No title (2012)

Title:
Authors:
Info:
Collections:

A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman (Author) (2012)

English (53)  German (3)  Danish (2)  Spanish (2)  Finnish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (62)
What a delightful book. I discovered this book at a used bookstore and decided to take a chance on it. So glad I did! I loved it and am looking forward to reading more from this author. ( )
  LSUTiger | Aug 20, 2015 |
Ove is a grouchy old man at 59. He is inflexible, judgmental, critical, and an Enforcer of Rules. People just don't live up to his standards. (Reminder to self – don't become like Ove,)

And I loved him completely from the second paragraph.

“He drives a Saab. He's the kind of man who points at people he doesn't like the look of, as if they were burglars and his forefinger a policeman's flashlight.”

He just can't seem to manage the one task he most wants to complete.

Except when going back in his history, this novel is written in present tense, something hard to do well, but I love it in this book.

The writing is wonderfully descriptive without being overdone, and is quite funny in places.

“Ove looks at the book more or less as if it just sent him a chain letter insisting that the book was really a Nigerian prince who had a 'very lucrative investment opportunity' for Ove and now only needed Ove's account number 'to sort something out.'”

“...she sounded the way Ove imagined champagne bubbles would have sounded if they were capable of laughter.”

Despite his best intentions to be miserable, his new neighbors won't leave him alone. Very Pregnant Parvaneh won't just let him be, is demanding, sarcastic, and a wonderful character. Her three-year old, delighted by everything, and her world-weary seven-year old . Her tolerant husband seems like a wuss, but is also completely likable. And there are “the men in white shirts,” the bureaucrats who man Ove's live miserable.

And then there is the Cat Annoyance, with unstoppable attitude. (Reminds me of my ancient kitty, who is NOT, in his old age, a pretty sight.)

Key phrases are repeated or paraphrased later in the story, and adds to the continuity.

Despite correcting someone else's grammar, Ove's is occasionally wrong, using the wrong subjective/objective I/me, but I think that is due to translation. Ove certainly would not make such a mistake.

I'm not a fast reader, but I read this book in a day, just because I didn't want to do anything else until I finished it. The book is delightful. ( )
1 vote TooBusyReading | Aug 14, 2015 |
This book had me laughing and crying and I enjoyed reading it very much. We meet Ove while he is grieving over the death of his wife Sonja. We only meet Sonja through Ove’s eyes and he describes her as a woman of colour and laughter. Ove is an honest and practical man who sees the world in black and white. The other characters in the novel are neighbours in the cul-de-sac where Ove lives; in particular Parvaneh, her partner Patrick and their children. Parvaneh is a warm-hearted woman who takes Ove’s brusqueness in her stride and becomes his friend after they move in to the cul-de-sac. Other neighbours have been there a long time and are old friends or enemies. Ove’s back story is revealed gradually and his character becomes more sympathetic, as you understand how his life has been. The other important character is the cat which has also had a tough life but has found Ove and becomes his side-kick. A lovely read. ( )
1 vote Tifi | Aug 4, 2015 |
This is definitely my favorite book of 2015. I've known old men like Ove, and haven't always liked them, but maybe I would have loved them eventually as I came to love Ove by the end of the book. He is grieving the death of his wife, loses his job, tries numerous times to kill himself, but always ends up interrupting the suicide attempts to help his feckless neighbors. It is filled with humor and humanity and is just a treasure. ( )
1 vote terran | Aug 3, 2015 |
Lovely book, about Ove, a grumpy Saab-loving Swede who can fix anything, and has little patience for those who can't. Deeply missed his wife Sophie (? Sophia), and is impatient with new neighbors who include a pregnant Iranian woman and her Swedish husband and their two girls. He has no use for "men in white shirts" -- bureaucrats. Seemingly against his will, he and an assortment of characters worm their ways into each other's lives... Funny, poignant, sad, lovely... ( )
3 vote DavidO1103 | Jul 11, 2015 |
Den svenske suksessbloggeren Fredrik Backman drar oss gjennom en forutsigbar fortelling som trykker på alle de rette knappene inntil vi er trygt plassert innenfor vår egen komfortsone.
added by annek49 | editNRK, Knut Hoem (May 9, 2013)

