No title (2012)

Title:
Authors:
Info:
Collections:

A Man Called Ove: A Novel by Fredrik Backman (Author) (2012)

English (137)  German (5)  Spanish (2)  Danish (2)  Finnish (1)  Dutch (1)  Piratical (1)  Norwegian (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (151)
A rigid angry man is cajoled into caring for others and adjusting his life for them. A feel good book that is, however, quite predictable. ( )
  snash | Sep 30, 2016 |
This is one of the best books I have read lately. An elderly man with his own set of principles misses his deceased wife (she is the only one who really understood him). He makes the decision to commit suicide. A new pregnant neighbor with children interrupts the best laid plans. Ove grumps his way through all the requests put upon him and the failure at committing suicide (multiple times). He is a wonderful character and the ending is perfect. ( )
  joannemonck | Sep 27, 2016 |
Oh my goodness. I haven't had this much emotion over a book in such a long time. It made me laugh. It made me laugh a lot, even in the saddest parts. There was still so much humor. I read this wherever and whenever I could - late at night, early in the morning, during silent reading time in class. I laughed so much that my students thought I was crazy. And then I bawled. And I laughed through my tears. The last few pages of the book will probably be tear-stained a bit, but wow. This is an amazing book. My very, very small quibble, (and let's be honest, it's because I'm American and Ove is markedly not. I'm imagining him hollering at me for such a small gripe.) is that Ove seems twenty years old than he actually is. That very, very, very minor detail aside, everyone should read this book. It's subtle, humble, heartwarming, profound, but mostly, just plain hysterical. ( )
  EllAreBee | Sep 19, 2016 |
This was really an enjoyable book! I could certainly empathize with Ove and totally understand his attitude toward his neighbours, even if I only based it on his age. Make sure you have some tissues handy. ( )
  LidijaThompson | Sep 19, 2016 |
My mother told me to read this book, that I would enjoy it. As usual, Mom was right. ( )
  tstan | Sep 4, 2016 |
Den svenske suksessbloggeren Fredrik Backman drar oss gjennom en forutsigbar fortelling som trykker på alle de rette knappene inntil vi er trygt plassert innenfor vår egen komfortsone.
added by annek49 | editNRK, Knut Hoem (May 9, 2013)

Livet är obegripligt, världen är läskig och det går inte att skydda sig mot den. Fredrik Backman berättar underhållande om botemedlet i sin debutroman.
added by annek49 | editDN, Lotta Olsson (Jan 14, 2013)

Genom humorns prisma belyser ”En man som heter Ove” teman som åldrande, vänskap, sorg, livslust och den föränderliga mansrollen. Boken är varken behärskad eller finputsad – delar är återvunna från Café-bloggen och har skarvats in lite slarvigt – men den är en skruvad och gripande romandebut som mycket väl kan vara början på ett stort humoristiskt författarskap.

This word-of-mouth bestseller has sold more than 650,000 copies in Sweden and has been a hit across Europe. It deserves to do at least as well here. I loved A Man Called Ove so much that I started to ration how much I read to prolong my time with this cantankerous, low-key, misunderstood man. If you enjoyed Rachel Joyce’s marvellous bestseller, The Unlikely Pilgrimage Of Harold Fry, you will love this book.

Each short chapter of A Man Called Ove could stand alone as a beautifully crafted short story. Bring the chapters together and you have the most uplifting, life-affirming and often comic tale of how kindness, love and happiness can be found in the most unlikely places

Backman's tale of 59-yea-old curmudgeon, Ove, not only captured the hearts of Backman's fellow Swedes, but has also swept across Europe as a word-of-mouth best-seller; a domino effect that suggests community spirit and social responsibility isn't quite so lacking as we're often told it is....On occasion the slightly repetitive tone becomes cloying, but Backman can tickle the funny bone and tug on the heart strings when he needs to, and is a clever enough storyteller to not overindulge in either.

For those of you who don't want your fiction to make you feel warm and fuzzy inside, A Man Called Ove isn't for you. Yet it's surprisingly cheering to think how many people have embraced this simple but heartwarming novel.

Backman, FredrikAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Due, Nina M.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mennerich, LaurenceTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ravnild, Louise ArdenfeltTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sybesma, EdithTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dear Neda. It's always meant to make you laugh. Always.
Ove is fifty-nine.
Death is a strange thing. People live their whole lives as if it does not exist, and yet it's often one of the great motivations for living. Some of us, in time, become so conscious of it that we live harder, more obstinately, with more fury. Some need its constant presence to even be aware of its antithesis. Others become so preoccupied with it that they go into the waiting room long before it has announced its arrival. We fear it, yet most of us fear more than anything that it may take someone other than ourselves. For the greatest fear of death is always that it will pass us by. And leave us there alone.

Book box H

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,271,775 books! | Top bar: Always visible