En man som heter Ove by Fredrik Backman

En man som heter Ove (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Fredrik Backman, Torsten Wahlund

Info:Stockholm : Bonnier Audio, cop. 2012
Collections:Books read in Swedish, Read but unowned
Rating:*****
Tags:Fiction, Swedish authors, Sweden, Audiobooks, Humor, Loneliness

A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman (Author) (2012)

14 (1) aging (1) ARC (2) audiobook (2) bitterness (1) buitenland (1) fiction (15) friendship (6) grief (2) humor (10) immigrants (1) loneliness (4) love (2) mænd (2) neighborhoods (1) novel (3) old age (2) old men (1) proof copy (1) read (2) Roman (4) Saab (2) sv (1) Sweden (11) swedish (5) Swedish literature (2) to-read (3) translation (2) u (1) ældre (1)

English (10)  Danish (2)  Finnish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (14)
Swedish mysteries and thrillers have captured the world’s attention but Fredrik Backman’s internationally bestselling debut Swedish novel, A Man Called Ove, is a very different kind of story. What is it about curmudgeons that has such a universal appeal? Literary history is littered with these crusty, grumpy characters with sometimes deeply buried hearts of gold, and they never seem to fail to win our hearts. Ove is no exception to that rule. If you think one person can’t make a difference, think again. Now let’s get to know Ove at http://popcornreads.com/?p=7534. ( )
  PopcornReads | Jul 22, 2014 |
A wonderful debut novel by Swedish author Fredrik Backman, A Man Called Ove had me laughing out loud, and blinking back tears.

“He was a man of black and white…. Ove wanted what was right to be right, and what was wrong to be wrong.”

Ove is a man who believes in order, routine and rules, he has worked hard all of his life, paid his taxes, taken care of his beloved wife and his house but now, forced into retirement and alone at 59, he no longer has any wish to continue on. He has made his peace, planned carefully for his departure, but is wholly unprepared for what follows after his new neighbours accidentally flatten his mailbox.

Undaunted by Ove’s inflexible opinions, gruff manner and short temper, Parveneh and her family make demands of Ove that he cannot resist. And then comes a mangy cat, a homeless teen and a man in a white shirt, and slowly, despite his best intentions, Ove begins to live again.

Simultaneously heartbreaking and uplifting, this is a story about love, grief, life, death and Saab’s. Told with heartfelt emotion, wry insight and a sense of humour, Backman has created an endearing character, few will be able to dismiss.

“It isn’t what a man says that matters, it is what he does.”

For all that it made me feel, I’m declaring A Man Called Ove my favourite book of the year so far. ( )
  shelleyraec | Jul 20, 2014 |
What a fantastic novel. If you read one book this summer then it should be A MAN CALLED OVE. Read my full review on my blog: https://bookbindersdaughter.wordpress.com/2014/07/16/review-a-man-called-ove-by-fredrik-backman/ ( )
  magistrab | Jul 16, 2014 |
A Man called Ove just wants to be left alone to kill himself and he would do so if it weren’t for those idiotic neighbours interfering with his plans. When his constant vigilance isn’t needed to prevent them from breaking the neighbourhood rules, his assistance is needed to prevent one disaster after another. So what’s a grumpy old man to do when death is calling but life just keeps demanding his attention?

A Man Called Ove is the debut novel by Swedish author Fredrik Backman and what a funny, sweet tale it is. It is a story of love, loss, grief, loneliness, and the importance of community and it will make you laugh and cry in equal measures. Backman has created some wonderfully eccentric characters including Ove one of the most likable curmudgeons you’ll meet in literature. It is Ove’s outward grump and inward marshmallow that keeps the story from slipping over the line from sweet to schmaltz. He is rigid, opinionated, but, ultimately, endearing. A Man Called Ove is a heart-warming tale of the importance of community and how diversity of all types, rather than dividing it, makes it stronger ( )
  lostinalibrary | Jul 15, 2014 |
I was delighted to be able to read an e-galley of A Man Called Ove thanks to the publisher and Netgalley. It turned out to be possibly my favorite book of the year. The characters are wonderful and quirky, and I liked how the backstory was revealed as I read. I found it interesting to read about a typical Swedish community and to see the similarities and differences of our cultures. As they say, I laughed; I cried. It was a nice change of pace to read a book about a man with great ethics and everlasting dedication to his wife, yet with plenty of human faults. It reminds us that it benefits everyone for the community to have people of all ages and types, and that bureaucracy often needs to be challenged. It is a wonderful love story that I would recommend to all readers. ( )
  Loried | Jul 12, 2014 |
Den svenske suksessbloggeren Fredrik Backman drar oss gjennom en forutsigbar fortelling som trykker på alle de rette knappene inntil vi er trygt plassert innenfor vår egen komfortsone.
added by annek49 | editNRK, Knut Hoem (May 9, 2013)

Livet är obegripligt, världen är läskig och det går inte att skydda sig mot den. Fredrik Backman berättar underhållande om botemedlet i sin debutroman.
added by annek49 | editDN, Lotta Olsson (Jan 14, 2013)

Genom humorns prisma belyser ”En man som heter Ove” teman som åldrande, vänskap, sorg, livslust och den föränderliga mansrollen. Boken är varken behärskad eller finputsad – delar är återvunna från Café-bloggen och har skarvats in lite slarvigt – men den är en skruvad och gripande romandebut som mycket väl kan vara början på ett stort humoristiskt författarskap.

Backman, FredrikAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Due, Nina M.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mennerich, LaurenceTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ravnild, Louise ArdenfeltTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sybesma, EdithTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ove är 59 år gammal.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,478,859 books! | Top bar: Always visible