Livet är obegripligt, världen är läskig och det går inte att skydda sig mot den. Fredrik Backman berättar underhållande om botemedlet i sin debutroman.
added by annek49 | editDN, Lotta Olsson (Jan 14, 2013)

Genom humorns prisma belyser ”En man som heter Ove” teman som åldrande, vänskap, sorg, livslust och den föränderliga mansrollen. Boken är varken behärskad eller finputsad – delar är återvunna från Café-bloggen och har skarvats in lite slarvigt – men den är en skruvad och gripande romandebut som mycket väl kan vara början på ett stort humoristiskt författarskap.

This word-of-mouth bestseller has sold more than 650,000 copies in Sweden and has been a hit across Europe. It deserves to do at least as well here. I loved A Man Called Ove so much that I started to ration how much I read to prolong my time with this cantankerous, low-key, misunderstood man. If you enjoyed Rachel Joyce’s marvellous bestseller, The Unlikely Pilgrimage Of Harold Fry, you will love this book.

Each short chapter of A Man Called Ove could stand alone as a beautifully crafted short story. Bring the chapters together and you have the most uplifting, life-affirming and often comic tale of how kindness, love and happiness can be found in the most unlikely places

Backman's tale of 59-yea-old curmudgeon, Ove, not only captured the hearts of Backman's fellow Swedes, but has also swept across Europe as a word-of-mouth best-seller; a domino effect that suggests community spirit and social responsibility isn't quite so lacking as we're often told it is....On occasion the slightly repetitive tone becomes cloying, but Backman can tickle the funny bone and tug on the heart strings when he needs to, and is a clever enough storyteller to not overindulge in either.

For those of you who don't want your fiction to make you feel warm and fuzzy inside, A Man Called Ove isn't for you. Yet it's surprisingly cheering to think how many people have embraced this simple but heartwarming novel.

Backman, FredrikAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Due, Nina M.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mennerich, LaurenceTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ravnild, Louise ArdenfeltTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sybesma, EdithTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dear Neda It's always meant to make you laugh. Always
Ove är 59 år gammal.
Ove is fifty- nine.

from amazon com In this bestselling and delightfully quirky debut novel from Sweden, a grumpy yet loveable man finds his solitary world turned on its head when a boisterous young family moves in next door.

Meet Ove. He’s a curmudgeon—the kind of man who points at people he dislikes as if they were burglars caught outside his bedroom window. He has staunch principles, strict routines, and a short fuse. People call him “the bitter neighbor from hell.” But must Ove be bitter just because he doesn’t walk around with a smile plastered to his face all the time?

Behind the cranky exterior there is a story and a sadness. So when one November morning a chatty young couple with two chatty young daughters move in next door and accidentally flatten Ove’s mailbox, it is the lead-in to a comical and heartwarming tale of unkempt cats, unexpected friendship, and the ancient art of backing up a U-Haul. All of which will change one cranky old man and a local residents’ association to their very foundations.

A feel-good story in the spirit of The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry and Major Pettigrew’s Last Stand, Fredrik Backman’s novel about the angry old man next door is a thoughtful and charming exploration of the profound impact one life has on countless others.

SCEPTRE EDITION:
At first sight, he is almost certainly the grumpiest man you will ever meet. He thinks himself surrounded by idiots - neighbours who can't reverse a trailer properly, joggers, shop assistants who talk in code, and the perpetrators of the vicious coup d'etat that ousted him as Chairman of the Residents' Association. He will persist in making his daily inspection rounds of the local street.

But isn't it rare, these days, to find such old-fashioned clarity of belief and deed? Such unswerving conviction about what the world should be, and a lifelong dedication to making it just so?

In the end, you will see, there is something about Ove that is quite irresistible.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,073,629 books! | Top bar: Always visible