boken är varken behärskad eller finputsad – delar är återvunna från Café-bloggen och har skarvats in lite slarvigt – men den är en skruvad och gripande romandebut som mycket väl kan vara början på ett stort humoristiskt författarskap.

This word-of-mouth bestseller has sold more than 650,000 copies in Sweden and has been a hit across Europe. It deserves to do at least as well here. I loved A Man Called Ove so much that I started to ration how much I read to prolong my time with this cantankerous, low-key, misunderstood man. If you enjoyed Rachel Joyce’s marvellous bestseller, The Unlikely Pilgrimage Of Harold Fry, you will love this book.

Each short chapter of A Man Called Ove could stand alone as a beautifully crafted short story. Bring the chapters together and you have the most uplifting, life-affirming and often comic tale of how kindness, love and happiness can be found in the most unlikely places

Backman's tale of 59-yea-old curmudgeon, Ove, not only captured the hearts of Backman's fellow Swedes, but has also swept across Europe as a word-of-mouth best-seller; a domino effect that suggests community spirit and social responsibility isn't quite so lacking as we're often told it is....On occasion the slightly repetitive tone becomes cloying, but Backman can tickle the funny bone and tug on the heart strings when he needs to, and is a clever enough storyteller to not overindulge in either.

For those of you who don't want your fiction to make you feel warm and fuzzy inside, A Man Called Ove isn't for you. Yet it's surprisingly cheering to think how many people have embraced this simple but heartwarming novel.

Backman, FredrikAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Due, Nina M.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mennerich, LaurenceTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ravnild, Louise ArdenfeltTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sybesma, EdithTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dear Neda. It's always meant to make you laugh. Always.
Ove is fifty-nine.
Death is a strange thing. People live their whole lives as if it does not exist, and yet it's often one of the great motivations for living. Some of us, in time, become so conscious of it that we live harder, more obstinately, with more fury. Some need its constant presence to even be aware of its antithesis. Others become so preoccupied with it that they go into the waiting room long before it has announced its arrival. We fear it, yet most of us fear more than anything that it may take someone other than ourselves. For the greatest fear of death is always that it will pass us by. And leave us there alone.

Book box H

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,484,544 books! | Top bar: Always visible