No title (2012)

Title:
Authors:
Info:
Collections:

A Man Called Ove: A Novel by Fredrik Backman (Author) (2012)

Recently added byprivate library, catarina1, e-zReader, dhalpee, BAP1012, peggybr, becker, Suzanne.speterson, Bookwyrmle

English (130)  German (5)  Spanish (2)  Danish (2)  Finnish (1)  Dutch (1)  Piratical (1)  Norwegian (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (144)
I listened to this as an audiobook and found myself loving it. Ove, a widower, lives by himself in a small community in Sweden. He is depressed by the loss of his wife and finds no purpose in life until a young family moves next door and bit by bit edge him out of his shell. Very uplifting - well written. ( )
  peggybr | Aug 25, 2016 |
Beautifully written, charming story of a sweet curmudgeon. Had me laughing and wiping copious tears away. This chap was so English I couldn't believe it was a translation from Swedish, but yes humanity and human foibles are universal. A life-affirming, moving, lovely read, with real, fully rounded characters. ( )
  LARA335 | Aug 24, 2016 |
Definitely one of the best books I have ever read. It actually made me cry in a couple of places. I recommend the audio version, it was beautifully narrated. Funny, sad and very fulfilling. Very highly recommended! ( )
  erinclark | Aug 22, 2016 |
Ove is a curmudgeon, age 59 and living in Sweden. He’s a guy who likes things a certain way – the perfect personality for leading the residents’ association in his community. Unfortunately, he was ousted in what he called a coup d’etas by his (former) best buddy Rune. A Man Called Ove tells his story and back story, woven nicely together by the author. There are parts of A Man Called Ove that are laugh-out-loud funny and others brought tears to my eyes.

There’s so much to say about this wonderful book, but I hesitate to say too much, not wanting to spoil readers’ fun by revealing too much. It’s best to let it unfold … and just enjoy it. Anyone who has ever known a lovable curmudgeon will enjoy A Man Called Ove. Now I can’t wait to see the movie! ( )
  NewsieQ | Aug 22, 2016 |
This story of a grumpy old Swedish man left me in awe of the author's writing. Fredrik Backman created such real life characters that I am convinced I have personally met these people. The story held my attention and gripped my heart in all the right moments. I am so happy I read this novel! ( )
1 vote niquetteb | Aug 21, 2016 |
Den svenske suksessbloggeren Fredrik Backman drar oss gjennom en forutsigbar fortelling som trykker på alle de rette knappene inntil vi er trygt plassert innenfor vår egen komfortsone.
added by annek49 | editNRK, Knut Hoem (May 9, 2013)

Livet är obegripligt, världen är läskig och det går inte att skydda sig mot den. Fredrik Backman berättar underhållande om botemedlet i sin debutroman.
added by annek49 | editDN, Lotta Olsson (Jan 14, 2013)

Genom humorns prisma belyser ”En man som heter Ove” teman som åldrande, vänskap, sorg, livslust och den föränderliga mansrollen. Boken är varken behärskad eller finputsad – delar är återvunna från Café-bloggen och har skarvats in lite slarvigt – men den är en skruvad och gripande romandebut som mycket väl kan vara början på ett stort humoristiskt författarskap.

This word-of-mouth bestseller has sold more than 650,000 copies in Sweden and has been a hit across Europe. It deserves to do at least as well here. I loved A Man Called Ove so much that I started to ration how much I read to prolong my time with this cantankerous, low-key, misunderstood man. If you enjoyed Rachel Joyce’s marvellous bestseller, The Unlikely Pilgrimage Of Harold Fry, you will love this book.

Each short chapter of A Man Called Ove could stand alone as a beautifully crafted short story. Bring the chapters together and you have the most uplifting, life-affirming and often comic tale of how kindness, love and happiness can be found in the most unlikely places

Backman's tale of 59-yea-old curmudgeon, Ove, not only captured the hearts of Backman's fellow Swedes, but has also swept across Europe as a word-of-mouth best-seller; a domino effect that suggests community spirit and social responsibility isn't quite so lacking as we're often told it is....On occasion the slightly repetitive tone becomes cloying, but Backman can tickle the funny bone and tug on the heart strings when he needs to, and is a clever enough storyteller to not overindulge in either.

For those of you who don't want your fiction to make you feel warm and fuzzy inside, A Man Called Ove isn't for you. Yet it's surprisingly cheering to think how many people have embraced this simple but heartwarming novel.

Backman, FredrikAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Due, Nina M.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mennerich, LaurenceTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ravnild, Louise ArdenfeltTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sybesma, EdithTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dear Neda. It's always meant to make you laugh. Always.
Ove is fifty-nine.
Death is a strange thing. People live their whole lives as if it does not exist, and yet it's often one of the great motivations for living. Some of us, in time, become so conscious of it that we live harder, more obstinately, with more fury. Some need its constant presence to even be aware of its antithesis. Others become so preoccupied with it that they go into the waiting room long before it has announced its arrival. We fear it, yet most of us fear more than anything that it may take someone other than ourselves. For the greatest fear of death is always that it will pass us by. And leave us there alone.

Book box H

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,391,876 books! | Top bar: Always visible