No title (2012)

A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman (2012)

English (68)  German (4)  Danish (2)  Spanish (2)  Finnish (1)  Dutch (1)  Piratical (1)  All languages (79)
This is a heartwarming story of a man called Ove. He is your average quintessential grumpy pensioner who has been somewhat left behind by the modern world. Ove's hilarious observations about the people around him are really quite apt. Everyone has known somebody like Ove in their lifetime.

As the story unfolds, the reader is introduced to Ove's life, and all the hardships and happiness he has been through. There is a lot of dark comedy, how Ove is constantly interrupted from committing suicide by annoying neighbours, and how even a modern rope can't even perform its function correctly as it snaps in half because of its poor quality.

I found it so sad how Ove felt after his wife died and it was lovely to see Ove be embraced by a community without him knowing or even wanting it. Grumpy git right to the end. I grew so attached to Ove that his story had me at some points shedding a tear. Much like his neighbours, I grew to love that man. ( )
  KittyBimble | Nov 26, 2015 |
I found this book mawkish and painfully overdrawn. I couldn't finish it. ( )
  nancenwv | Nov 22, 2015 |
I simply loved this book! If Ove lived in my community I would not have understood him and would have thought he was nuts with all his rules. His thinking is much too black and white for me. But reading about him was a delight. I learned to love Ove from all the people who loved him. Do yourself an immense favor and read this wonderful book about a curmudgeon with a huge heart. ( )
  whymaggiemay | Nov 21, 2015 |
Ove is familiar to anyone acquainted with cantankerous Swedish bachelor farmers – short on words, long on opinions! Picture just about every codger whose only respite from 24/7 cable news is complaining about the world at the morning coffee shop – except in Ove’s case with fewer social skills. Although he’s not technically a bachelor: He is saved from that fate by his beloved and recently departed Sonja, whom we come to know and also cherish through Ove’s many musings. Ove finds little lovable or redeemable, so his love of Sonja and her reciprocal love redeems him. Ove is utterly convinced of the of the rightness of his opinions. He *knows* what is right, and knowing what is right usually means disagreeing with just about everyone around him. That he pursues right at others’ and even his own inconvenience becomes increasingly endearing.

In his debut novel, Backman deftly allows us to see the world only through Ove’s experience. What delights is how Ove is reflected back to us through other’s reactions to him. A delightful cast of neighbors, store clerks and government officials confound Ove’s every effort to separate himself from them. Backman’s writing is thoroughly enjoyable -- he is a master of metaphor and simile, especially when giving ‘voice’ to conversations with a willful stray cat. All builds to a deeply emotional a surprisingly satisfying ending.
1 vote michigantrumpet | Nov 18, 2015 |
Not my kind of book. The main character is negative and repetitive and I didn't even make it half way though. Kind of negative of me, huh!
  asyouth | Nov 2, 2015 |
Den svenske suksessbloggeren Fredrik Backman drar oss gjennom en forutsigbar fortelling som trykker på alle de rette knappene inntil vi er trygt plassert innenfor vår egen komfortsone.
added by annek49 | editNRK, Knut Hoem (May 9, 2013)
Livet är obegripligt, världen är läskig och det går inte att skydda sig mot den. Fredrik Backman berättar underhållande om botemedlet i sin debutroman.
added by annek49 | editDN, Lotta Olsson (Jan 14, 2013)
Genom humorns prisma belyser ”En man som heter Ove” teman som åldrande, vänskap, sorg, livslust och den föränderliga mansrollen. Boken är varken behärskad eller finputsad – delar är återvunna från Café-bloggen och har skarvats in lite slarvigt – men den är en skruvad och gripande romandebut som mycket väl kan vara början på ett stort humoristiskt författarskap.
This word-of-mouth bestseller has sold more than 650,000 copies in Sweden and has been a hit across Europe. It deserves to do at least as well here. I loved A Man Called Ove so much that I started to ration how much I read to prolong my time with this cantankerous, low-key, misunderstood man. If you enjoyed Rachel Joyce’s marvellous bestseller, The Unlikely Pilgrimage Of Harold Fry, you will love this book.

Each short chapter of A Man Called Ove could stand alone as a beautifully crafted short story. Bring the chapters together and you have the most uplifting, life-affirming and often comic tale of how kindness, love and happiness can be found in the most unlikely places
Backman's tale of 59-yea-old curmudgeon, Ove, not only captured the hearts of Backman's fellow Swedes, but has also swept across Europe as a word-of-mouth best-seller; a domino effect that suggests community spirit and social responsibility isn't quite so lacking as we're often told it is....On occasion the slightly repetitive tone becomes cloying, but Backman can tickle the funny bone and tug on the heart strings when he needs to, and is a clever enough storyteller to not overindulge in either.

For those of you who don't want your fiction to make you feel warm and fuzzy inside, A Man Called Ove isn't for you. Yet it's surprisingly cheering to think how many people have embraced this simple but heartwarming novel.

Backman, Fredrikprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Due, Nina M.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mennerich, LaurenceTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ravnild, Louise ArdenfeltTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sybesma, EdithTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dear Neda It's always meant to make you laugh. Always
Ove is fifty- nine.

from amazon com In this bestselling and delightfully quirky debut novel from Sweden, a grumpy yet loveable man finds his solitary world turned on its head when a boisterous young family moves in next door.

Meet Ove. He’s a curmudgeon—the kind of man who points at people he dislikes as if they were burglars caught outside his bedroom window. He has staunch principles, strict routines, and a short fuse. People call him “the bitter neighbor from hell.” But must Ove be bitter just because he doesn’t walk around with a smile plastered to his face all the time?

Behind the cranky exterior there is a story and a sadness. So when one November morning a chatty young couple with two chatty young daughters move in next door and accidentally flatten Ove’s mailbox, it is the lead-in to a comical and heartwarming tale of unkempt cats, unexpected friendship, and the ancient art of backing up a U-Haul. All of which will change one cranky old man and a local residents’ association to their very foundations.

A feel-good story in the spirit of The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry and Major Pettigrew’s Last Stand, Fredrik Backman’s novel about the angry old man next door is a thoughtful and charming exploration of the profound impact one life has on countless others.

At first sight, he is almost certainly the grumpiest man you will ever meet. He thinks himself surrounded by idiots - neighbours who can't reverse a trailer properly, joggers, shop assistants who talk in code, and the perpetrators of the vicious coup d'etat that ousted him as Chairman of the Residents' Association. He will persist in making his daily inspection rounds of the local street.

But isn't it rare, these days, to find such old-fashioned clarity of belief and deed? Such unswerving conviction about what the world should be, and a lifelong dedication to making it just so?

In the end, you will see, there is something about Ove that is quite irresistible.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,880,763 books! | Top bar: Always visible